A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Timing belt - how easy to screw up? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16375)

Goran 6th August 2021 04:53 PM

Timing belt - how easy to screw up?

I think my timing belt is due/overdue. It was last changed in 2014.
The car has only done 70K km since then.

How easy is it to screw up? :)
I have all the locking tools so I'm tempted to try doing it myself.
Last time MRC Tuning changed it, I would like to go to them again but maybe its a bit risky? Its a long drive.

Adrian E 6th August 2021 05:36 PM

With the right tools I don't believe it's all that difficult - it's dealing with removal of all the bits to get to it that always puts me off (and the fear of getting it wrong!)

Are you still London-based Goran? If so try David at Camspec/DS Autowerks (merged businesses, with David aka DS taking over Camspec) in Crawley - walking/lift distance from Gatwick Airport train station to get a ride back into the Smoke.

From memory a lot of the cost is parts and the labour isn't particularly horrific.

For peace of mind I think I'd prefer someone that offers a warranty and will look at other areas while it's in bits to make sure it's all good before bolting back together to do it. MRC wouldn't be my first choice for service work - too many reports of work being paid for but not done for my liking (not personal experience, but people I know well enough that I'd think twice)

Goran 6th August 2021 06:03 PM

Hi Adrian, how are you?
I am still in London. Thanks for recommending Camspec.
I seem to remember the tricky bit was the belt tensioner (some spacing needs to be right?) and eccentric pulley. I always found it worrying how the cam sprockets can just rotate freely when tensioning the belt, then get pressed onto those sloping bits by the bolts. Strange design.
I haven't been to MRC for a long time. They did a huge amount work on my car they were excellent and very knowledgeable and spotted things which were about to go wrong that other people missed. I was most impressed by the gearbox work they did for me, fitting stronger shift collars and a 0.56 6th gear. And chain guide pad replacement, without removing the cams, which turned out very reasonable.

MikkiJayne 6th August 2021 06:10 PM

Pretty easy with the locking bar and a torque wrench. The INA kit should be £250-300, and I always change the thermostat (£30 ish) as a matter of course. I tend to do the water pump on mileage as that is just a bearing and seal so doesn't age like the belt does. 70K km I wouldn't bother, if it was replaced last time.

Its worth considering doing all the aux belt rollers and fan pulley bearing at the same time as they can cause a lot of noise from the front of the engine and you'll be in there anyway, although the fan pulley does need a press. I can send you an assembled bearing in return for yours when you're done though. The two trickiest jobs are getting the viscous fan loose, and getting the crank locking pin in and out.

Goran 6th August 2021 06:19 PM

Hi Mikki,

Thanks very much! I was waiting for your input. In that case I may as well have a go myself. I was really worried about getting the tensioner right, but if that's not too tricky then I hope its going to be ok. I'll just go very slowly and read the guide carefully.
Water pump was replaced last time, good to know I can leave the old one. I'll make sure I get new pulleys and eccentric idler.

I'm thinking as I'll be in there anyway, I want to go ahead and do the RS6 idler instead of the fan pulley. I already have the electric fan which you recommended.
Is one of your D2's still running with the electric fan?

Conan_the_Librarian 6th August 2021 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goran (Post 166190)
Hi Mikki,

Thanks very much! I was waiting for your input.
Is one of your D2's still running with the electric fan?

Mine is! +++

Goran 6th August 2021 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian (Post 166191)
Mine is! +++

Hi Mike, I hope you are well.
That's great! +++
I'm gonna go electric too.

MikkiJayne 6th August 2021 07:37 PM

Yes my grey one is +++ I have laser-cut mounting plates if you need one.

The tensioner for the timing belt is pretty simple. There's an eccentric pulley which sets the basic tension, and then the hydraulic damper keeps it tight. You can set it all as per the procedure and check the lever on the damper with a 5mm allen key. If its not right, lock it all up again and re-do it.

The INA kit is here: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ina/2384981

The roller on the aux belt tensioner can be replaced with one from a Hyundai Tucson 2.7 - I'm sure I've shown that before in a WITW thread, so you don't have to replace the entire unit.

Goran 6th August 2021 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 166193)
Yes my grey one is +++ I have laser-cut mounting plates if you need one.

The tensioner for the timing belt is pretty simple. There's an eccentric pulley which sets the basic tension, and then the hydraulic damper keeps it tight. You can set it all as per the procedure and check the lever on the damper with a 5mm allen key. If its not right, lock it all up again and re-do it.

The INA kit is here: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ina/2384981

The roller on the aux belt tensioner can be replaced with one from a Hyundai Tucson 2.7 - I'm sure I've shown that before in a WITW thread, so you don't have to replace the entire unit.

Thanks very much Mikki! ++++++
Yes please, can I have a laser-cut mounting plate. I'll pm you just realised I need another couple of bits.

Conan_the_Librarian 7th August 2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goran (Post 166192)
Hi Mike, I hope you are well.
That's great! +++
I'm gonna go electric too.

Hi Goran,

All good here. About to set off for AITP tomorrow. :)