A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Common Faults (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Another Wiper Problem? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2193)

topgolfer1 3rd October 2010 04:52 PM

Another Wiper Problem?

Hi all,I know this problem has been documented before,but I am not sure if this is quite the same.

Now the most common problem is the one where the wipers start to slow down and a quick spray of wd40 on the linkage etc, seems to solve it, all be it on a short term basis
My problem is the wipers appear to work at the correct sped but then randomly stop.Now as some of you know,I purchased the S8 from Clive Harper+++ and he has changed the motor and mech around January this year, as he experienced the common fault,and on inspection,having removed the cover, all seems well in that area.

So could it be a relay,if so which one is the wiper relay, or some other electrical issue per chance?The stalk operates all of the functions,washer and display etc.

Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

Looking forward to ADI so long as it aint raining:ROFL:

B@fink 3rd October 2010 05:13 PM

i had an issue where the wipers wouldn't stop............. slightly annoying if you used the washers and then ended up with the wipers flapping away. I did a bit of looking and the wires the go into the motor were a bit corroded at the multi plug. They effectivly sit in a damp atmosphere and went green. Might be worth a check that they aren't going funny?

topgolfer1 3rd October 2010 05:15 PM

Cheers for quick reply,but have tried that and all appears ok.

ulfilias 4th November 2010 08:37 AM

Hi There,

I had one wiper just stop and then it collided with the other blade and that was nasty in the rain. Had to remove the blade and flip the wiper up so as not to foul which got me home.

It apears the spline on the wiper arm has corroded away, which means the drive is turning, but the wiper wasn't then sometimes it would catch and hence the crash of blades. I need a new wiper arm i would guess.

Cya,
Lee

Conan_the_Librarian 4th November 2010 06:05 PM

Sounds like it. Have you tried A8parts?

ulfilias 4th November 2010 07:24 PM

Pair for £20 from A8 via ebay:love:

badger7777 8th November 2010 03:29 PM

might need a new wiper linkage depending on the wear on the splines?

ulfilias 8th November 2010 03:59 PM

The Splines on the Wiper linkage are fine. They appear to be steel (maybe brass given the colour actualy) but versus the aluminium of the wiper arms it has stood up fine.

However i'm a little disapointed with the second hand arms as they have considerable wear themselves (from a 98 car, mine was 2000). I am currently trialing them to see if they will work as they are definatly better than my old one, but am wondering if some locktight or something may be in order....or New arms from audi:(