A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Air suspension weaknesses??? Opinions Please :) (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2398)

A8L Chick 17th December 2010 01:34 PM

Air suspension weaknesses??? Opinions Please :)

I have ordered a new compressor (OEM GULP!) for my D3 A8L, as recently after engine shutdown, something sounding like a tractor was still running (until the battery went flat) :(

I "think" it sounded like the compressor, and it was coming from the n/s front of the car (you could feel the vibrations) ooh eer from both inside and outside the car.

Now, I am mainly after opinions on what the weakpoints of these air suspension setups are in your opinions? I have just randomly ordered the compressor after the suspension warning light is now solid orange and the suspension is stiffer than the EVO :cry: I feel like I am driving a 1980's ****box now-not an 80k luxury sedan :rolleyes:

I hope after ordering that it is the compressor burnt out, and not anything else, but if it isn't fixed-what do you think I should try?????

(I have had her in for guided fault finding-but after 1 hour Audi wanted to do a further 3 hours fault finding to diagnose the fault................. at over £100 an hour they got told to go jump :p)

Bex

Conan_the_Librarian 17th December 2010 02:57 PM

Do you have access to VCDS?

A8L Chick 18th December 2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian (Post 16636)
Do you have access to VCDS?

I have yes, and although I can't remember the exact fault codes, there were 2:

One which stated an electrical fault and the second which stated an air leak. I know through searching the web that these two faults combined can mean the compressor is fried, which would make sense...it sounded literally like a tractor.

Inside the car the MMI has blanked off the LIFT & DYNAMIC settings and only allows Auto or comfort to be selected, although whichever you select, nothing changes in the suspension, no softness in comfort-still feels like a bag of bones.

I hope replacing the compressor is an easy job-because I am going to replace it on my own.

Does anyone know whether it needs configuring with the car???

Many Thanks

Bex :o

A8L Chick 22nd December 2010 10:26 PM

Anyone??? :(

Conan_the_Librarian 23rd December 2010 08:03 AM

Sorry Bex, Looks like your the first with the problem.

PsYcHe 23rd December 2010 11:32 AM

Erm.. You could have a leak in the system (other than the compressor) which would increase the work rate of the compressor and potentially the noise (though must admit I can't remember hearing mine).

A8parts should have a D3 compressor floating about as well. Does the whole car sag, or just one corner?

A8L Chick 23rd December 2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsYcHe (Post 16746)
Erm.. You could have a leak in the system (other than the compressor) which would increase the work rate of the compressor and potentially the noise (though must admit I can't remember hearing mine).

A8parts should have a D3 compressor floating about as well. Does the whole car sag, or just one corner?

The whole car has gone stiff now, I think you may be right. I have bought a new compressor, when I fit it I will have a look to see if I can find any holes/splits in the hoses etc.

That is what I thought too, and almost hoping for.

Does anyone know whether I have to code the compressor to the car once fitted or will the car recognise it and sort the coding?

Bex

(P.S thanks for all input-it is greatly appreciated)

:D

PsYcHe 24th December 2010 08:30 AM

I don't think the compressor has to be coded to the car, so you should be OK.

FireStorm 29th December 2010 07:38 PM

How much was this part you ordered?

A8L Chick 31st December 2010 10:14 PM

Hi Nathan, I got an OEM audi part for £400.00

Now I just have to work out how to fit the damn thing...?

I took the bumper and headlight out and have no idea how to access this bloody compressor?

I think I may have to remove the bloody wing!!! :(