A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Everything else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   D2 S8 newbie talks about maybe installing a V10 engine?! (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16101)

Audifan 28th January 2021 09:56 PM

D2 S8 newbie talks about maybe installing a V10 engine?!

I came across this post and this guy bought a D2 S8 and thinking about installing a D3 S8 engine? And he also states the frame is made from aluminum. He definitely is a newbie as these cars don't have aluminum subframes.

From a old post of mine I learned that the are around the engine is smaller due to the superstructure is much bulkier as posted by MJ. So my question is will a V10 fit in the D2 as stated by the guy in the video from the link I provided above?

IT 29th January 2021 11:25 AM

D2 subframes are steel, yes.

But I have a feeling the D3 ones might be ally, which is maybe what he's referring to ?

As to whether it will physically fit. Not sure.

Even the W12 was only 4 cylinders deep, but was a tight squeeze. Getting 5 inline seems a tall order.

And when you've done all that, you still only have 450 ish bhp.

Easier to supercharge the 4.2 or drop in a heavily tuned 2.7 bi turbo surely.

MikkiJayne 29th January 2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audifan (Post 162563)
So my question is will a V10 fit in the D2 as stated by the guy in the video from the link I provided above?

Keeping the car intact and usable, not a chance. I've measured them side by side. The V10 would stick out through the D2 radiator!

If you put the radiator in the boot, Deboss style, give up the hvac, and cut the shell to make room to move the engine back then yes. That's assuming you use a manual gearbox because there's absolutely no way the 6HP gearbox is going in with it. At that point, just put an LS in it :p

steamship 29th January 2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audifan (Post 162563)
And he also states the frame is made from aluminum.

From watching the video I think what he means by 'frame' is the chassis itself, and not the subframes.

strummagnet 29th January 2021 02:32 PM

At 12:18 he mentions running to the store to put diesel oil in to clean the engine? Is this a 'thing' that is a working solution to gunky engines?

Stromaluski 29th January 2021 06:59 PM

Scotto may not have ever had a D2 before, but he's no stranger to VW/Audis. He's had a bunch of them.

steamship 29th January 2021 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strummagnet (Post 162584)
At 12:18 he mentions running to the store to put diesel oil in to clean the engine? Is this a 'thing' that is a working solution to gunky engines?

Have heard of people using a 50/50 mixture of engine oil and diesel fuel to do the flush. As to whether either option is wise or advisable, I'd leave that to the expert on here to comment on... calling MJ

MikkiJayne 29th January 2021 08:28 PM

Personally I wouldn't put diesel in the oil as it'll thin it out and risk damaging the bearings and cam journals. Plus any carbon deposits which are in the oil ways that get loosened by the diesel will end up in the cam tensioners and kill them.

Maybe that would work on a big block Chevy or a Detroit Diesel but I wouldn't try it in a highly strung multivalve alloy V8.

ATF would be a safer bet as at least is has some lubricating properties and reasonable viscosity along with significant detergent properties, so it wouldn't harm the bearings.

MikkiJayne 30th January 2021 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
V10 in a B5 A4...

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1612051567

Maybe with a custom front panel and some massaging of the firewall it might be possible in a D2. There's more room behind the engine in the B5 so it can all be moved back a bit, but the engine bay is shorter in the front compared to the D2.

When I measured a D2 and D3 side by side I thought it was a pretty conclusive 'no', but maybe I need to measure again :rolleyes:

S81 31st January 2021 09:22 AM

It look a fairly professional job from the pic , it must have taken a serious amount of hours and money ,