A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   PF 4.2 A8 QS Front Fog/spot lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4693)

barzya8 30th April 2012 04:34 PM

PF 4.2 A8 QS Front Fog/spot lights

Can anyone help please. :Confused:
My front Fog/spot lights will not work.
Checked the relay and believe this to be okay, as it also works the rear fog light, which does come on
Checked fuses etc which all seem to be okay.
Checked the dashboard switch with a replacement switch. Both show power going to the switch, but still no lights come on.
This relay is in the passenger footwell under the floor panel.
Is there any other relays/fuses I should be checking?

Thanks
David

Curtis 21st April 2013 09:43 PM

had same issue with mine the rear fog worked so i thought the relay was fine and after getting fed up just bought a new relay and it worked.the relay was not expensive so give it a try.

sloss 22nd April 2013 07:22 AM

Better late than never.....+++:D:ROFL:

Tony 28th October 2013 07:10 AM

A8 D2 Front fogs not working,

Have got the same problem with front fogs. When pushing the front fog switch the switch brights up dimly but the lights do not come on.
The fuse is not blown and looks fine.
Have fitted a new switch and relay in the passenger footwell but the lights still do not come on.
An auto electrician has checked it and thinks that there might be a break in the cable to either the relay or fuse box causing a break in the circuit somewhere but do not know how competent his assessment is.

Also Curtis in Durban (I am also based in Durban) I was told by the Audi agents that the rear fogs are disconnected for A8's in SA but you say that your rear fogs work - puzzling!

I am now starting to wonder if there is a problem with the headlight stalk on the steering column but really do not know what to do next to resolve this problem.

Blew a new tyre by hitting a kerb one dimly lit night, which would not have happened if the front fogs were working so that was an "ouch" smack in the wallet!!!

Appreciate any help to sort this out.

sloss 28th October 2013 07:20 AM

Have you checked the actual bulbs?

With the lights switched on ie sidelights on and fog switch on have you checked for 12v at the bulb holder?

If nothing there than work backwards +++

Tony 28th October 2013 08:40 AM

Yes the bulbs were checked by autoelec. He rigged a power cable from the battery and fitted the cable to one of the fogs and they both came on so lights are fine. Thanks for your input though.

Curtis 28th October 2013 09:03 PM

my fog lights at the rear do work cant remember if its only the one side or both but they do work they sill turn on the front fogs at the same time. my guess that its either the wiring or the relay and i would try the relay first the are not expensive so its worth a try just to replace it i will have a look at the one i replaced on my car tomorrow and give you the location/name and the relay number.mine seemed to be working, gave me the light on the dash ,rear fog worked yet fronts didn't turn on.took a chance and replaced the relay and it worked.

Curtis 29th October 2013 11:36 AM

7 Attachment(s)
ok. i had a look its called the fog light switch off relay.its in the passenger foot well behind the carpet.you will need to remove the cardboard cover its the centre holder. in the picture attached its the relay below 267 the only black relay without a number. i also attached picture of the fog light on my car which works but only on the right the left is not fitted, i think its a euro specification that there is only one fog light as my understanding is all the A8's where built in Germany so its a import car to South Africa.
your car might be different as mine is PF and yours a FL but sure wiring is the same.

HPsauce 29th October 2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis (Post 63773)
there is only one fog light

Usually the wiring is there for both, just break out the blanking plate and fit a bulb/holder and connect it and you have 2 (like mine).

Only problem is that the reflector bowl around the bulb probably won't actually have any reflective material on it, so the additional one will appear dimmer. I "mostly" fixed mine with adhesive reflective material that I fed in through the socket in strips and pressed into place with my fingers.
Opening up the whole unit doesn't look practical and a replacement from a LHD country is probably rather expensive. :rolleyes:

Tony 7th November 2013 07:00 AM

FFFFFront fogs still not working!GRRR.

Have still not been able to get front fogs working and now wonder if autoelec has ID the wrong relay -which has been changed along with the dash switch- but lights still not working and no clicking from said relay. Now waiting for Bentley manual from the US, which is on the way to me right now.