A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Headlight Symbol Illumination LEDs (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7618)

snapdragon 12th February 2014 05:21 PM

Headlight Symbol Illumination LEDs

I just replaced the second LED in my headlight switch.
The green sidelight on one blew 2 years ago, yesterday the orange Auto one blew. I was able to desolder the old ones and put in some new ones that were slightly smaller, but a good replacement.

Remove the switch by turning knob to 0 then pushing the knob in 1cm and turning to first position, this should cause side pins to withdraw and then it cab be pulled out. You can then unclip with fingernail or similar in the end edge of the connector.

3 screws remove the back of the switch and the PCB lifts out and the LEDs are on the other side.
The orange Auto one is bigger, I had a small one and it is not quite so bright.
It's still OK though.

The parts to search ebay etc.. for are "yellow 0603 led" "yellow 0402 led" or whatever colour. The number refers to the size in mm, not sure if 0603 is better, I used 0402 and they were a little small.

Delboy 12th February 2014 06:38 PM

Nice one, thats the kind of thing I love to see.

Most people would either put up with it or replace the whole switch.

M-A8 13th February 2014 04:19 PM

Same here, great stuff +++
I may have to do something similar soon as I lost all the illuminating bits above the chrome horizontal bar running across the dashboard including buttons on the chrome bar.
Visit card tray, vents etc, all dead.

The only bits which still lit are the hazard lights button, ESP on off and parking sensor I think.

paulrstaylor 13th February 2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M-A8 (Post 68315)
Same here, great stuff +++
I may have to do something similar soon as I lost all the illuminating bits above the chrome horizontal bar running across the dashboard including buttons on the chrome bar.
Visit card tray, vents etc, all dead.

The only bits which still lit are the hazard lights button, ESP on off and parking sensor I think.

Probably a 1A fuse that has blown, I replaced mine with a 2A and i't not gone again since :)

M-A8 13th February 2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 68322)
Probably a 1A fuse that has blown, I replaced mine with a 2A and i't not gone again since :)

Laziness and situational stupidity sometimes has no limits.

Just changed the SB29 and it's like a different car, CHEERS Paul +++

One question tho, I have no 1A or 2A fuses so I had to stick 5A, would it matter a lot, can something bad happen if there is a problem which blown the fuse on the first place??

Oli18 13th February 2014 09:12 PM

Nice one +++

Can the moderators make this a sticky possibly?

Oli

paulrstaylor 13th February 2014 09:57 PM

I doubt you will have any issues with a 5A and in most cars that is as low as you would find, but I'd be tempted to pick up a 1A or 2A at some point because the cost pennies and sometimes better to be safe than sorry :)

M-A8 13th February 2014 10:05 PM

That's what I thought. Will 'upgrade' my fuse kit as it starts from 5A up.
Thanks very much Paul +++

Architex_mA8tey 13th February 2014 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oli18 (Post 68375)
Nice one +++

Can the moderators make this a sticky possibly?

Oli

Yep tis done +++

neeldub 13th November 2017 11:02 PM

I can report that I have successfully carried out this repair and that my light cluster now lights up green again... It's ALIVE! lol

Many thanks for this write up...