A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Driver Side Heated Mirror not working (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13609)

neeldub 15th November 2017 10:54 PM

Driver Side Heated Mirror not working

Hey guys need your input on this please.

So for over a year now, my driver side heated wing mirror hasn't been working. VCDS reveals the following error message:

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver Labels: 4E1-910-802-42.lbl
Part No SW: 4E1 910 802 B HW: 4E2 959 802 F
Component: Türsteuer.FS BRM005 0180
Coding: 0028462
Shop #: WSC 02313 785 00200
VCID: 20486A13F3B91341C9-8074

1 Fault Found:
00920 - Heated Outside Mirrors; Driver Side (Z4) / Passenger Side (Z5)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101100
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 0
Reset counter: 233
Mileage: 138176 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2017.06.28
Time: 23:35:28

I have run several diagnostics and it has costed me quite a bit.

I was able to source a replacement mirror on ebay same as the original but that didn't fix the issue.

Next I checked the wiring between the mirror and the door control module ecu, and that seems fine as there is continuity running thru the wires after checking with a multimeter.

And lastly, I replaced the door control module with a replacement but unfortunately that still didn't fix the issue.

Can anyone shed some light on this please.

The Passenger side heated mirror works fine.

H-M3 16th November 2017 07:35 PM

Not no Sparky myself but have tried just plugging the left side glass on the right just to see if any difference?

neeldub 16th November 2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-M3 (Post 134969)
Not no Sparky myself but have tried just plugging the left side glass on the right just to see if any difference?

I've already replaced the glass with a 2nd hand one i got from ebay, plus i checked the resistance and continuity of the heating element with a multimeter as well which shows that the circuit is closed and should working fine.

According to the wiring diagram, It's the door control module that controls the heated function so i can't think of any other wiring between the ECU and the mirror to be at fault.

Architex_mA8tey 17th November 2017 01:43 PM

If you end up with a spare heated drivers side mirror glass that is surplus I'd be interested as I've got one on the way out on my D3 daily - although mine is a round fog lamp D3 single grille model so not sure that the mirror glass is the same??

neeldub 18th November 2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 134998)
If you end up with a spare heated drivers side mirror glass that is surplus I'd be interested as I've got one on the way out on my D3 daily - although mine is a round fog lamp D3 single grille model so not sure that the mirror glass is the same??

Unforunately my mirror won't fot your car.. I have the 2009 facelifted model with the indicators in the wing mirror..

sorry :(

tc4332 13th February 2018 07:45 PM

Did you manage to solve this one?

neeldub 21st February 2018 11:15 PM

Nope unfortunately i'm still stuck with it :(

tc4332 22nd February 2018 06:52 AM

I have replaced the glass with a new one because the auto dim was discoloured and I assumed the heater element had failed. I've since checked the element in the old glass and found that it is OK.
I will have to check the cables for continuity but to do that I'll have to drop the door card. Not done that yet so will have to read up how to do it.
I do have a spare mirror mount complete with cables so if I have a cable problem I should be OK.
After that it could only be the controller.

neeldub 22nd February 2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 138124)
I have replaced the glass with a new one because the auto dim was discoloured and I assumed the heater element had failed. I've since checked the element in the old glass and found that it is OK.
I will have to check the cables for continuity but to do that I'll have to drop the door card. Not done that yet so will have to read up how to do it.
I do have a spare mirror mount complete with cables so if I have a cable problem I should be OK.

I have checked the continuity on my glass and found that it is ok as well. I have already tried replacing the door electronics module and that didn't solve the problem.

The only issue i can think of now is a wiring problem in the wing mirror harness as my Side Assist light on that side is also having an issue.. Might be a grounding problem. I will next try to remove the Side Assist light and check if that's the culprit itself.

neeldub 22nd February 2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 138124)

Is your mirror mount a facelift one and what's it's part number please.. thanks