A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Still water in rear passenger footwell (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12345)

s2_bo 23rd November 2016 06:44 PM

Still water in rear passenger footwell

So I have had an issue in the rear passenger footwell with lots of water building up (thank god there is no ECUs located there).

On the weekend I cleaned out the HVAC drains either side of the center console with compressed air, removed the passenger seat to gain access, hoovered under the rear carpet for about an hour and then dried the foam and carpet with a heat gun. So it was almost bone dry.

Today after checking again its once more satiated with water.
There is no water either side in the front so i don't think the orange HVAC tubes are leaking and there is no water behind the driver seat.

I have followed this guide http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...tordrains.html
but is there any more info or does anyone know what else could be leaking water in to the rear footwell? Someone said the HVAC drains are usually the issue but I dont see how water could be coming so far to the rear with out any of the other areas getting wet...

Many thanks in advance.
Bo

Daz 70 23rd November 2016 07:39 PM

Re Wet

I'm having the same issue, had it for a while..... and cannot seem to find a source of the problem....

Mines the same everything seems to drain ok.... but if heavy downpour.... (well not always so heavy) I notice the carpet is wet front to back (but seems to sit to the rear)..

Doing my head in..... I'm starting to think I'll need to remove the dash and see if it's leaking from the windowscreen or something..

I will keep messing.... and will keep an eye on this in case you come up with something :-)

Good Luck

moltuae 23rd November 2016 08:02 PM

In my experience, lots of water in the rear footwells is usually caused by a blocked centre cowl drain (engine bay, under the air intake box). Shine a torch down there and check if you have any standing water.

Dezzy 23rd November 2016 09:04 PM

Centre drains for sure for wet passenger floor. Best to go in from the drivers side.

Daz 70 24th November 2016 02:50 PM

Hole at back

Well having looked at other posts....

I have indeed found a hole at the back under the air con pipes where they bend left (next to the electronics box in the right hand side of the engine bay).

Looked good ... welll was a faint line.... kinda just looked like how the sealing compond they used was..... however gently push that area and it just started to fall away and reveal the hole...

Cleaned it the best I can.....and put some sealant in and around the hole....

Not ideal weather so bloody cold.... but I did leave the engine running..... to get the car warm and engine bay so hopefully it will bond seal

Car is still not dry yet..... so I guess will see if it continues to dry out... or when the rain comes gets wetter... of course... it could still be getting in else where but was deffo getting in here... so at least one stop plugged :-)

Daz 70 24th November 2016 03:02 PM

Pic

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 15157

Hole where the white patch is

HPsauce 24th November 2016 03:50 PM

Not quite sure, but is that the infamous Botang's hole?

moltuae 24th November 2016 05:25 PM

Looks like it to me.

I don't think there would be sufficient water getting through Botang's to soak the rear footwells ... would there?

I'd have expected damp front footwells at the most.

Dezzy 24th November 2016 05:37 PM

That's what I thought.
The hole you have there is indeed botangs and will benefit from sealing it up anyway.
You can hear water sloshing if the centre drains are blocked as you corner.

Daz 70 24th November 2016 07:23 PM

hole

Well centre drains are clear and I get no sounds of any sloshing of water.... both holes are clear left and right over wings.... and the I only ever seem to get water in mine... on the passenger side.

Well I've sealed this hole that clearly needed doing and will report back, once it's either dried out or carried on getting wet.

I would have got rid of the car by now... but as I've had it for 14 years.... and have to say it been my only real on-going niggle.....