A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   dipped headlights adjuster (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15331)

oldnick 22nd November 2019 08:12 PM

dipped headlights adjuster

just failed MOT !
have never used the adjuster on the dashboard , apparently this has to work [ have never used myself
only one side works ...what and where is the actuater for this ...is this a commone fault ?

steamship 22nd November 2019 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure what sort your headlights are, but here's an illustration showing the control motor (#12).

oldnick 22nd November 2019 11:02 PM

standard old fashioned bulbs so that is probably correct ...will have a look in the morning; probably fairly easily to get out
thanks

oldnick 23rd November 2019 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well, I got out and got under and the problem is the circular dipped beam light which has a peculiar connector at the back , just a wire bracket or similar

any idea what exactly this is ?

HPsauce 23rd November 2019 05:39 PM

That just looks like the wiring to the bulb, the height adjustment will be elsewhere on the body of the reflector mounting.
Is it an H1 bulb, or similar? They just have a single blade connector, the return circuit being via the body/base which in your case goes to the yellow cable.

steamship 23rd November 2019 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldnick (Post 153851)
well, I got out and got under and the problem is the circular dipped beam light which has a peculiar connector at the back , just a wire bracket or similar

any idea what exactly this is ?

Just went out and checked mine, and it's the same. The following photo of mine shows the actuator in situ (highlighted in red). It is located inside the headlight unit in the corner closest to the radiator, behind the other back cover.

oldnick 24th November 2019 02:26 PM

ok, so it is actually a ram.
question is , presuming I can get the correct part , how do I get to in to fit it ?
looks like the back doesn't come off and if I can just remove the headlight how would that help?

HPsauce 24th November 2019 03:09 PM

Is it one of these? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audi-Headli.../dp/B00NGZTNQI as sold by our sponsors!
(I'm sure they can advise on how to swap them over)

I've never looked at a D2 for this, having had Xenons on both my S8s, but other cars I've had used very (extremely) similar units and they were quite easy to replace. Given the small number of companies actually making headlight units this isn't really surprising, it's probably a Hella, Bosch (or similar) standard part.

oldnick 24th November 2019 04:11 PM

thanks for that.....not actually that model but is actually one used on VW I find

a little research indicates that the reflector is detachable ....question is how to get the front glass off to do that , should be ok after that !
somebody must know how to remove the glass [ I hope !]

steamship 24th November 2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldnick (Post 153867)
ok, so it is actually a ram.
question is , presuming I can get the correct part , how do I get to in to fit it ?
looks like the back doesn't come off and if I can just remove the headlight how would that help?

I've just had a look at the spare headlight unit that I have, and can confirm that it is attached by a single screw (from inside the unit). If you look at the illustration I had in a previous post, you'll see part #13, which is the retaining screw.

As Andrew said, our sponsors may be the best guide to how they removed them (assuming the unit wasn't damaged at the front). It may be possible to use a screwdriver bit on a ring spanner to undo the screw, but it could be very fiddly.

You will need to ensure you get the correct actuator for your headlight though. If you just have Halogen headlights, then the part number is 1J0941295A, but if you have the Xenon headlights, then the part number is 4B0941293A