A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Fuel and Exhausts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   D3 V8 Exhaust question (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12792)

mannyo 10th March 2017 06:43 PM

D3 V8 Exhaust question

Took my D3 out today for a spin, first time its been used in a while, its done just over 3K miles in 9 months.

Upon return it was quiet apparent all is not well in the world with the exhaust, she is blowing somewhere. Whilst it sounds pretty good, I need to fix the problem.

I am kind of hoping its one of the joints that have gone rather than a problem with the system itself.

If I sit in the drivers seat with the door open and rev the engine, it sounds like its coming from the area around the B pillar possibly just behind that. I know the exhaust is in several sections, as I had the flexi joints replaced 3 years ago and I remember them separating sections. I just cannot remember where the rear section joints are and if they are sleeved joints like on the D2.

M-A8 10th March 2017 06:57 PM

Past the flexi joint there is no more joints, it's a straight run all the way to back boxes with a middle silencer in the middle, but you will only find welds there Manny.

mannyo 10th March 2017 07:24 PM

I just hope its not one of the custom flexi joints made for AudiVWSC in harrow that have failed.

I'll drive it to Hertfordshire next weekend and get my usual friendly garage to get it up on the ramps to take a look. Heres hoping its just something loose.

mannyo 11th March 2017 01:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've been crawling around the car today, armed with my phone and good old ears.

I think I've found the source, and it's not the replacement flexi joints. The exhaust is not a single piece from the flexi joints to the rear of the car.

After the flexi joints, I have another section of exhaust with a silencer for each bank of cylinders and then just before the box that connects both bank of cylinders together I have another joint. The picture below from A8parts shows that joint, and I believe it is blowing from one of those joints. I've also attached a photo taken under my car of the offending connection, but nothing is obvious. The sound is definitely coming from here rather than the front of the car.

M-A8 11th March 2017 02:51 PM

Sorry Manny
Completely forgot about that section.

mannyo 20th March 2017 06:42 AM

A quick update,

The hole is in the exhaust itself and not a join, I've had it patched so it is no longer blowing but the chap at the exhaust place cannot say how long it will hold.

If you look closely at the underside picture of the car, you can see where the hole (well more of a split) is now I know where it is. I don't know what has caused it, its like a small split rather than corrosion hole, maybe I run over something or something on the farm track has pierced the pipe.

M-A8 20th March 2017 08:41 AM

Now I can see it.
Nice and quick fix, it's what we like +++

mannyo 8th May 2017 07:28 PM

Well the temp fix has now failed, so the search is on for a company who can and are willing to weld over the tiny hole as a more permanent fix.

I've found a place down the road, but not called them yet.

Any other suggestions welcomed.