A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Fuel and Exhausts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Argh! Give me strength with this damn car!!!! MASSES of black smoke, loss of power (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8749)

A8L Chick 11th September 2014 05:23 PM

Argh! Give me strength with this damn car!!!! MASSES of black smoke, loss of power

To say I'm pretty fed up with spending money on this car would be an understatement, a HUGE understatement!

Has anyone any info on an EGR blank and remap? I've had the DPF removal/map but still have this damn egr.

My inlet manifolds are lined with skanky cruddy exhaust gunk, the car is hesitant at best when accelerating and sometimes I lose the turbo (though not in limp mode as she'll rev past 3k, black clouds of smoke are SO thick it's like someone turned the lights out for the poor cars behind.

I've replaced the egr valve before for a different reason, yet to plug the car in but will do next week.

AFM has never been changed, that's an expensive gamble.

Recently serviced with a new air filter also (I know it was fitted because I put it in lol)

Please fire ideas at me. It's bleeding me dry to the point it's gonna make me bankrupt. I can't deal with much more :(

Thanks in advance guys. :)

A8L Chick 11th September 2014 05:25 PM

Oh, just to add, when I'm driving along and the turbo suddenly just decides to go to sleep, I get no warning lights, nothing is different except the engine struggles to move the car.
I pull over, turn the car off and back on again and it can be fine for the rest if the journey. :Confused:

snapdragon 11th September 2014 05:39 PM

Well, the gunk is usually oil mist from the turbo that has combined with smoke/soot from the EGR.

If your EGR is disabled, it shouldn't really continue to build up, but the symptoms shound like EGR stuck open.

When the engine requests EGR, it looks for a coresponding drop in air metered by the airflow meter (that's how it meters the EGR). So if the EGR is stuck open, it doesn't see any drop and keeps increasing the duty cycle until the exhaust smoke is just black smoke.

I remember you changed your engine for a later one, so not sure if you have the vacuum operated EGR of A8 engines or the the later electronic one still used on current models. Assuming vacuum - if you pull off the EGR vacuum pipe with the engine running, can you hear it snap shut?

M-A8 11th September 2014 08:11 PM

Hi Becky
Long time no see.
I can't really offer much more advice than what just snapdragon said, so I'm just replying to say Hi
I hope you will get this sorted.

How did it go with the front end repair, all in order now after the accident??

A8L Chick 15th September 2014 07:59 AM

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in replying.

The EGR is the original 2007 system (though has been replaced with a new unit since)
Think I'll go with replacing the valve again. :Confused:for now and see how that goes. :(

Hi Marcin, yep S8 front end all sweet now thank you. How is your xenon conversion going?

A8 Doc 17th September 2014 06:38 AM

Blank and have a word with the chaps who did the DPF/remap. It's minor to disable the EGR after that and all OBD.

A8L Chick 18th September 2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A8 Doc (Post 81176)
Blank and have a word with the chaps who did the DPF/remap. It's minor to disable the EGR after that and all OBD.

Unfortunately, the chaps that did the DPF removal were a bunch of idiots, nowhere to be seen.

I have a sneaky suspicion the turbo us on its way out. :( the actuator is showing a fault :(

PsYcHe 18th September 2014 12:53 PM

My mundano did similar many years ago.. split intercooler was the culprit.