A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Interior Trims (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Driver Footwell (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12673)

MatthewH 7th February 2017 08:17 PM

Driver Footwell

Hi,

I've been having some issues with my brake lights staying on. I recently replaced my brake light switch with the revised part as my old one was sticking. This improved things but didn't fully cure it.

I was replacing my interior bulbs with LED replacements this evening and noticed the black plastic trim in the pedal area (where the air vents exit) catches on the brake pedal slightly, preventing it from fully returning to rest position.

This black piece of plastic doesn't appear to attach to anything underneath to hold it up and out of the way of the pedals. Does anyone have a photo of this panel their car for comparison?

Thanks.

MatthewH 8th February 2017 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo of the area that catches on the pedal attached.

Architex_mA8tey 8th February 2017 11:25 AM

hmm looks like it may have already been replaced with a second hand part judging by the number scrawled across it in pinky red colour - maybe its not quite fitted properly?

MatthewH 8th February 2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 124137)
hmm looks like it may have already been replaced with a second hand part judging by the number scrawled across it in pinky red colour - maybe its not quite fitted properly?

Yes, that was me! :)

I replaced the panel under the steering wheel a couple of weeks back as the pocket was broken on my old one. The old one was also not secured to anything underneath, only the torx screws at the top and underneath the fuse cover at the side.

I'm thinking this panel should secure to something else at the bottom (which was also missing on the original part - this panel had definitely been messed with at some point in the past by the previous owner).

Thanks

M-A8 9th February 2017 11:04 AM

On the right hand side it sits on the pillar trim and it goes behind the bonnet lever and left hand side torx screw as you said. I've done this panel many many times and never had an issue with it and its very secure.
Hard to tell.
Try refitting it and if you fail just dremel out a bit of plastic which you shouldn't be doing so keep trying and it will fit.

MatthewH 9th February 2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M-A8 (Post 124216)
On the right hand side it sits on the pillar trim and it goes behind the bonnet lever and left hand side torx screw as you said. I've done this panel many many times and never had an issue with it and its very secure.
Hard to tell.
Try refitting it and if you fail just dremel out a bit of plastic which you shouldn't be doing so keep trying and it will fit.

Is the black part above the pedals secure on yours? The panel under the steering wheel with the pocket all feels very secure, it's only the plastic part below that feels loose. I can push the flexible black part up ~5cm by hand easily, but then falls back down and rests on the brake pedal. I'm wondering if the black part should slot into something when fitted. I'll take it apart again and see if I'm missing anything.

Photo showing the "black part" here for reference:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132084235405

Thanks

HPsauce 9th February 2017 01:31 PM

I don't know about the D3, but on the D2 (where I happen to be delving into that exact area today) there are all sorts of little slots and brackets for loose ends to slide into as you fit trim panels. Easy to miss them too and get similar results to yours.

M-A8 9th February 2017 06:09 PM

The only support from the bottom is the mentioned torx and pillar panel on the right.
I'll go and take some photos. 5cm its normal from what I remember. It doesn's slot it anywhere at the back.

HPsauce 10th February 2017 02:21 PM

As it happens I've just taken the equivalent piece out of my D2 a few minutes ago and it also is unsupported at the "back" by the pedal levers and can actually be moved and down several cm with minimal pressure.

Apart from the ducting connections that do locate it pretty precisely it has just one fixing bolt.

MatthewH 11th February 2017 07:47 PM

Thanks, I have just taken the panel off again. The bottom torx screw was missing and was not fitted to the original panel either.

I tried to swap one of the top screws onto the bottom but I've been finding it quite hard to align. All of the top screws line up easily.

One thing I noticed was that the electrical connector for the light lens is pointing right (when looking at it from the driver seat). This seems to be the part that catches on the brake pedal. This can be seen on my photo on post #2.

Does anyone know if this is the correct position? I can try flipping it 180 degrees tomorrow but there didn't seem to be much slack in the cable.

Thanks.