A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   01119 - Gear Recognition Signal (Intermittent) in ABS (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1871)

notorious 6th June 2010 02:10 PM

01119 - Gear Recognition Signal (Intermittent) in ABS

Hi guys, did anyone experince this error code in ABS?

Frankly i don't even understand meaning of the message, as word gear can mean two things :)
Does it mean ABS cannot talk to tranny or does it mean ABS have problem communicating it's own "gear", i.e. ABS sensors?

ELSA suggests this error appears in ABS when Transmission control unit throws an error.
But my transmission have no error codes in it and works very well.
This is strange.

Below is VAGCOM output. Apart from this ABS error there are no more errors in the vehicle and no warning lamps on instruments panel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8D0-907-389.lbl
Part No: 4D0 907 389 E
Component: ABS/ESP allrad D57
Coding: 08397
Shop #: WSC 02313

1 Fault Found:
01119 - Gear Recognition Signal
35-10 - - - Intermittent

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01V-927-156.lbl
Part No: 4D0 927 156 DT
Component: AG5 01V 3.7l5V RdW 1920
Coding: 00001
Shop #: WSC 02313

No fault code found.

I saw a number of posts in different audi forums in US, UK, Germany and Russia from people with exactly the same situation, but I didn't find any definitive solution of what can it be...

notorious 8th September 2010 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, this is what I found about this problem (see picture below).
I specifically insert picture here as I have no idea what they are talking about...

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1283967968

Fault recognition:
- Fault value for gear shift lever position in CAN message gearbox 1 was received.
- Fault value for target gear or engaged gear in CAN message gearbox 1 was received

Rectification:
- Read out error log of engine control unit.
(why ECU ???)

Guided Fault Finding:
- Signal for gear detection

However, this information is from Bosch 5.7 manual and my car has Bosch 5.3

Can anyone comment what the hell all this means and in what direction I should proceed?

A bit more of background: The following 3 control units sit on a dedicated CAN bus and exchange data: 1. ABS control unit 2. Gearbox control unit 3. Instruments panel. One can suggest that it's a connection problem between ABS and Gearbox control units, however, on my 2002 A8 D2 both ABS control unit and Gearbox control unit are located in plenum chamber airtight sealed box (together with Engine control unit). I opened the box and there's are no traces of water ingress and all components are in mint condition, which makes me think CAN bus connection between ABS control unit and Gearbox control unit is tip top.

Architex_mA8tey 8th September 2010 07:15 PM

Ross Tech Wiki says -

01119 - Gear Recognition Signal

Possible Symptoms
ABS Warning Lamp active

Special Notes
If found in Brake Electronics, check Transmission Control Module (TCM) for Fault Codes.

notorious 6th January 2013 10:14 AM

Dirty ABS sensors. Removed all 4 ABS sensors from car and cleaned on 22nd of November 2012 with Wurth brake cleaner fluid. Driven car every day until today, 6th of January 2013. No more error.

Same issue was discussed here: http://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/65591.phtml.

"I had the same gear recognition code. Appear frequently until I cleaned off the face of all of the ABS sensors. I have not had the 01119 code reappear in over 18 months now."

HPsauce 25th February 2013 01:24 PM

As I mentioned in another thread this code was on my car when I bought it, so I noted and cleared it.

No warning lights whatsoever (unlike others have mentioned) but just running a regular scan today it had returned - everything else is totally clean.

Some other sites suggest that it "could" be related to gearbox coding and using the tiptronic switches on the steering wheel in "D". I have been doing this a bit while "exploring" the car. :tuttut:

Now I haven't bothered looking at the gearbox coding but I do know the tip switches work in "D" though I don't know if that's standard behaviour anyway. :cool:

Architex_mA8tey 25th February 2013 01:48 PM

not sure if it's standard behavior on the later boxes with "s" sports mode but certainly not with a normal tiptronic box. Mine doesn't activate or light up the buttons on the steering wheel until you slide the gear selector across to the Tiptronic side

IT 25th February 2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 53902)
not sure if it's standard behavior on the later boxes with "s" sports mode but certainly not with a normal tiptronic box. Mine doesn't activate or light up the buttons on the steering wheel until you slide the gear selector across to the Tiptronic side

Yes, all Audis with 'S' boxes will jump into tiptronic if you touch the steering wheel buttons / paddles.... +++

Pre 'S' boxes with 432 etc will need to manually moved to tiptronic mode before steering wheel buttons will work +++

HPsauce 25th February 2013 02:09 PM

I can't find it now but earlier I'm sure I read a thread (not here) about gearbox coding to enable the steering wheel switches all the time, presumably (though I didn't note it) for the "432" gearstick.

Mine, as no doubt others of the type do, just reverts to D after a while if you don't touch the buttons again. Still learning. :o

limoncello 25th February 2013 02:14 PM

there is a load of codings here for the transmission, not sure if it was the same thing you were looking at

HPsauce 25th February 2013 02:26 PM

Found it, in here (briefly) http://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/65591.phtml not A8 specific though so possibly a red herring.

HPsauce 19th March 2013 12:32 PM

Just did a scan today and the 01119 is back. :Confused:

Architex_mA8tey 19th March 2013 12:51 PM

have you tried cleaning the face of your ABS sensors like Sergey did?

HPsauce 19th March 2013 12:56 PM

Not yet. ;)
I've got a wheel out of balance somewhere (possible lost weight) so I'll get my tame tyre man round and clean them while he's got the wheels off.

I will shortly (we can only hope re the weather! :( ) need the winter wheels taking off the Focus, so I'll wait for a forecast of warmer days. :)

HPsauce 20th November 2016 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 54770)
Just did a scan today and the 01119 is back. :Confused:

OK this was well over 3 years ago and this code just came back regularly as soon as the car was driven any distance.
BUT by today, after replacing my F125 switch on Friday, it's not returned. :cool:

MikkiJayne 20th November 2016 03:01 PM

Have you used tiptronic or the buttons on the wheel yet? That's what prompts the code on mine. I think its just a software bug.

HPsauce 20th November 2016 03:41 PM

I never use the tiptronic on the stick, just the steering wheel buttons, and yes I have with no issues. :cool:

I can just about imagine that using the stick "could" disturb the linkage to the gearbox and affect the F125 if it was dodgy/marginal on a contact. I do recall that using Sport mode generally masked my other problem so it all sort of hangs together logically (for my issues).

MikkiJayne 20th November 2016 03:55 PM

Hmm I might try mine now I've cleaned the switch up then :)

HPsauce 21st November 2016 09:29 AM

Been out this morning and all is well. Just checked with VCDS and no return of 01119 either. +++

David's8 21st November 2016 09:38 AM

Just did a trip to Edinburgh airport last night - first long trip after replacing the switch. All was good and it behaved itself whether using tiptronic from the stick or the buttons on the wheel. +++