A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Implication of WLTP on D5 Prices - Bargains to be had! (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14374)

paulrstaylor 7th August 2018 07:15 AM

Implication of WLTP on D5 Prices - Bargains to be had!

So I was at a local dealer last weekend, they were making a big thing about new emissions standards meaning they had a fire sale on.

Actually for most of the models the discounts were minimal, already sold all their A3 allocation and Q7's selling themselves, but the A8 seemed to be causing them some headaches as they had a lot to move of what is a low volume car.

Given the deadline they are obviously keen, so they had a pretty good deal available, with an £18K dealer deposit on a 4 year interest free finance package. £4,999 deposit and £499 per month over 4 years seems to good to be true :Confused: That is on a factory fresh NEW car!!!!!!

I'm not on commission, and sadly I don't need an A8 at the moment, but if anyone is interested the offer can be viewed here https://www.jardinemotors.co.uk/audi...ers/a8-saloon/

sarg 7th August 2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 144203)
£499 per month over 4 years seems to good to be true :Confused: That is on a factory fresh NEW car!!!!!![/url]

If you only do 5000 miles or year...

Still means you are borrowing 46k on a car that’ll be worth no more than about 38k trade soon as you drive away

paulrstaylor 7th August 2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarg (Post 144207)
If you only do 5000 miles or year...

Mileage could be changed I am sure, doubt it will make a huge difference to deal. It only really matters if you send the car back at 4 years old anyway!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarg (Post 144207)
Still means you are borrowing 46k on a car that’ll be worth no more than about 38k trade soon as you drive away

Yup, or you could clear the loan on day 1 and pay 46k cash and not borrow it a 0% APR!

It is still cheaper than a demo car, zero previous owners, spec it yourself, new car smell etc.. +++

Any way you slice it, it is a huge discount on RRP - which is likely to reflect badly on used values and undermine D4's also.

A 48 month, 6000 mile per year PCP on this late D4 would be a deposit of £2,500 and ~£493 per month!

Code:

Monthly payments        £493.24
Contract length        48 Months
Cash price        £29,782.00
Customer deposit        £2,500.00
Total amount of credit        £27,282.00
Total amount payable        £38,242.28
Representative APR        10.9%
Total interest payable        £8,460.28
Fixed rate of interest pa        10.38%
Optional final paymentThe future market value of the vehicle as predicted/estimated by the lender based on the mileage you expect to drive during the agreement. An optional payment which you have to pay if you want to own the vehicle at the end of the agreement. You must pay this amount to own the vehicle at the end of the agreement, but payment is optional. Some lenders may refer to as a ‘guaranteed minimum future value’.        £12,560.00
Option to purchase fee        £10.00

Some would rightly point out that £2,500 and £0 per month would get you a D2 - but that isn't really comparing apples with apples is it!

Used values are going to be poor, but still they reckon the 20k mile 4 year old D5 will trade for £22k - personally I am not convinced :ROFL:

sarg 7th August 2018 03:36 PM

Mileage makes a huge difference

I’m in the market for something similar, I’d bet 20k per annum would make it at least 600 per month

And why would you pay off 0% finance, that would be pointless

As for speccing it yourself, try it and see the impact that has on payments too as options add nothing at all to residual value

Wait another 3 months and you’ll be able to buy new at not much more than 40k

sarg 7th August 2018 03:39 PM

As for 10.38% APR on the used, is anyone that stupid? Shop around for finance, 6-6.5 is easily achievable, I’m getting offered 5.0 APR on cars younger than 5 years.

And if you borrow less than 25k, Sainsbury’s Bank loans are 2.9% APR

sarg 7th August 2018 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See attached

Attachment 19890

paulrstaylor 7th August 2018 05:16 PM

Three posts to say you think its a bad deal :ROFL: I shared as I thought someone may be interested, clearly you are not that someone :p

It's a PCP, not a lease - so the mileage will only make a difference to the total cost if you throw the car back after 4 years, otherwise the GFV reducing just reduces your final payment. Options will be attributed across the cost of the PCP - correct, so they will be interest free also.

As for the "is anyone that stupid" - yes they are. They sell cars like that all day long, to some people.

I took out an options PCP deal on a Q7 last week, gave me a 24 month warranty FOC at 10.9% APR - would have only cost me £8k over three years, if I hadn't withdrawn on day 1 of the term at a total cost of £8.10 (which given I have 30 days to make payment, and I keep the warranty, is not bad in my book) :ROFL:

Anyway, my original post stands - if you want to by a £69K D5, you can get one for £46k and pay over four years at no additional cost. You can also add options to the interest free loan, if you are so inclined. But no-one is forcing you Sarg.

The bigger implication for me is the impact on used values - but you don't own an A8 (and as of this week I won't either, so let's not get too stressed +++

briang9 7th August 2018 09:30 PM

Not wishing to add any more negativity to the thread... but I suspect a lot of these deals on diesels reflect the current uncertainty around the future of diesel and any possible associated additional taxes/penalties at the moment+++

paulrstaylor 7th August 2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briang9 (Post 144243)
Not wishing to add any more negativity to the thread... but I suspect a lot of these deals on diesels reflect the current uncertainty around the future of diesel and any possible associated additional taxes/penalties at the moment+++

Quite possibly +++ there are incentives across the range and fuel types, not just VAG either. Have a friend who got a great deal on a hybrid Volvo a couple of weeks back..... but this being an A8 forum, and with a discount of roughly a third of RRP I thought it maybe of interest to some.

IT 7th August 2018 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 144230)

I took out an options PCP deal on a Q7 last week, gave me a 24 month warranty FOC at 10.9% APR

I'm rather hoping (hint +++) that you might share more about this in the Q7 section. Whilst I know I'm virtually alone in my quest to make the Q7 a more popular model on this forum, I'm rather hoping you might help :-)

I bought a 2015 4.2 TDI 4l from a dealer 2 months ago. Got the same extended warranty deal. Ended up sending the car back. Twice. Eventually for a full refund. Shame. It was a good car. It was the dealer that was completely useless.