A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Wheels and Tyres (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Cracking tyres. Literally. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14166)

Johnmed 21st May 2018 04:23 PM

Cracking tyres. Literally.

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone ever had this? First time for me. Date code is 2516, had them on since last September. Goodyear Eagles. Having them replaced under warranty (Mytyres) as I type.

Not seen rubber crack like that since my old BMX.

tintin 21st May 2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnmed (Post 141758)
Anyone ever had this? First time for me. Date code is 2516, had them on since last September. Goodyear Eagles. Having them replaced under warranty (Mytyres) as I type.

Not seen rubber crack like that since my old BMX.

Nope, but now I'll have to go and check mine :-( They're in my garage and not used atm, 'cos I think the lateral traction on them is v. poor, but i'll still need to check them now :o. They're also 2016, I think...

ainarssems 21st May 2018 05:40 PM

Yes, my F1 Eagles are like that and have been for a year or 2. 2 manufactured 2012, 2 in 2013. But it's only the tread cracked not the carcass so I have not been worried about that, I am more upset about the lack of grip.

tc4332 21st May 2018 06:19 PM

I did a four day tour in Snowdonia, across the river from George III last weekend, stayed in Barmouth. Took them to most of the preserved railways, really good for me. Just meant I had to drive a tri-axle through the lanes.
Before I left home I checked my tyres.
Fronts Continentals, 1 year old, looking good
Rears, Dunlops Super Sports, 4 years old, both close to the bone.
Collared my tyre man this morning and the prices have rocketed. Four years back the Dunlops cost me £160 each. Last year the Continentals cost my boss at the time £180 each.
Today,
Dunlop £205 each
Pirelli £210 each
Bridgestone £220 each
I'm going to try the Pirelli, put them on the front and move the Contis to the rear. I always believe that when not replacing all four; put the newer ones up front.
Tyre size is 275/35 ZR 20 (102Y) Extra Load

Joe2.0E 21st May 2018 07:21 PM

You may be better off buying them online, all of those brands are around £150 to £175 each delivered to your door.

tintin 21st May 2018 07:51 PM

Just checked - there's no signs of cracks in the one of four tyres that I can see, as the other three are wrapped in cellophane.

Johnmed 21st May 2018 08:24 PM

Wonder what is causing it? Have the same tyres on the rear (different supplier), no cracks.

briang9 21st May 2018 11:30 PM

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder...UucxaaFwndFw==

local fitter here charges £10 a tyre to fit+++

Dezzy 22nd May 2018 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 141763)
I did a four day tour in Snowdonia, across the river from George III last weekend, stayed in Barmouth. Took them to most of the preserved railways, really good for me. Just meant I had to drive a tri-axle through the lanes.
Before I left home I checked my tyres.
Fronts Continentals, 1 year old, looking good
Rears, Dunlops Super Sports, 4 years old, both close to the bone.
Collared my tyre man this morning and the prices have rocketed. Four years back the Dunlops cost me £160 each. Last year the Continentals cost my boss at the time £180 each.
Today,
Dunlop £205 each
Pirelli £210 each
Bridgestone £220 each
I'm going to try the Pirelli, put them on the front and move the Contis to the rear. I always believe that when not replacing all four; put the newer ones up front.
Tyre size is 275/35 ZR 20 (102Y) Extra Load

:Confused: the tri axle is on a 20in rim? I thought it would be 22.5 or it was when I was tyre fitting on all that big rubbish, coaches are the worst, they're rubbish :)

tc4332 22nd May 2018 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 141777)
:Confused: the tri axle is on a 20in rim? I thought it would be 22.5 or it was when I was tyre fitting on all that big rubbish, coaches are the worst, they're rubbish :)

Sorry Dezzy, the 20 inch are for the 8, the coach ones a little bit bigger!!!!

Thanks Brian & Joe.
My fault with everything going on here I did not think straight and just went with a bloke I've been using for years. Now I know better.