A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Audi UTC (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14936)

tc4332 1st May 2019 11:13 PM

Audi UTC

Has anybody any experience with this Universal Traffic Camera?
To my mind a rather expensive dash cam for the capabilities, but what do I know?
Possibly worthwhile if the looms are already connected and in place.

HPsauce 2nd May 2019 07:23 AM

UTR they call it here: https://www.jardinemotors.co.uk/audi...ffic-recorder/

Given the stated restrictions on A4/A6 models it's not clear which A8s it can be installed on.

paulrstaylor 2nd May 2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 150101)
Possibly worthwhile if the looms are already connected and in place.

I don't think there is a loom in place for this, when I looked at it (granted not this year) it looked like any dash cam, with an audi badge and of course the associated cost uplift :ROFL:

steamship 2nd May 2019 11:24 AM

If you're considering fitting a dashcam, I'd do some more research on what's already on the market before committing to buying the Audi unit. For the price of the Audi unit, I'd be comparing the likes of the Thinkware F800 and Blackvue DR900S as possible alternatives. There's bound to be other models out there as well, but these two are the ones that spring to mind.

The Audi UTR looks the part and sounds the part (from a marketing perspective), but the reviews I've read on it point to it being an expensive and nasty piece of kit. There seems to be absolutely no technical specifications available so you can compare with other brands, it's very susceptible to the types of microSD cards that it will work with, and quality control seems very poor. Some people can't get anything other than the supplied 8GB card to work with it, yet others have 64GB cards working. The 'car finder' app only seems to work via a Wi-Fi, so no idea how that will work with finding your car in a car park. One minute video segments with no way of changing it, so have fun finding that one clip that you need on a 64GB card. No button to save an 'event', to prevent it from being overwritten. App software that doesn't appear to have been tested thoroughly.

The above is a sample of what I've gleamed from other peoples experiences of the UTR, so has to be taken with a pinch of salt, as none of it takes into account the 'human' factor.

BTW Even after doing your research, you can still make the wrong decision, as I discovered when I bought a Nextbase 512GW. I only found out afterwards that it displays an ugly bright yellow Nextbase logo in the corner of the screen which can't be removed, yet their cheaper models place a simple 'Nextbase' text at the very bottom corner of the screen next to the GPS co-ordinates and speed data. Nextbase's explanation for this was so that they could identify video footage that was recorded on their devices. Imagine all your photos taken on your expensive Canon or Nikon camera having their logos emblazoned upon them.

Architex_mA8tey 2nd May 2019 12:53 PM

I bought this bundle from Halfords at Xmas discount (£125) to put into a D4 as I needed a small rear cam to sit in the gap between the rear blind when it goes up and the rear window.

https://www.halfords.com/technology/...ash-cam-bundle

The only issues I found were that the front cam has got a bracket which makes it hang down further than I would like in a perfect world, plus we had some inteference from the rear cam which affected the DAB radio and TV signal and had to look at shielding the cable that runs to the rear cam more where it approached the boot and rear window more. . .

steamship 2nd May 2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 150107)
... plus we had some inteference from the rear cam which affected the DAB radio and TV signal

This seems to be a common issue with quite a few dashcams.

tc4332 2nd May 2019 08:11 PM

I was helping someone out with a car that had the cabling fitted for the AUDI UTC and was wondering about the properties.
The info I am receiving is that it is an outdated bit of kit.

steamship 2nd May 2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 150127)
I was helping someone out with a car that had the cabling fitted for the AUDI UTC and was wondering about the properties.
The info I am receiving is that it is an outdated bit of kit.

It does seem odd that a product only released in 2017 should have so many issues with it, especially when the likes of Audi are prepared to re-badge it as an Audi product.

Your comment also reminded me of something else I read about it, and that was when someone tried to find out who the actual manufacturer of the camera was, and they were less than forthcoming.

I'm wondering if the accountants had a hand in this when it came to choosing the product to re-badge.