A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   A6/S6/RS6 C6 (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Shall I buy this? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5866)

Singh 12th January 2013 10:03 AM

Shall I buy this?

I haven't asked this question on the RS forums, and I was dead set to buy a 997 Turbo, but the lure of 740 BHP is too strong, and this is £15k less than an approved used Porsche. It has spec that would make Ian look twice and there really isn't a C6 like it.

I slept on it last night, and it is still in my head today. I'm 50/50 and need some encouragement or discouragement.

- 740 BHP/950NM (MRC Tuned)
- Audi Exclusive Black Optics
- Audi Carbon Ceramic Brakes
- Audi Exclusive Alcantara steering wheel & gear knob
- 3G MMI 3D Sat nav with:
- BOSE (5ch surround)
- Bluetooth (privacy handset)
- DAB Radio
- Freeview TV (VIM)
- DVD Player (VIM)
- SD Cards
- 6CD
- Ipod
- Advanced Key with Keyless Go
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Memory seats
- Electric steering coloum
- High Beam Assist
- Adaptive Headlights
- F & R Heated seats
- Twin Pane UV Glass and Heat Insulating
- Electric rear window blind and manual side window blind
- Glass Sunroof
- Advanced Parking System with Reverse Cam
- Folding, Dipping Wing mirrors
- Carbon Engine Bay
- Carbon Front Splitter
- Carbon Rear Diffuser

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...pscffffdc0.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps5d566dfa.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps1dac64bd.jpg

The C6 RS 6 ceramics make the D3 S8 ceramics look like a joke. These wheels are 20'' by the way!

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...psb69b0ab0.jpg

Finally, here it is with my plus. The most perfect C5 and C6 together IMO.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...psb31e399f.png

Decisions Decisons... :rolleyes:

IT 12th January 2013 10:43 AM

Gonna depend on the price & mileage obviously.

C6 RS6's just took a hit as the C7 is taking hold now, and the new 4.0 T S6 is shoving the high performance C6 prices south.

It looks good. Interior shots would be very nice i'm sure.

I've seen a few high spec C6 RS6's lately. I've seen 2 at sub 30K with Adaptive cruise, sunroof, advanced key etc - and they wernt selling.

I think with black optics, darker colour wheels would look way better, but thats just cosmetic.

Cant comment on the Porsche, I dont know much about em technically, although socially they stick out like a sore thumb and will no doubt get you all sorts of labels from onlookers, where the RS6 is a bit more wolf in sheeps clothing - And I love that about a car.

If you dont want it, let me know... :D

P.S. Re the photo - I'm guessing thats not *your* C5 as it has the wrong interior colour doesnt it ??...

Singh 12th January 2013 11:11 AM

That is my exact C5, that's the reg it had before my private plate went on. This C6 isn't advertised, but he wants £38k. It is a late 2009 model with 49k miles. I've not really seen a C6 saloon with this spec, and the last time this car changed hands there were at least three people willing to pay £5k plus part ex their old brakes for for these ceramics!

Adrian E 12th January 2013 12:14 PM

This is Dave's old car that left him feeling rather cold, isn't it? Thought he'd moved it on already or is it with someone else now and for sale again? The original owner certainly likes his tuned toys :) watched his q7 doing standing quarter and its hilarious!

IT 12th January 2013 12:32 PM

Hmmm.

Its nice, but not convinced its 38K nice.

Prices are falling at the moment, you would lose quite a bit on it quite quickly me thinks.

Spec makes it more desirable, not necessarily worth more. The power upgrades are not difficult to do to any RS6, and the ceramics are not worth paying thousands extra for imo as when you've got them, you wont sell them seperately, and you will have to service them at very high prices.

33/34K would be my punt absolute max assuming its circa 40K miles. Its a very small market that wasnts an RS6, wants performance upgrades and values high spec, so you have to price it like a regular RS6 basically....

Consider how much yours has lost in 12 months, and double it. I dont know about you, but thats making me sit rather uncomfortable.

All yours at that sort of money... +++

Adrian E 12th January 2013 12:43 PM

Above average miles for age, saloon so rarer/less desirable depending on your point of view

I'd ask your local pet Audi dealer what they'd pay in part ex and my guess would be in the 20s. That one on srs took an age to sell and think went to one of those we buy any car outfits in the end?

If you didn't have the c5 I could see the point in ticking the ownership box but not convinced its a wise choice unless the c5 goes as you won't want to do mega miles in either!

Singh 12th January 2013 01:18 PM

I would want to pay £35,000. That's a fair price as without even taking the specification into account it is worth the following:

CAP

Clean

Part Ex = 33,900
Retail = £36,750

GAP

Part Ex = £34,750
Retail = £38,250

So, I might loose £10k in depreciation over 12 months. However, an MRC Stage 2 tune costs £5/6k on these and I wouldn't have a standard C6 RS 6 without an MRC tune, so it all adds up in my head.

Mileage being higher than average doesn't bother me eitheir as I will be doing very little miles in it (company car for that) so it will level out.

As for the ceramics, they will last 250k, I know some go wrong on D3's, but C6 ones are fine and I will force Audi to replace them under the Audi warranty it will have if they go wrong.

Singh 12th January 2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 51832)
Consider how much yours has lost in 12 months, and double it.

I already have a buyer for mine at what I paid for it 14 months and 14,000 miles ago. Although I spent £17k (not a typo) last time I added it all up in upgrading/maintaining/running last year, so selling for what I paid, doesn't mean much... :o

Adrian E 12th January 2013 01:26 PM

Those part ex values I would only use as a guide - stick these under the nose of your local friendly dealer and ask them how likely they would be to offer those values against the described car.

I know of an Avant RS6 spec'd to just over £100k that at 3 years old with average miles was being offered £25k in part ex by the supplying dealer. That was at least 6 months ago too.

Clearly they didn't want it which is one side of it - I suspect the guide prices are based on a very small sample size so I would tread carefully relying on those without some confirmation from a dealer you may use to palm if off to later

ETA - of course if you want it and don't need to justify losing a shed load of capital on it in your ownership whether you pay too much for it in the first place is a moot point. Personally I don't like to pay over the odds and on something like this there's plenty to lose

briang9 12th January 2013 01:28 PM

OK unusually for me I've taken my sensible head off, my feeling is you have lusted after a Porsche for ages, and the best time to get one is now when you are young free and single with disposable cash, it will be much harder to justify later in life and you would probably regret not doing it now. However if you plan on remaining YF&S for a while then the worlds your lobster+++

Singh 12th January 2013 01:48 PM

You generally loose money in deprecation on any car, especially one like this. Deprecation is something to consider, which I have done, and I can 'hack it'. Part exchange prices are irrelevant, Adrian. Find me one like this for £25k and I'll listen to you. +++

Brian, you've got it. I'm buying a house in two years time so I am going to go mad(er) up until then, when I'm paying a mortgage, I won't be able to have cars like this. The Porsche is £50k though, so I may do that at the end of the year when I should be earning more.

Adrian E 12th January 2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 51839)
You generally loose money in deprecation on any car, especially one like this. Deprecation is something to consider, which I have done, and I can 'hack it'. Part exchange prices are irrelevant, Adrian. Find me one like this for £25k and I'll listen to you. +++

Sorry but they are relevant in setting a private sale value - if you needed to bail out of it that's where you'd need to shift it and the very nature of car sales is that your position in the food chain dictates what you can charge

I'm not suggesting its only worth £25k - simply that if the seller took it to a dealer its doubtful they'd offer the part ex values you've quoted. Ian is probably spot on and that's the point I was trying to make

It sounds like you've talked yourself into it anyway - if no amount of cautionary comment changes your view then clearly its the car for you and our job here is done

Singh 12th January 2013 02:24 PM

Initially, I thought I may have been overpaying by £3k or so then I had a look at the RS6 saloons for sale on Autotrader/Pistonheads and realised if I can get the car for £35k, it is a VERY good price, keep your opinions coming. Find me something that comes close, I dare you! And not an Avant, as I don't like them. In fact, there isn't a single RS 6 Saloon for sale with Adaptive cruise ( a must for me, I want to try it), nevermind ceramics etc...

IT 12th January 2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 51841)
In fact, there isn't a single RS 6 Saloon for sale with Adaptive cruise ( a must for me, I want to try it), nevermind ceramics etc...

Adaptive cruise is great for everyday motorway miles. It doesnt really sit on an RS6 so logically. My S4 could have it, but doesnt and it doesnt bother me. Its not the sort of car that I'd waste chewing up motorway miles.

I got in Daves W12 yesterday, and yes, it was nice to have the adaptive cruise again, but it suits the D3. It doesnt make much sense on a sports car. If you find one with it - bonus - but dont go out of your way for it and most people wont give two hoots about ACC when you come to sell it on.

With my sensible hat on, now is the better time to buy a house as prices as so low and bargains to be had. If you've got that sort of money, buying the house now, and the car later would be the 'sensible' thing to do.

I cant for one minute pretend I'd be swayed by that obvious, yet somehow unexciting prospect so crack on car buying.... +++

I went through a lengthy and expensive phase of 'must have the best car with every gadget on it'. It was great, but actually the number of people that appreciated what I owned was minimal. The resale value wasn't brilliant as no-one else was bothered. Just look at that A8/S8 that you sold to that guy that had his dog in the back and didnt care about electric seats.

Bottom line - If you're going to keep the car for years and years, and use it daily, then sure, get the best of the best. If its a fun weekend motor for the next 12 months, then its probably not worth the extra cost in the long run.

You could buy this mint RS6 for 35K, or another one for 25K. The resale value on them both when you've done could be remarkably similar.

Cant help much with where the Porsche fits in. Get whichever car is lesser performing first. Theres nothing worse than getting a new car, which is actually slower than your last one....

Save the best till last. ;)

Singh 12th January 2013 04:17 PM

The 997 Turbo will be as fast, and handle really well, and feel a lot more special. That is what I want, but for £15,000 less, I reckon I will run the C6 RS 6 for a bit, then I can say I've flirted with 740 BHP, owned a V10 and just crossed it off the list. I will probably use ACC less than 10 times in a years ownership, but I still want it. If I went 997 Turbo > C6 RS 6, I would hate the RS 6, as it would feel so heavy, clumsy and barge-like, this is why Dave didn't warm to it Adrian, he came from an R8, it was never going to work. I've called my insurance company, only an extra £200 to insure the C6, so £1,200.
At the end of the day, RS ownership is not cheap. I own my C5 outright, and have deposit for a house tucked away no matter what I loose on my cars, that will always be safe. I may get the ball rolling on this C6 guys.
I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for your input. +++

Adrian E 12th January 2013 04:51 PM

Is this a 3 owner car currently then? Presuming Dave doesn't still own it?

Singh 16th January 2013 01:20 PM

Just an update for you lot, I am putting a deposit on this car tomorrow if all goes to plan. I'm not going to worry about deprecation, but instead enjoy all 757 BHP & 966 NM of torque it puts out. The car has been detailed by a pro Swissvax approved detailer every two months, and is nothing short of brand new (a friend went to Hull and inspected it), there isn't even a stone chip on the front bumper as it was ventureshield'd up. When someone asks if I've bought the new RS 6, I'll say 'No, the V10 one'. Can't say fairer then that. Now, I wonder if the radar cruise interferes with police laser guns... :cool:

Norretal 16th January 2013 02:18 PM

Good for you Amar, enjoy it while you're able to buy such fantastic cars, it sounds superb to me and hopefully I'll get to see and hear it sometime in the near future +++

IT 16th January 2013 02:26 PM

Whilst I couldnt bring myself to buy it, I will be quite envious of you having such a high spec, modern and fast motor.

Hope i'm able to sit in the passenger side sometime, hang on, and drool a little :D

Norretal 16th January 2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 52009)
Whilst I couldnt bring myself to buy it, I will be quite envious of you having such a high spec, modern and fast motor.

Hope i'm able to sit in the passenger side sometime, hang on, and drool a little :D

I didn't want to be that "familiar" with a stranger but that's my wish also Ian....;)

Singh 16th January 2013 03:11 PM

Thanks guys. You're all welcome to explore it, I must get to an A8 meet soon. You're right, Ian, I didn't realise how new it was, it's only three years and two months old vs my C5 at 8 years and 7months, although my C5 has pretty much identical mileage! Might hold on to this C6, depreciation only matters when you're selling.

Adrian E 16th January 2013 04:20 PM

C5 going to a new home soon or will you have a circa 1500bhp garage full for a while?!

Singh 16th January 2013 04:36 PM

C5 will be going, I spend a lot of time in the D4 now, and it means the C5 just feels dated, and cheap in comparison, if the right cheapo D2 sport comes along I'll probably snap that up, though, as the D2 feels even better straight out of the D4... so my garage will be.

Audi RS 6 V10 Saloon 757 BHP
62 Plate Citroen C4 HDI 90 BHP
Audi A8 quattro sport PF 300 BHP
Punto 90 BHP (will scrap this in the next 2-3 weeks when I can be bothered).

Saying that, I am about to hit 'Buy' on a V10 xx number plate for the RS 6, the same money which would buy me an A8.

Blimey, how many cars does one guy need!? :rolleyes:

Adrian E 16th January 2013 04:41 PM

Nice - plenty of grunt and bragging rights till the C5 does go lol

o/t but is it my imagination or has one or more posts disappeared from this thread since the weekend?

Singh 16th January 2013 04:42 PM

I deleted a post as wasn't sure of it's accuracy. :o

tintin 16th January 2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 52019)
Blimey, how many cars does one guy need!? :rolleyes:

That depends entirely on how much time you have to spend with them - the more time you have, the more cars you have time for...;). No point in having them if you can't drive them tho' :(

Singh 16th January 2013 04:54 PM

I work six days a week, and I must use my company Citroen when I travel to work. Hence, I wasn't worried about the 48k (it turns out) mileage on the C6, as it would average out, I am taking it across to Germany which will add 2k miles in April and then will try hard to do another 4k in this country. :o

Singh 16th January 2013 04:57 PM

This car was just over £93,000 three years ago! I thought it was £100k+, still, not bad going, it is £100k if you include the MRC tune and MTM carbon bits.

briang9 16th January 2013 05:02 PM

Congrats Amar+++ look forward to seeing it in the flesh:D

kal_ay 16th January 2013 05:03 PM

Congrats on the beast mate +++

Adrian E 16th January 2013 05:09 PM

Avant with that spec would've topped £100k - think there was a bit of a premium for the antique dealer spec back end?!

I do love the RS6 in that grey - it's SOOO subtle in the metal you have to know what you're looking at, unless you hear it running of course!

Singh 16th January 2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian E (Post 52029)
Avant with that spec would've topped £100k - think there was a bit of a premium for the antique dealer spec back end?!

I do love the RS6 in that grey - it's SOOO subtle in the metal you have to know what you're looking at, unless you hear it running of course!

Nope, avant was only £1,535 more. But I wouldn't buy an Avant even if it were £20k. I'd be buying the Porsche. This is the only C6 I want. I bought the best C5 RS 6 and am now doing the same with the C6. :p

IT 16th January 2013 09:26 PM

Hey Amar, can I get first in line for when you're bored of the C6 and want to move it on ? :D

I Reckon in 12 - 18 months time it'll be in my budget and one hell of a desirable piece of kit... ;)

HPsauce 16th January 2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 52045)
Hey Amar, can I get first in line for when you're bored of the C6 and want to move it on ?

And by then, *********************, you will have totally sorted out and be bored with *************. And Amar will finally be looking for ********* .... PX time? :D

Now there's a plan!

IT 16th January 2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 52046)
And by then, assuming you take it from me, you will have totally sorted out and be bored with my PF S8. And Amar will finally be looking for one.... PX time? :D

Now there's a plan!

/cloaking device on

Sssshh... That was my little secret aquisition that I *am* collecting from you .... +++

/cloaking device off

No idea what you're on about.... :D

HPsauce 16th January 2013 10:02 PM

Ian, suggest you edit your post to reflect changes to my preceding one.... :rolleyes:

IT 16th January 2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 52048)
Ian, suggest you edit your post to reflect changes to my preceding one.... :rolleyes:

Well, given that the instant you post, a raft of emails fires off to every person that ever contributed to the thread, every moderator and every admin - I'm not sure post-censorship is going to work :p

Top marks for effort though +++

IT 16th January 2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kal_ay (Post 52027)
Congrats on the beast mate +++

Never mind the thread input - Just saw your cossie is for sale. Not that it would be remotely a good idea for me, but out of pure curiosity what are they fetching these days ?

1991 would put it on an early facelift 4x4 wouldnt it ?

HPsauce 16th January 2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 52049)
Well, given that the instant you post, a raft of emails fires off to every person that ever contributed to the thread

Surely not, only if they "subscribe". ;)

IT 16th January 2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 52051)
Surely not, only if they "subscribe". ;)

You get automatically subscribed to any threads you post in, so you can see replies... makes sense really....

You have to subscribe to other forums / threads if you're not a contributor.

Me, I get spammed by everything and blimey you lot talk some rubbish :ROFL: