A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Heated windscreen (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16004)

hunker7 6th December 2020 11:06 AM

Heated windscreen

Now that mornings are little more chillier I expected to see the magic of heated windscreen, very disappointed to find out it doesn't work.

Not sure where to start at diagnosing the problem, can't find the fuse either.

If I'm correct it should automatically turn on when it's 2C or below and defrost button is pressed?

Any help would be appreciated +++

steamship 6th December 2020 01:37 PM

Temperature has to be below 5 degrees and the HVAC needs to be on 'Auto'. If you have access to VCDS then you can scan it for errors and also use it to perform the Output Tests on the HVAC system. If the conditions are right then the amber light should flash on the button when in use.

As for fuses, I don't believe there are any (or at least none that I can find) as the control unit fitted in the boot is wired directly to the battery. The battery also needs to be in relatively good condition as it draws a lot of power.

tonupkid 6th December 2020 01:52 PM

When it is operating the tell tale amber light in the button will blink

hunker7 6th December 2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 161421)
Temperature has to be below 5 degrees and the HVAC needs to be on 'Auto'. If you have access to VCDS then you can scan it for errors and also use it to perform the Output Tests on the HVAC system. If the conditions are right then the amber light should flash on the button when in use.

As for fuses, I don't believe there are any (or at least none that I can find) as the control unit fitted in the boot is wired directly to the battery. The battery also needs to be in relatively good condition as it draws a lot of power.

As soon as I press windscreen button 'auto' switches off, and AC comes on as expected but amber light doesn't flash, just solid. As for battery, that's brand new fitted few months back.

It is 0.5C at the moment, and nothing happens.

HVAC is clear of errors :Confused:

Stromaluski 6th December 2020 02:20 PM

Did all D2s have a heated windscreen? I had no idea that was even a thing.

HPsauce 6th December 2020 02:38 PM

It was a pretty rare option.

Back then the patents/licences for it were almost all held by Ford which is why they had it relatively widely available, even on my 1998 Focus (one of the first out of the factory).

I presume Audi decided to pay the fees to Ford for their premium model range. And I'd guess Ford would be happy to take the money as they had no competing model.

steamship 6th December 2020 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stromaluski (Post 161425)
Did all D2s have a heated windscreen? I had no idea that was even a thing.

A rare item as it was an option, and something I never thought of asking the OP.

hunker7 - Do you have this in the area above the battery? If not, then you don't have a heated windscreen.

hunker7 6th December 2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 161430)
A rare item as it was an option, and something I never thought of asking the OP.

hunker7 - Do you have this in the area above the battery? If not, then you don't have a heated windscreen.

I do indeed :D

steamship 6th December 2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunker7 (Post 161431)
I do indeed :D

OK, just went and sat in a very cold (-2.5) car to check things. Ignore my previous comment about it being in Auto (or even Econ) as it just disables them.

Light starts flashing after about a second and it took about 1.5 minutes to completely clear the windscreen, which isn't bad considering it's been frozen since last night.

I wonder if there's a fuse inside the controller module considering there's no other indication of one anywhere, and you'd think it would need one with its power requirements. Possibly behind that small panel at the bottom where the large cables go in.

hunker7 6th December 2020 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 161432)
OK, just went and sat in a very cold (-2.5) car to check things. Ignore my previous comment about it being in Auto (or even Econ) as it just disables them.

Light starts flashing after about a second and it took about 1.5 minutes to completely clear the windscreen, which isn't bad considering it's been frozen since last night.

I wonder if there's a fuse inside the controller module considering there's no other indication of one anywhere, and you'd think it would need one with its power requirements. Possibly behind that small panel at the bottom where the large cables go in.

I think that's the next step, take off the module and have a good look at it. There are 4 wires, 2 from battery to control unit and then 2 that go to windscreen I take it?