A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   A6/S6/RS6 C6 (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Shall I buy this? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5866)

Singh 12th January 2013 01:48 PM

You generally loose money in deprecation on any car, especially one like this. Deprecation is something to consider, which I have done, and I can 'hack it'. Part exchange prices are irrelevant, Adrian. Find me one like this for £25k and I'll listen to you. +++

Brian, you've got it. I'm buying a house in two years time so I am going to go mad(er) up until then, when I'm paying a mortgage, I won't be able to have cars like this. The Porsche is £50k though, so I may do that at the end of the year when I should be earning more.

Adrian E 12th January 2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 51839)
You generally loose money in deprecation on any car, especially one like this. Deprecation is something to consider, which I have done, and I can 'hack it'. Part exchange prices are irrelevant, Adrian. Find me one like this for £25k and I'll listen to you. +++

Sorry but they are relevant in setting a private sale value - if you needed to bail out of it that's where you'd need to shift it and the very nature of car sales is that your position in the food chain dictates what you can charge

I'm not suggesting its only worth £25k - simply that if the seller took it to a dealer its doubtful they'd offer the part ex values you've quoted. Ian is probably spot on and that's the point I was trying to make

It sounds like you've talked yourself into it anyway - if no amount of cautionary comment changes your view then clearly its the car for you and our job here is done

Singh 12th January 2013 02:24 PM

Initially, I thought I may have been overpaying by £3k or so then I had a look at the RS6 saloons for sale on Autotrader/Pistonheads and realised if I can get the car for £35k, it is a VERY good price, keep your opinions coming. Find me something that comes close, I dare you! And not an Avant, as I don't like them. In fact, there isn't a single RS 6 Saloon for sale with Adaptive cruise ( a must for me, I want to try it), nevermind ceramics etc...

IT 12th January 2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 51841)
In fact, there isn't a single RS 6 Saloon for sale with Adaptive cruise ( a must for me, I want to try it), nevermind ceramics etc...

Adaptive cruise is great for everyday motorway miles. It doesnt really sit on an RS6 so logically. My S4 could have it, but doesnt and it doesnt bother me. Its not the sort of car that I'd waste chewing up motorway miles.

I got in Daves W12 yesterday, and yes, it was nice to have the adaptive cruise again, but it suits the D3. It doesnt make much sense on a sports car. If you find one with it - bonus - but dont go out of your way for it and most people wont give two hoots about ACC when you come to sell it on.

With my sensible hat on, now is the better time to buy a house as prices as so low and bargains to be had. If you've got that sort of money, buying the house now, and the car later would be the 'sensible' thing to do.

I cant for one minute pretend I'd be swayed by that obvious, yet somehow unexciting prospect so crack on car buying.... +++

I went through a lengthy and expensive phase of 'must have the best car with every gadget on it'. It was great, but actually the number of people that appreciated what I owned was minimal. The resale value wasn't brilliant as no-one else was bothered. Just look at that A8/S8 that you sold to that guy that had his dog in the back and didnt care about electric seats.

Bottom line - If you're going to keep the car for years and years, and use it daily, then sure, get the best of the best. If its a fun weekend motor for the next 12 months, then its probably not worth the extra cost in the long run.

You could buy this mint RS6 for 35K, or another one for 25K. The resale value on them both when you've done could be remarkably similar.

Cant help much with where the Porsche fits in. Get whichever car is lesser performing first. Theres nothing worse than getting a new car, which is actually slower than your last one....

Save the best till last. ;)

Singh 12th January 2013 04:17 PM

The 997 Turbo will be as fast, and handle really well, and feel a lot more special. That is what I want, but for £15,000 less, I reckon I will run the C6 RS 6 for a bit, then I can say I've flirted with 740 BHP, owned a V10 and just crossed it off the list. I will probably use ACC less than 10 times in a years ownership, but I still want it. If I went 997 Turbo > C6 RS 6, I would hate the RS 6, as it would feel so heavy, clumsy and barge-like, this is why Dave didn't warm to it Adrian, he came from an R8, it was never going to work. I've called my insurance company, only an extra £200 to insure the C6, so £1,200.
At the end of the day, RS ownership is not cheap. I own my C5 outright, and have deposit for a house tucked away no matter what I loose on my cars, that will always be safe. I may get the ball rolling on this C6 guys.
I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for your input. +++

Adrian E 12th January 2013 04:51 PM

Is this a 3 owner car currently then? Presuming Dave doesn't still own it?

Singh 16th January 2013 01:20 PM

Just an update for you lot, I am putting a deposit on this car tomorrow if all goes to plan. I'm not going to worry about deprecation, but instead enjoy all 757 BHP & 966 NM of torque it puts out. The car has been detailed by a pro Swissvax approved detailer every two months, and is nothing short of brand new (a friend went to Hull and inspected it), there isn't even a stone chip on the front bumper as it was ventureshield'd up. When someone asks if I've bought the new RS 6, I'll say 'No, the V10 one'. Can't say fairer then that. Now, I wonder if the radar cruise interferes with police laser guns... :cool:

Norretal 16th January 2013 02:18 PM

Good for you Amar, enjoy it while you're able to buy such fantastic cars, it sounds superb to me and hopefully I'll get to see and hear it sometime in the near future +++

IT 16th January 2013 02:26 PM

Whilst I couldnt bring myself to buy it, I will be quite envious of you having such a high spec, modern and fast motor.

Hope i'm able to sit in the passenger side sometime, hang on, and drool a little :D

Norretal 16th January 2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 52009)
Whilst I couldnt bring myself to buy it, I will be quite envious of you having such a high spec, modern and fast motor.

Hope i'm able to sit in the passenger side sometime, hang on, and drool a little :D

I didn't want to be that "familiar" with a stranger but that's my wish also Ian....;)