A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Wheels and Tyres (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Accelera Tyres on Roberto’s recommendation. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14878)

Johnmed 5th April 2019 05:05 PM

Accelera Tyres on Roberto’s recommendation.

1 Attachment(s)
Having read Roberto wax lyrical about this brand over the years I finally took the plunge, with an open mind.

Should get them fitted tomorrow.

Got them from Camskill for £57.50 before fitting. 255 40 19s.

ainarssems 5th April 2019 06:05 PM

That's cheap for 19", but only C rating for wet performance and last time I bought brand new cheap brand they lasted about 3k miles when second hand Michelin with 7mm+ can be had for similar money and can do 20k miles.

Johnmed 5th April 2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 149385)
That's cheap for 19", but only C rating for wet performance and last time I bought brand new cheap brand they lasted about 3k miles when second hand Michelin with 7mm+ can be had for similar money and can do 20k miles.

Maybe you’ll see me in a ditch soon.

I’ve read really mixed reviews of them, so I’m trying to keep an open mind. I’ve always run decent brand tyres on my cars.

If they’re anything like the cheap brands the wife used to insist on having on her Honda, I’ll be disappointed. Slightest bit of rain and they were ditch finding.

I don’t like used tyres, and the positive reviews online and from Robert persuaded me to give them a go.

homer simpson 5th April 2019 06:32 PM

I was thinking of buying them when he advertised his last batch but I had bought a set of Pirellis for 305-35% off list as they were as new, 8mm and were removed upon delivery of a new car so no miles. I may get them in the future if there are enough good reviews. I am also confident roberto would not advertise them if they were that poor.

ainarssems 5th April 2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnmed (Post 149386)
Maybe you’ll see me in a ditch soon.

I’ve read really mixed reviews of them, so I’m trying to keep an open mind. I’ve always run decent brand tyres on my cars.

If they’re anything like the cheap brands the wife used to insist on having on her Honda, I’ll be disappointed. Slightest bit of rain and they were ditch finding.

I don’t like used tyres, and the positive reviews online and from Robert persuaded me to give them a go.

It's been a long time since I last bought cheap new set ( ~16 years), I am sure most of them have improved a lot in that time. I don't have problem buying used sets. It's not like when I buy second hand car and replace all the tyres on it straight away just because somebody used them before.:)

A6 currently have Michelin PA4 that I bought autumn 2017 unused old stock £200 for 4, did about 4k miles last winter and about 11k this winter, still 5-5.5mm with hard driving. Will change to summers soon and do another winter on these and still will be able to sell them on ebay with 2-3mm. But have to say I did like old PA3 better.

H-M3 5th April 2019 11:34 PM

I bought 2 from Camskill year ago, seem to be fine. Camskill delivery is +++

Johnmed 6th April 2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-M3 (Post 149391)
I bought 2 from Camskill year ago, seem to be fine. Camskill delivery is +++

That’s good to hear. I got them from Camskill too, delivery is great. Oponeo put their prices up before I could order.

Architex_mA8tey 6th April 2019 06:55 AM

I've got a set of 20" Acceleras on my D2 and put them on before I went to the Germany meet in the car last autumn.
I wouldn't say I drive that car hard and I certainly don't do many miles in it or use it as a daily driver but they have been fine for those purposes.
I guess if I was likely to use all the tread depth before the tyres went out of date and was using the car daily then I would probably go for a medium or premium brand tyre instead but these suit me fine at the moment and work well profile wise with the 20" Bentley wheels and the lowered front end

moltuae 6th April 2019 10:03 AM

I'm all for saving money, and for most things in life I'll opt for unbranded if there's little difference in quality, but tyres are something I NEVER compromise on. I always check the independent tyre tests and performance ratings and pick the best tyres that money can buy. I change them every 2-3 years too, despite averaging less than 8K miles annually.

For me it's not about how you drive or whether there's any perceivable difference in grip and handling in normal driving conditions, it's about having the best possible road holding and stopping distance in emergency situations. You never know when you might need that extra grip or when a few metres might be the difference between life and death.

In all the tests I have seen, Accelera tyres perform adequately but are way behind the premium brands. And while they might be a few hundred pounds cheaper than some of the best tyres available, I'd look to save money just about anywhere else first, if I had to, just to be able afford the best tyres.

tc4332 6th April 2019 07:56 PM

I'm running on four 20" wheels purchased from Roberto who had fitted Accelra. I was gobsmacked at the grip both wet and dry. All I need now is to see how long they last.
And they performed really well in the snow.