A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D4 - Wheels and Tyres (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Do I need to replace all 4 tyres? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13891)

BigAl5 1st March 2018 08:50 AM

Do I need to replace all 4 tyres?

Hi guys, the two front tyres on my Quattro A8 will need replacing soon but the rear tyres will last another few months. Question is, is it essential to replace all 4 tyres at the same time?

I’ve heard there are two Audi Quattro systems and one is far more sensitive to uneven tyre wear across the 4 tyres than the other Quattro system. Do you know which system I’d have on my car?

pete-p 1st March 2018 10:27 AM

I've seen this question come up a few times and from what I've seen there is no need to replace all four, what seems to be most important is to ensure tyres on the same axle match.

Adrian E 1st March 2018 10:30 AM

No need to replace all 4 at once - I'd rotate the rears onto the front to finish them off when you get a pair of new tyres fitted. Once the fronts are then dead again repeat the process and you've got some nicely bedded in tyres on the front that'll last longer and won't scrub tread off as readily.

Whether it makes sense to do that will depend on how close to the limit the rears are at the moment - just swapping to new tyres of the same type isn't an issue. If you're changing brand they 'may' have a different rolling radius, but again the quattro system can cope fine.

Was only the uR quattro and others around that period that needed more care, although if you have the LSD in the back end it pays to keep similar tread across the axle at all times

David's8 1st March 2018 12:03 PM

I think that the Torsen system is relatively tolerant of differences in tyre circumference. The Haldex system used in the LR Freelander I have is not and I understand that running, say, tyres with 3mm of tread and tyres at the other end with 7/8mm will knackered the Haldex unit.

BigAl5 1st March 2018 02:14 PM

Thanks guys. Ok, it does appear that my A8 has the Torsen Quattro system.

I’ll change the tyres on the front and take your advice of swapping them to the rear.

+++

1781cc 1st March 2018 05:45 PM

Thats weird about the haldex unit in the Freelander, what an oddity, I've run staggered, slicks and weirdo sizes all over my track TT, its subject to all forms of abuse and I have the haldex unit locked in permanent 50/50 with a PowerTrack insert as well.

The clutches are fine and the diffs have never sh*t themselves either.

Back to the OP, I rotate front to back, get the most out and replace all 4 at the same time +++

Johnmed 1st March 2018 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1781cc (Post 138474)
Thats weird about the haldex unit in the Freelander, what an oddity, I've run staggered, slicks and weirdo sizes all over my track TT, its subject to all forms of abuse and I have the haldex unit locked in permanent 50/50 with a PowerTrack insert as well.

Back to the OP, I rotate front to back, get the most out and replace all 4 at the same time +++

Are all the 8s torsen AWD?

Also, I rotate from front to back and then replace all 4.

David's8 1st March 2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnmed (Post 138476)
Are all the 8s torsen AWD?

Also, I rotate from front to back and then replace all 4.

All '8s are Torsen. Audi/VAG used Haldex on TTs, S3 and VW Golfs.

Johnmed 1st March 2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1781cc (Post 138474)

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 138477)
All '8s are Torsen. Audi/VAG used Haldex on TTs, S3 and VW Golfs.

Cheers. That’s what I thought. Haldex - transverse engines. Torsen - longitudinal. Thanks for confirming.

tintin 1st March 2018 09:28 PM

This seems quite a good summary of 4WD systems:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wvmekv7/

Give me Torsen all day, any day, personally...

And I agree about swapping/mixing, but only in pairs on the same axle - though I currently have matched Michelin PA4s on my S8, I have Michelin PA4s as front and Pirelli Sottogeros as rears on My Model S +++