A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   House and Home DIY (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Back Garden building site (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11807)

tc4332 22nd June 2016 08:15 PM

Back Garden building site

12 Attachment(s)
Sorry Mark and Lynn, I somehow managed to upload our outing photo.
Why do some of the photos decide to be upside down? :Confused:

Finally after a couple of years we now have a pseudo river in the back garden. The garden still looks like a building site but management is a lot happier now that the huge piles of rocks have disappeared.
It has taken a long time because after Gwen's Mother passed I lost heart, it was originally meant for her.
I started by sinking an old bath in the garden to act as the sump. The "river" course is made up of seven 3x2 flags laid roughly end to end. Some of them have been cut so that they form an approximate "L" shape. They are sloped upwards to ensure the flow. I then cut more flags into 12" wide strips that form the sides. There are three pumps in the sump. The first is a small one that feeds the bird bath at top front of the mountain and we plan on running that all the time. Some of the wild birds have started to use this already. The other two pumps though small are special in that they both deliver a large throughput aqnd they both feed a hidden header tank on top of the mountain behind the bird bath. I have arranged it so that when these two pumps are switched off then the feeder hoses siphon the header tank empty. Means less chance of frost damage in the winter. These pumps are lifting the water some three metres and as can be seen are delivering a pretty decent amount of water.
I used a latex paint to water proof the channel.
I then dressed the front with various rocks using a strong cement mix. This has also been latex painted to lessen water ingress that could lead to frost damage. I have formed pockets in the dressing so that SWMBO (with the aid of the grandkids) can plant alpines.
I have placed a fogger in the lowest of the rock pools but I do have another eight foggers to place in other parts of the river.
Not fully finished but it was rather pleasant this evening sitting quietly with a nice cuppa listening to the babbling brook.

tonupkid 22nd June 2016 09:48 PM

That's a big project Ray. Careful with all the foggers or you'll be creating your own metrological events :ROFL:

Dezzy 23rd June 2016 07:31 AM

I like it, top marks +++ keeps us updated mate i'd like to see it all finished.

moltuae 23rd June 2016 07:46 AM

Nice work Ray +++

The orientation of the photos will be how you took them on your phone. Problem is, some software can read the rotation metadata embedded in the file, some can't. In Windows 7 (haven't tried this in 10), if you open them in Windows Photo Viewer (the native Windows photo view/print software) it will ignore any rotation data and display the photo whichever way up it was taken. If you use the rotation icons to correct the orentiation, the file will be modified accordingly.

tc4332 23rd June 2016 08:20 AM

Thanks Mark, I'll try that

tc4332 23rd June 2016 08:43 AM

12 Attachment(s)
Mark,
Tried that in Windows 10, but found that Windows Photo Viewer showed correct orientation.
I then tried Microsoft Office Picture Manager and found the pictures were all over the place :p:p
So I changed the naughty ones in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, saved them.
Then retried Windows Photo Viewer and again they were wrong. So changed them again.
Retried in Microsoft Office Picture Manager and they were now correct.

This means that having played a bit they are all correct in both programmes.
Now to try them on the forum.
Sorry to bore you all but here is attempt two after Mark's Marvelous Ministrations :cool:

Just hope it works.

It worked. Mark why does your name begin with "M"? Bloodie Murder trying to find superlatives beginning with "M"

HPsauce 23rd June 2016 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 114005)
Mark,
I then tried Microsoft Office Picture Manager and found the pictures were all over the place :p:p
Then retried Windows Photo Viewer and again they were wrong. So changed them again.

Similar here, I find MOPM handy for sorting out orientation issues, though the thumbnails often still appear incorrectly. :Confused:

moltuae 23rd June 2016 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 114005)
Mark,
Tried that in Windows 10, but found that Windows Photo Viewer showed correct orientation.

This means that having played a bit they are all correct in both programmes.
Now to try them on the forum.
Sorry to bore you all but here is attempt two after Mark's Marvelous Ministrations :cool:

Just hope it works.

It worked. Mark why does your name begin with "M"? Bloodie Murder trying to find superlatives beginning with "M"

Haha, yes that worked! +++

Now I can view them without the blood rushing to my head.

I was never very good at doing handstands.

moltuae 23rd June 2016 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 114006)
Similar here, I find MOPM handy for sorting out orientation issues, though the thumbnails often still appear incorrectly. :Confused:

I think what you need is he dumbest possible image software, something that allows you to rotate the images but ignores rotation metadata and strips it out when you save the files. Windows 7's Photo Viewer works well.

Failing that, you could try editing the metadata using something like this:
http://www.imgonline.com.ua/eng/exif-editor.php
(I haven't actually tried this one, but there are loads of similar online metadata editors).

Johnmed 23rd June 2016 09:39 AM

Nice work fella++++++

Keep it updated as you progress. Love stuff like this.