A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Other Audis (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Third generation A3 (8V) e-tron (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11019)

HPsauce 6th January 2016 11:33 AM

Third generation A3 (8V) e-tron

Has anyone looked at these at all?

Further deliberations on replacing our #2 car (antique Focus) suggests the A3 e-tron "might" be a contender.
Any thoughts or information welcome.

IT 6th January 2016 12:08 PM

I looked fairly closely at these, but ended up studying in more depth the virtually identical, cheaper (and better looking) Golf GTE.

I was looking from a company car purchase perspective, where there are various initiatives to make it seem a good idea.

As a personal purchase, I would concern that the technology should move on fairly quickly in this area, which could lead to very questionable residuals.

I was also put off by the (fairly standard across manufacturers admittedly) warranty on the batteries that shows no interest until the batteries are down to at least 70% effective.

I've been in both the E tron Hybrid and an E-Golf (pure battery). The battery modes are eerily quiet, but don't worry, because the battery will last only a very short while, so then you can switch to fossil fuel and pay extra mpg to lug around the batteries and motors all day long whilst enjoying the compromised handling due to extra weight...... :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, how ever I sliced it - A golf R was working out cheaper to buy than a Golf E, and there was no getting past that......

Watch the government grant also - only applied if you're the first keeper, so ex demos are instantly worth 5 grand less.

The tech is cool. If a Tesla cost half as much, I'd likely have one. But the VW group (or anyone else for that matter) just doesn't seem to have anything decent to offer.

Let us know you're own conclusions though..... +++

Johnmed 7th January 2016 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 104530)
I looked fairly closely at these, but ended up studying in more depth the virtually identical, cheaper (and better looking) Golf GTE.

I was looking from a company car purchase perspective, where there are various initiatives to make it seem a good idea.

As a personal purchase, I would concern that the technology should move on fairly quickly in this area, which could lead to very questionable residuals.

I was also put off by the (fairly standard across manufacturers admittedly) warranty on the batteries that shows no interest until the batteries are down to at least 70% effective.

I've been in both the E tron Hybrid and an E-Golf (pure battery). The battery modes are eerily quiet, but don't worry, because the battery will last only a very short while, so then you can switch to fossil fuel and pay extra mpg to lug around the batteries and motors all day long whilst enjoying the compromised handling due to extra weight...... :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, how ever I sliced it - A golf R was working out cheaper to buy than a Golf E, and there was no getting past that......

Watch the government grant also - only applied if you're the first keeper, so ex demos are instantly worth 5 grand less.

The tech is cool. If a Tesla cost half as much, I'd likely have one. But the VW group (or anyone else for that matter) just doesn't seem to have anything decent to offer.

Let us know you're own conclusions though..... +++

^Have to agree with what seems to be a very balanced and well informed response.

I want a Tesla. I do see it as a step forward in technology. While we ICE car owners have little individual power stations under our bonnets, the electric vehicle draws its power from a power station, ideally a super efficient one.

The Tesla Model S, the power, the speed they (super)charge and the range they can achieve is staggering. But, I don't want it so much to spend the going rate for one. But then I could say the same about the D3. When new 7/8 years mine was ~£52k standard and I liked it then but wouldn't have spent that on one.

My problem with the other electric cars available from VAG, Nissan and BMW is the compromises. While the Leaf seems to have a decent range at least, it still entails driving around in a Leaf. Yuck. The VAG Hybrid things have issues, listed above and the i3 from BMW will likely only do 70 miles, realistically, on a full charge. Currently I'd frequently be getting home on a prayer, gritting my teeth and paying a premium for the privilege.

Until there's a sort of Tesla style electric car, that's more affordable I'm just going to stick with DERV. Which I think is a shame.

For me the only electric car there is, is a Tesla Model S. The rest just seem to have made one compromise too many.

HPsauce 7th January 2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnmed (Post 104564)
the i3 from BMW will likely only do 70 miles

Guy I know got one of those reckoning the range was more than adequate to commute into London (West End) and back.
But it wasn't, and all the charging points are monopolised by delivery vans and couriers so he couldn't top up during the day. :-(

Persuaded BMW to take it back and replace it with the version that has a small "top-up" petrol engine as well, just adds a few more miles range in an emergency.

IT 7th January 2016 12:08 PM

I think pure electric drive makes so much sense - Its mechanically so much simpler and easier to deliver, and almost maintenance free, and as batteries get better, the car holds residuals as swap the batteries for new tech and all is well for a few more years.

But at present, it does need 'range extender' capabilities in the form of an onboard / removable fossil fuel generator to eliminate the range anxiety that many folk suffer from.

Most cars are full electric, or full hybrid. I'm not sure why the manufacturers are't embracing the range extender half way house with a bit more gusto...

HPsauce 7th January 2016 12:14 PM

The "range extender" ought to be a very cheap and light add-on, after all it doesn't need much more technology than goes into a portable petrol leaf-blower backpack and they are cheap enough.

IT 7th January 2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 104577)
The "range extender" ought to be a very cheap and light add-on, after all it doesn't need much more technology than goes into a portable petrol leaf-blower backpack and they are cheap enough.

My thoughts exactly.....

paulrstaylor 7th January 2016 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 104578)
My thoughts exactly.....

I think they already exist........

See Here +++

mannyo 7th January 2016 03:44 PM

One chap on the forum which I am super moderator has just got a Tesla Model S, he has driven it from Essex to Devon and back and more. Read his thread linked below (From Page 28)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...thread/page-28

He also has Some Nissan Leafs which his business owns.

tintin 8th January 2016 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mannyo (Post 104587)
One chap on the forum which I am super moderator has just got a Tesla Model S, he has driven it from Essex to Devon and back and more. Read his thread linked below (From Page 28)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...thread/page-28

He also has Some Nissan Leafs which his business owns.

Good thread - fairly well informed, and fact-based.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 104530)

There's always this in that price range:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/6/107...drive-ces-2016

Oh wait, it's a Chevy… :-(