A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Everything else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Subtle Enhancements - Like to Have (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17140)

strummagnet 4th December 2023 09:20 AM

Subtle Enhancements - Like to Have

Whilst you cant fault the driving experience of an Audi D2 I am wondering what would be any subtle 'modern day additions' that are achievable and would enhance but keep the originality of the platform. Things such as:

Auto lights
Rain sensing windscreen wipers - also the ability for the wipers when on full to switch to intermittent when at a stop
Head units (though comprehensively covered by Ronin) - my personal preference would be something like BMW's iDrive system, but its not a daily driver so my phone is adequate, for now......

Any of you have any "it would be nice to have's"?

sarg 4th December 2023 09:56 AM

My #1 like-to-have would be a modern gearbox

HPsauce 4th December 2023 11:12 AM

I've mostly reverted mine to standard except for the reversing camera which is very useful.
Though I do really need to replace it with one that's better at night. :tuttut:

Adaptive (radar) cruise would be handy at times too. Apart from that nothing needed.

SatNav (RNS-D) works well enough most of the time and phone/passenger deal with real-time traffic congestion issues. :ROFL:

Ronin 4th December 2023 01:45 PM

Decent headlights - xenon plus headlights are laughable joke. I'm working on this already
Auto fold mirrors - working on this too.
Front parking camera - this will be half a day's work once weather improves.

RICKY D 4th December 2023 02:17 PM

Auto fold wing mirrors would be a dream.

Hidden rear wiper. Hidden so it doesn’t spoil the D2 lines.

Manual gearbox option for RHD.

steamship 4th December 2023 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 174294)
Decent headlights - xenon plus headlights are laughable joke.

Not as laughable as the bog standard halogens.

tonupkid 4th December 2023 04:13 PM

It's worth noting that Xenons have a finite life. The internals are slowly consumed by use. The lamps adjust for this but eventually, there is no remaining adjustment and the light output degrades, it's then for new bulbs.

HPsauce 4th December 2023 04:34 PM

+1. Mine were fine after I replaced the bulbs a few years back now. Still good.

Ronin 4th December 2023 06:07 PM

I don't believe anyone saying that their 21+ year old xenon pluses are good.
They were good when brand new and now they are utter crap they are like shining a flash light through a bathroom privacy window because of that stupid lens inside which cracks and goes yellow.

halogens and xenons are way better now than xenon pluses after 21 years.

The only person with brand new X+ in the country is MJ, i was actually going to have a 'hadlight-off' with her yesterday, but we finished working on a car way before it got dark and both went home.

It was supposed to be
new x+ vs my 21yo x+
21yo x+ vs 21yo halogens
and 21yo halogens vs brand new x+

There's also a retrofit mod I'm working on for halogen/single beam xenon headlights which is tbc.

strummagnet 5th December 2023 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 174299)

There's also a retrofit mod I'm working on for halogen/single beam xenon headlights which is tbc.

LED lights?:)