A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   For Sale and Wanted - Audi / VW car items (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Front suspension part needed? Not sure what it's called!!!! (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14624)

hunker7 3rd December 2018 07:18 PM

Front suspension part needed? Not sure what it's called!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
I've added a picture of the part I'm after. Don't know what it does or what its called but it's broken on passenger side.

PM if anyones got one +++

MikkiJayne 3rd December 2018 07:53 PM

Part number is 4D0412395B, just called 'brace'. A8parts listing here

hunker7 3rd December 2018 08:08 PM

Thanks for the part number, Audi parts catalogue I use didn't show it. What could cause it to fracture? :Confused:

MikkiJayne 3rd December 2018 08:38 PM

Bottoming out the suspension on big bumps (which is surprisingly easy) puts massive stress on that area. There are three failure modes - that brace snaps, it tears the top of the strut tower, or it rips the brace bracket off the chassis leg. Snapping the brace is probably the best of the three since its simple to replace.

hunker7 4th December 2018 06:56 AM

Learn something new every day. :eek2: Shouldn't the foam bump stop stop suspension from bottoming out and make it less violent?

MikkiJayne 4th December 2018 08:05 AM

It should do, but its not strong enough. Have a look here for more info.

hunker7 4th December 2018 08:14 AM

:eek::eek: I won't complain. Think Bilstein B6 is something to put on the list. :rolleyes:

ainarssems 4th December 2018 01:00 PM

Is this FL only like the strut brace? I have not noticed it on PF.

Would it be worth considering retro fitting it to PF and would it be straight forward job without drilling any holes?
I did buy strut brace long time ago but have not fitted it because it would mean drilling holes in painted body.

MikkiJayne 4th December 2018 02:02 PM

Yes, FL only I believe. I don't think the PF even has the bracket for it. Interestingly, Elsawin says there is no need to re-fit it if removed, which begs the question why they bothered in the first place? Perhaps it was to stop the strut towers tearing apart and they realised it made no difference? It seems logical that it would improve strength in that area, but then Vera's strut tower split and that had the braces.

hunker7 4th December 2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 146667)
Yes, FL only I believe. I don't think the PF even has the bracket for it. Interestingly, Elsawin says there is no need to re-fit it if removed, which begs the question why they bothered in the first place? Perhaps it was to stop the strut towers tearing apart and they realised it made no difference? It seems logical that it would improve strength in that area, but then Vera's strut tower split and that had the braces.

Does that mean I theoretically remove the brace and shouldn't make any difference?