A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   S8 Ceramic discs judder (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15135)

Durham 27th July 2019 08:20 PM

S8 Ceramic discs judder

Hi, I am relatively new to using the forum although I have had my D3 S8 with ceramics, for almost 2 years now.
Te car has an intermittent brake judder at approx 80mph. the ceramic discs have been removed, checked and replaced to no effect. Judder worse when brakes warm, Non existent when wet and the judder can be avoided by braking really hard. So I wonder if it could be a suspension problem?
Does anybody have any ideas on the? Or suggestions on who would be best to take the car too?
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Thanks

homer simpson 28th July 2019 11:27 AM

Pads and tyres ok? Btw you have posted in the D4 section :)

kele 28th July 2019 11:36 AM

If the pad has been inserted incorrectly or the backing clip on the pad is bent or damaged, then you can get these symptoms. And the inner pad may wear more quickly that the outer pad but if the discs have been checked then presumably they checked all that..

I had the same symptoms that you describe on my A6 which turned out to be a damaged pad backing clip.

ainarssems 28th July 2019 04:19 PM

Worn suspension bushes can produce the same symptoms as well, especially on the lower curved arm.

Durham 28th July 2019 06:31 PM

Thanks guys. Will now post in right section! Don't know how that happened
:)

Durham 28th July 2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 151908)
Pads and tyres ok? Btw you have posted in the D4 section :)

Yes. I think good enough. Judder was there when tyres were new. Pads will need replacing quite soon but evenly worn.. Do you recommend any particular pad for replacement? Also, I understand my discs are ok (9ok miles) but is there a way to check how long they have left?

Durham 28th July 2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 151913)
Worn suspension bushes can produce the same symptoms as well, especially on the lower curved arm.

Thanks. Do worn suspension bushes not show up at an MOT test? If not how best to check them?

kele 28th July 2019 09:16 PM

I read that the discs are good for 180k miles as long as they don't get damaged. Depends on use of course. And I think you have to weigh them to establish if they need to be replaced.

kele 28th July 2019 09:28 PM

You can get these discs refurbished by the way

As standard, every new refurbished disc will get new nuts and bolts.

the process is something like this

- Discs are weighed and depending on wear and wear pattern and rotors are x-rayed and examined for structural damage.
- Brake pad residue or contaminates is chemically steamed off
- Discs are machined until they are level
- Napped are vacuum soaked in polymeric carbon
- Pyrolyze the discs at 1100°C
- The last two steps are repeated three times
- Discs are siliconized at 1500°C
- Top layer (ca. 1mm thick) is now restored, and trough the pyrolysis it is chemically and physically bonded with the structure
- Final sanding of top layer
- Disc is reassembled and weighed once more and precision-balanced
- The disc now has gained about 30-50g and is at desired value once more

homer simpson 29th July 2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham (Post 151920)
Yes. I think good enough. Judder was there when tyres were new. Pads will need replacing quite soon but evenly worn.. Do you recommend any particular pad for replacement? Also, I understand my discs are ok (9ok miles) but is there a way to check how long they have left?

I haven't had to replace mine yet but I would get them from Audi. Don't really know of any suitable replacements but haven't looked hard enough yet. As said, the proper way is to weigh them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kele (Post 151925)
You can get these discs refurbished by the way

As standard, every new refurbished disc will get new nuts and bolts.

the process is something like this

- Discs are weighed and depending on wear and wear pattern and rotors are x-rayed and examined for structural damage.
- Brake pad residue or contaminates is chemically steamed off
- Discs are machined until they are level
- Napped are vacuum soaked in polymeric carbon
- Pyrolyze the discs at 1100°C
- The last two steps are repeated three times
- Discs are siliconized at 1500°C
- Top layer (ca. 1mm thick) is now restored, and trough the pyrolysis it is chemically and physically bonded with the structure
- Final sanding of top layer
- Disc is reassembled and weighed once more and precision-balanced
- The disc now has gained about 30-50g and is at desired value once more

Do you know of any UK company that does this?