A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Car Sale Dilema...... (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14249)

IT 12th June 2018 08:43 PM

Car Sale Dilema......

This wasn't a problem at all.

It was really simple. Clean up my D2 a little, take it for a little outing to the Annual meet, then sell it.

Easy. Peasy.

But it has revived a little bit of something. I know I'm the one that always says nothing drives like a D2, but I had forgotten that somehow. 2 days of driving it round and it was really a lot of fun. Like loads. That V8. The petrol, the instant whoosh. And the presence. They just look gorgeous don't they ??.

I couldn't drive it every day though, or waste it taking it to London and the like, but i'm not as ready to part with it as I thought I would be... For a 17 year old car i'm strangely re-smitten. I drove it on a known route last week late at night and ah hem my god it shifts. Last time I did that was 11 years ago in my '30th birthday' D2. I grinned then too. Nothing that big should feel so agile. ;)

Yes, the RS6 and the like really shift too, but you sort of expect that, so its not quite as magical somehow ?

Anyway, I have 2 8's, and 1 absolutely has to go....... :rolleyes:

So, do I sell the uber frugal (relatively lol) D3, uber comfy, dripping in spec, massaged and vented, radar cruise, B&O, full summer and winter kit cruiser which is also a seriously awesome motorway stormer, or let the D2 go ???....

HPsauce 12th June 2018 08:56 PM

Why do you have either of them?
(And why are you even asking us!)

IT 12th June 2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 142706)
Why do you have either of them?
(And why are you even asking us!)

Because, they were both pretty special in their own right.....

..... and because its ask you lot, or toss a coin right now :-)

Thought this was more fun.... !!

HPsauce 12th June 2018 09:07 PM

Get rid of the soot-chucker. It's got a lot of options and is probably very nice if you do lots of motorway miles, but a D2 is...well, a D2! +++
It won't be long before every decent car has (or could have) all the D3 options, whereas...….

MikkiJayne 12th June 2018 09:22 PM

The problem with that D2 is that because its so special (and has the bizarre comfort seats) there's probably a very limited number of people who would really appreciate it so if you sold it, it would likely disappear and end up trashed or dead. So, you have to keep it forever now :p

HPsauce 12th June 2018 09:29 PM

MJ, what could you do to that car if you got your hands on it, to "improve" it with a few standard upgrades that wouldn't detract from the special options?

MikkiJayne 12th June 2018 09:58 PM

If I didn't know what it was, I'd re-dye the blue leather on the dash to black, and I'd get a set of cream sports seats and re-dye them brown to replace the comfort seats. While that would then be a very nice & unique interior, it would destroy its heritage as the quattro gmbh demonstrator.

Since I do know what it is, even I would be disinclined to mess with it tbh.

That said, I do want dibs on the dash and door cards if it ends it's life at A8parts since a replica of my black and red but with black leather dash would be double lush with extra sprinkles :D

HPsauce 12th June 2018 10:07 PM

I was thinking of other updates that wouldn't conflict with the unique options.

tonupkid 12th June 2018 10:32 PM

Sell the D3. D3's are easy to find whereas D2's are increasingly rare. And more important, the D2 is a better drive

tintin 12th June 2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 142709)
The problem with that D2 is that because its so special (and has the bizarre comfort seats) there's probably a very limited number of people who would really appreciate it so if you sold it, it would likely disappear and end up trashed or dead. So, you have to keep it forever now :p

+1. No brainer.