A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Transmission (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Aaargh - PRNDS! (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12221)

David's8 17th October 2016 08:26 AM

Aaargh - PRNDS!

After many posts re-iterating John at Mackies of Glasgow statements about how the 5HP24 box is a perfectly OK bit of kit, i arrived back home last night from Audi Driver International having driven some 1000miles in 3 days without having skipped a beat. However, went to reverse out this morning to go for a swim and it went into PRNDS :-( . If I stop and restart it works perfectly OK in Drive and Sport (but not tipronic) UNTIL I select reverse when it goes into limp mode. I am about to get VCDS on it after a pint of coffee but I am hoping its just the F125 switch (please!). The box was serviced Aug 2014 at 97k and its now at 109k.
Any suggestions/recommendations?

The_Laird 17th October 2016 08:38 AM

Mine started to do that a few months ago, most mornings when I reversed out of the garage. I was about to do a scan with the VCDS when it just went away! Hasn't played up for months now.

Adrian E 17th October 2016 08:59 AM

If it's otherwise working fine it should just be the switch - it's not that bad a job to swap but the box ideally needs lowering.

There's 2 types depending on wiring so if it is that either order from tps or leave to the garage fitting it, to avoid getting the wrong one

David's8 17th October 2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian E (Post 118576)
If it's otherwise working fine it should just be the switch - it's not that bad a job to swap but the box ideally needs lowering.

There's 2 types depending on wiring so if it is that either order from tps or leave to the garage fitting it, to avoid getting the wrong one

I hope it is just theswitch. Will get out there when it stops raining! thanks for the warning about the types. Having just cocked up with lower control arms I'll do some research!

moltuae 17th October 2016 09:34 AM

My guess would be the F125 switch plug contacts. My car has done that a few times in the past, especially as the colder weather approached. Disconnecting the plug and cleaning the contacts usually fixes it for another year or two.

tintin 17th October 2016 11:08 AM

In my experience it can throw this message once in a blue moon, and then not appear again...hopefully yours will do the same.

Sometimes I think these cars really do have a personality though - maybe yours was reacting to the unexpectedly long drive to Englandshire and back....;)

David's8 17th October 2016 11:08 AM

VCDS scan shows:

1 Fault found:
17090 - Transmission Range Sensor (F125)
P0706 - 35 - 00- Implausible Signal

So it seems like it is the F125 switch. And, as the lower control arms need renewing and the switch is in that area, they might as well be done at the same time. The Audiforum guide on the process shows it is a DIY fix but I am not sure that some of the fiddly work involved is best (safely) achieved on jacks/wheel ramps.

HPsauce 17th October 2016 11:48 AM

Same as me and I plan to get the F125 switch replaced sometime.
Adrian_E had it done a while ago and I think he got a garage to do it as the gearbox needs dropping a bit to get access.

David's8 17th October 2016 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 118588)
In my experience it can throw this message once in a blue moon, and then not appear again...hopefully yours will do the same.

Sometimes I think these cars really do have a personality though - maybe yours was reacting to the unexpectedly long drive to Englandshire and back....;)

They do need a damn good thrashing every now and again! Maybe it took the hump :rolleyes:

My aged parents whom I was taking back up to Scotlandshire didnt even notice we doing 90ish. Just commented on the smooth ride and handling and lack of noise in the back. +++

The_Laird 17th October 2016 01:12 PM

Take care David, it can get a little more noisy in the back above the 90-ish kph that you reported doing. Wouldn't want the parents to experience any discomfort! :)