A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Interior Central Locking - Rear Doors Switch Disable (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15120)

irelandbuyer 21st July 2019 06:59 PM

Interior Central Locking - Rear Doors Switch Disable

Last question....apologies...!!

My daughter keeps clicking the switch which locks the entire car. It's the one with the red LED on it.

If i step out of the car for a moment and close the door (and forget to bring the key with me, because it's keyless go, i leave it in the ashtray), boom, i'm locked out. Tried duck-tape but she's dead wide to that one.

Was wondering if there's something configurable in the set-up that somebody might know about?

many thanks

snapdragon 21st July 2019 07:08 PM

Is she in the back or the front? If the back, does the rear-seat passenger lockout button stop this (the one farthest back on the driver's door)

moltuae 22nd July 2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irelandbuyer (Post 151774)
Tried duck-tape but she's dead wide to that one.

You need to put her hands behind her back before wrapping the duck-tape around them :ROFL:

steamship 22nd July 2019 11:28 AM

Unfortunately, there is no easy way of doing it.

The child lock feature that you can activate from the front does not include the 'door lock' feature, which I find bizarre. I can understand the need to stop kids playing with the other buttons and switches, but can't understand the logic of omitting that one, which I presume is there to enable any person in the back seat to lock all the doors in an emergency.

There is no way within the MMI or VCDS to disable the feature, which leaves only one option. That is to remove the door card and physically disconnect the switch.

Just on the topic of central locking, and not wanting to worry you, but are you aware of the issues of deadlocks in VAG cars? If you take the scenario you mentioned, once your daughter kicks the switch, all the doors are deadlocked, and the only way to unlock the car is either with another key (which not everyone has or you could be on holiday) from outside or by pressing the unlock button on the drivers door. That might be okay if the child is old enough to remove their belts and clamber into the drivers seat, but not for younger ones.

There is also no way of permanently disabling the deadlocks. You can disable the deadlocks when you lock the car, but that is only with the button on the door handle, and must be pressed twice in two seconds. You cannot do it with the remote, and I can't even think of a reason for doing this.

irelandbuyer 22nd July 2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapdragon (Post 151775)
Is she in the back or the front? If the back, does the rear-seat passenger lockout button stop this (the one farthest back on the driver's door)

Hi Snap,

No, the only button at the back of the 4 x window switches is the window lockout, no central locking lockout switch...

irelandbuyer 22nd July 2019 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 151785)
Unfortunately, there is no easy way of doing it.

The child lock feature that you can activate from the front does not include the 'door lock' feature, which I find bizarre. I can understand the need to stop kids playing with the other buttons and switches, but can't understand the logic of omitting that one, which I presume is there to enable any person in the back seat to lock all the doors in an emergency.

There is no way within the MMI or VCDS to disable the feature, which leaves only one option. That is to remove the door card and physically disconnect the switch.

Just on the topic of central locking, and not wanting to worry you, but are you aware of the issues of deadlocks in VAG cars? If you take the scenario you mentioned, once your daughter kicks the switch, all the doors are deadlocked, and the only way to unlock the car is either with another key (which not everyone has or you could be on holiday) from outside or by pressing the unlock button on the drivers door. That might be okay if the child is old enough to remove their belts and clamber into the drivers seat, but not for younger ones.

There is also no way of permanently disabling the deadlocks. You can disable the deadlocks when you lock the car, but that is only with the button on the door handle, and must be pressed twice in two seconds. You cannot do it with the remote, and I can't even think of a reason for doing this.

@Steamship, thanks for that. I wasn't aware of that and good to know...

irelandbuyer 22nd July 2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 151777)
You need to put her hands behind her back before wrapping the duck-tape around them :ROFL:

Moltuae, actually you have given inspiration to a hybrid solution that I'm going to deploy tomorrow that involves cardboard and duck tape over said locking switch.

Extremely high tech workaround.

I'll post up pics of my work tomorrow....

Patent pending etc

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: