A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Everything Else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   D3: Retrofit Upgrades? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11758)

Dxthomas 11th June 2016 05:34 AM

D3: Retrofit Upgrades?

So, in my quest for a nice 4.2 tdi A8 D3 I'm wondering about whether the following adaptations / upgrades are readily achieved:

1) replace rear bumper for W12 style

2) replace steering wheel for more modern Audi wheel (not sure which one - but something a bit more sporty)

3) upgrade the MMI to 3G (or at least so it will accept full postcode)

Your thoughts and ideas welcome - and whether it makes a difference if F/L or not.

limoncello 11th June 2016 07:08 AM

what car have you now

Dxthomas 11th June 2016 05:26 PM

I have a Skoda Octavia Estate - which strangely, I really love! The intention is to find a nice FL 4.2 tdi, but depending on how easy/possible it is to retrofit the items mentioned above, then I might be tempted with a pre-facelift.

limoncello 11th June 2016 05:42 PM

1 and 2 are easy enough with enough cheap parts around too

number 3 - retrofitting mmi 3g+ Daviesbike can probably give you a rough estimate on that one as he has already done it. i wouldnt expect it to be cheap or easy to do.

Rick 11th June 2016 06:44 PM

i like the idea of the newer flat bottomed steering wheels. very nice those!

Conquistador 11th June 2016 06:59 PM

Steering wheel can be done. Just find a nice flat bottomed one from a TT or RS7.

Rear bumper with W12 exhaust trims is easy enough too.

Dxthomas 12th June 2016 05:44 AM

Thanks guys.

In terms of finding parts - I'm guessing e-bay, or this forum?

Is the steering wheel a direct swap - or are there electrics to be meddled with?

homer simpson 12th June 2016 11:22 AM

Interested in how you get on with this. I am not in a position to buy yet but frequently look at AT and eBay. There has been a few 'almost perfect' cars minus one or two options which I would like to retrofit.

Or if daviesbike ever wants to sell his I'm at the front of the queue! :)

Dxthomas 12th June 2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 113583)
Interested in how you get on with this. I am not in a position to buy yet but frequently look at AT and eBay. There has been a few 'almost perfect' cars minus one or two options which I would like to retrofit.

Or if daviesbike ever wants to sell his I'm at the front of the queue! :)

I spend too many hours looking on Autotader and eBay - but that's half the fun isn't it?

There was a nice looking grey one on AT which I was starting to get interested in - but it's gone now. Wasn't up for long.

I would also be seriously tempted if I can find one with a fridge - or retro-fit. I love the gadgets - even if they are used rarely!

IT 13th June 2016 12:12 PM

Although slightly biased I confess, I do believe you're probably better off stretching and investing a D4

The full post code match is a feature of 3G Plus, which isn't a D3 item. Allegedly, it has been enabled with some success on the 3G units, but with side affects. But if you've only got 2G you're looking at 1000's to get anything like the abilities you want.

Whatever money you throw into trying to upgrade the MMI on a D3 will add nothing to its value.

The D3 'tech' is now 14 years old, with a few upgrades along the way, and technology is moving much faster than that. Even 3G is now 7 years old...

If you just want a 'D3 4.2 Tdi' crack on as you were, but definitely head for a late 2009/2010 FL model with 3G if you can.

If you want something that you can upgrade and get more out of, the D4 is a way more modern platform imo that will feel less old for a while yet.