A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Removal of DS Door Mirror (Whole Unit) (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16220)

stripester 19th April 2021 04:55 AM

Removal of DS Door Mirror (Whole Unit)

1 Attachment(s)
I hope someone can help me!

My A8's drivers side door mirror foldung motor has failed I've ordered a new one and started looking at how to remove it, I have the AUDI manuals but cannot find how to remove the plastic trim which was here in the pic attached.

I am assuming I need to remove to access the bolt holding the mirror on, the manual(s) dont seem to mention this!

Any help would be appreciated, I must be missing something!

HPsauce 19th April 2021 08:47 AM

I don't know about the D3 but on the D2 IIRC (definitely) it just clips on. Though if so, it helps to know where to lever off first.....

stripester 19th April 2021 09:46 AM

Thanks HPsauce +++.

I kind of thought it popped off, but I tried levering it with a trim removal tool it seemed really, really tight/fixed in place :Confused:...

I am worried that if I use any more force I will break it...hoping someone else can definitely say "Lever it". I dont really want to be talking the door apart to find out this is the case!

steamship 19th April 2021 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The following photo from eBay should help.

Looking at it, it appears to be held in with three clips, the twin flat one next to the Audi logo and two circular clips further up. From the shape, I'd say you should prise out the bottom left corner (photo) and then with the removal tool, pop out the twin flat clip from below. Then work up the left edge with the removal tool until you reach the first circular clip and prise that off with the fork shaped removal tool either side of it and then work up to the top clip. It looks very thin at the very top, so would be cautious to avoid bending (or worse breaking) any part of it. The only other concern is how it fits in respect to the two pieces of black rubber trim shown in your photo, as that might makes things a bit more awkward. The D2 one that HPsauce refers to is a lot easier as it is inside the door frame with nothing else around it.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1618827740

stripester 19th April 2021 10:44 AM

Steamship, you are a star! :cheers:

That give me the confidence to have a more brutal...I mean persuasive approach to the cover, I'll take some pics and post progress as I do it....

+++

stripester 19th April 2021 10:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
All,

It's sometimes just having the right info! it's now off, thanks so much, waiting for my replacement mirror motor now and will hopefully be able a simple fit now..

Weird how the Audi Manuals don't seem to mention this cover...

Thank god I dont have to take the door apart...again!

stripester 19th April 2021 03:06 PM

10 Attachment(s)
If anyone is thinking of replacing the complete door mirror it seems pretty easy,
just disassemble as per the AUDI manuals (notig the plastic cover!).

You do not need to remove the inner door panel, you can thread all the cables through the hole in the borken mirror and then back through the new one and re-reconect them, see the pics below - I will write a "how to" when I get 10 mins.

As a side note the motor mirror looks to be of poor quality, like the ones in the doors locks, its open cicuit, took the whole thing apart just for kicks!

There is no feed back for the folding mirror, its just on or off, so I guess the computer sees no mirror in the car as its open circuit, so no higher load feedback either when its being used.

There is no way to repair the motor or grease it :mad:, the big spring is in under significant tension, repair is not an option!

homer simpson 19th April 2021 06:13 PM

I took apart a 'sloe folding' Mk1 SEAT Leon mirror to see what was slowing it down. Looks very similar internally and not serviceable so it was replaced