A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Graphical PDC module for sale. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12640)

mattylondon 3rd February 2017 08:52 AM

Graphical PDC module for sale.

I spotted this on ebay. Not mine but thought I'd flag this up for people looking for the graphical upgrade. The photos have the correct 'C' revision, description does say 'A'. Could be worth checking.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192027912145

JulianHicks 4th February 2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylondon (Post 123774)
I spotted this on ebay. Not mine but thought I'd flag this up for people looking for the graphical upgrade. The photos have the correct 'C' revision, description does say 'A'. Could be worth checking.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192027912145

Checked it and bought it! Just got to work out where it goes and what I need to do! Thanks Matty ...

Julian

mattylondon 6th February 2017 08:56 AM

Glad someone bought it +++

It's a straight swap with your existing module (it's next to the radio in the boot left hand side secured to the wall around the rear suspension strut). Coding will be the same as your current. It may need to be enabled from the MMI menu.

Architex_mA8tey 6th February 2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylondon (Post 123958)
Glad someone bought it +++

It's a straight swap with your existing module (it's next to the radio in the boot left hand side secured to the wall around the rear suspension strut). Coding will be the same as your current. It may need to be enabled from the MMI menu.

Are you sure coding is the same? I thought that you had to enable it in the hidden menu plus adjust the coding as well, I seem to remember 2 things had to be done once you had swapped the module? :Confused:

mattylondon 6th February 2017 11:19 AM

Doubled check the coding and yes, you're correct, bit 2 need updating with a 2 or 3. See below +++
Code:

Coding the control unit
The code is composed as follows:
0 X X X X X X : Always
  0 X X X X X : Without fingerprint identification, without visual parking system
  1 X X X X X : With fingerprint identification, without visual parking system
  2 X X X X X : Without fingerprint identification, with visual parking system
  3 X X X X X : With fingerprint identification, with visual parking system

0 X X X X : Without trailer hitch, without rear-view camera
    1 X X X X : With trailer hitch, without rear-view camera
    2 X X X X : Without trailer hitch, with rear-view camera
    3 X X X X : With trailer hitch, with rear-view camera
      0 X X X : Manual
      1 X X X : Automatic gearbox
        0 X X : ECE countries
        1 X X : Single Frame ECE countries (12-cylinder engine)
        2 X X : USA
        3 X X : Single Frame USA (12-cylinder engine)
          0 X : Saloon
            8 : A8 2003E

JulianHicks 6th February 2017 12:16 PM

Thanks Guys; at least I now know where the ECU is, which will hopefully be a simple swap.

As to coding, I assumed it would'nt need changing as it would retain its coding from the previous car, although I HAD looked at the VCDS label file for the ECU to see what could/might be set. But now your comments have set me thinking; it may have the parking aid bit set but the ECU could well have been coded differently for other options the car might have had, so I will need to set it appropriately for my car with VCDS.

WIth regard to the MMI menu, I've never seen the parking aid in the MMI; am I right in assuming that the control head will 'see' the different ECU/coding and adapt the MMI menus to include the extra parking aid info?

Julian

mattylondon 6th February 2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulianHicks (Post 123965)
WIth regard to the MMI menu, I've never seen the parking aid in the MMI; am I right in assuming that the control head will 'see' the different ECU/coding and adapt the MMI menus to include the extra parking aid info?

May need to reboot the MMI after installation. When the 'C' module is installed the graphic feature is called Audi Parking System. I think you go 'Car' > 'Systems' and it's near the top as it's sorted alphabetically.

Previously you will have the parking aid in the MMI somewhere as you can set the volume of the beeps.

JulianHicks 6th February 2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylondon (Post 123960)
Doubled check the coding and yes, you're correct, bit 2 need updating with a 2 or 3. See below +++

BTW Matt, that's an interesting bit map table for the ECU coding! It's obviously not out of the VCDS label file - where did you get it?

Julian

mattylondon 6th February 2017 01:47 PM

Yeah, quite a bit of VCDS documentation is out of date or missing. I keep all what I find / discover in my own notes.

tc4332 6th February 2017 06:19 PM

Julian, I was thinking of beating you to it but then remembered that with reversing camera view in the MMI it would not work for me.
I have fitted an x-car link for the reverse camera and it takes control of the MMI blanking all other system feeds.
Hope that load of drivel makes sense. :D