A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Everything else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Final Edition - Official Citations? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11093)

moltuae 25th January 2016 08:31 AM

Final Edition - Official Citations?

Something I was thinking about the other day which got me wondering ...

We all frequently talk about FE D2s and I think we all pretty much agree what signifies an FE and how to spot one, even if we don't all agree whether an FE is more desirable or less desirable than an non-FE S8.

BUT, is there any official Audi documentation (sales literature, etc) that defines or sets apart those latter cars as 'Final Editions'?

Incidentally, when I purchased my own FE almost 5 years ago now, I did so in complete ignorance of FEs. At the time I was simply looking for a good late D2 S8; it was some months later that I learned what an FE was and that I now owned one. Had I known what an FE was at the time though, I think I would've still set out to find one.

IT 25th January 2016 08:43 AM

Released March 4, but effective February 28, 2002, Audi has announced two special edition versions of the S8 model as part of the run-out activity of the A8 and S8 model ranges.
The two special editions are available in two colours, the Ebony Black version priced GBP 58,815 and the Avus Silver version priced GBP 59,815, both including delivery.

Additional items for new special editions:
- 8.5x20" highly polished 9-Spoke alloy wheels with 255/35 ZR20 tyres
- a boot mounted six-disc CD autochanger
- a BOSE audio-system
- xenon plus bi-xenon headlights
- telephone preparation with hands free function
- TV and Teletext reception
- coloured enhanced Leather pack II (seat upholstery, lower dashboard & centre console sides in Fine Nappa leather from quattro GmbH)
- coloured Controls pack (handbrake & gear lever in Fine Nappa leather)
- coloured leather sports steering wheel with tiptronic transmission controls
- dark Myrtle wood fascia, centre console & door trim

Upholstery options for new special editions:
- Avus Silver - Brilliant Red or Mauve leather upholstery & controls
- Ebony Black - Brilliant Red or Silver Grey leather upholstery & controls

Released April 10, but effective April 5, 2002, Audi has announced the availability of further S8 Special Editions due to the success of initial versions.

Audi has added two new colour-ways to the S8 Special Edition range:
- Misano Red with Silver Grey leather upholstery
- Aqua Blue with Morning Dew leather upholstery

The S8 special Edition in Aqua Blue, is priced GBP 58,815 and the Misano Red edition, priced at GBP 59,815, both including delivery.

Conquistador 25th January 2016 08:59 AM

Good definitive guide. Thanks +++

We can now direct all those ebay sellers who list their cars as Final Editions to justify a premium of £4,000, to this page :D

moltuae 25th January 2016 09:08 AM

Excellent! +++

But where is that info copied from?

i.e. Citation Please :D

IT 25th January 2016 09:24 AM

I'm pretty sure it came from the Audi website at the time of launch, literally copied and pasted. It has survived on various forum posts for years.

I have never seen any evidence to dispute the statements here, although the exact implementation of the extended leather does vary sometime - Some cars are more red than others for example, but the colour combos are definitive in my eyes.

moltuae 25th January 2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 105386)
I'm pretty sure it came from the Audi website at the time of launch, literally copied and pasted. It has survived on various forum posts for years.

I have never seen any evidence to dispute the statements here

I'm sure there's no reason to dispute it, but I was hoping there may have been some verifiable official evidence somewhere; in a sales brochure perhaps, a leaflet, or even just a screenshot of Audi's website. Without any of that, it's just hearsay.

I'd love to see some proper evidence. I'm a man of science; without proof, it didn't happen.

IT 25th January 2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 105393)
I'm sure there's no reason to dispute it, but I was hoping there may have been some verifiable official evidence somewhere; in a sales brochure perhaps, a leaflet, or even just a screenshot of Audi's website. Without any of that, it's just hearsay.

I'd love to see some proper evidence. I'm a man of science; without proof, it didn't happen.

Agreed, but it just doesn't exist.

Take the current, Audi A8 Edition 21 for example:

https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/la...-progress.html

This is the text from the website, just like the D2 final edition..... That's about as scientific as I can make it +++

I doubt for a run of 121 cars, its worth even making a brochure... ;)

moltuae 25th January 2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 105399)
Agreed, but it just doesn't exist.

Take the current, Audi A8 Edition 21 for example:

https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/la...-progress.html

This is the text from the website, just like the D2 final edition..... That's about as scientific as I can make it +++

I doubt for a run of 121 cars, its worth even making a brochure... ;)

True.

Ah well, shame nobody thought to get a screenshot of the website at the time.

Just had a look on archive.org, which goes back far enough, but the cached pages from 2001/2 don't seem to work :(

The_Laird 25th January 2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 105386)
I have never seen any evidence to dispute the statements here, although the exact implementation of the extended leather does vary sometime - Some cars are more red than others for example, but the colour combos are definitive in my eyes.

And some don't have the extended leather at all.

IT 25th January 2016 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 105407)
And some don't have the extended leather at all.

An FE with no extended leather ?.

Not sure about that....

The leather was both exclusive (not run of the mill colours) and also extended to include the transmission tunnels, lower dash and door cards.

I would seriously question the true 'FE' ness of any car not having this ?