A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   IT, AV and other Tech (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Linux distro for my dad? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10093)

mattylondon 2nd June 2015 06:49 PM

Linux distro for my dad?

Although my dad has a tablet with a separate Bluetooth keyboard he still prefers to use his old Netbook for writing letters emails etc. Trouble is it's an Intel Atom N450 with Windows 7 and it's soo slow. For £50 I've bought a cheapo SSD and an extra 1GB and I'm going to put a light weight Linux distro on there. I was thinking of Lubuntu, and not delving much myself with Linux I didn't know if this is a good choice?

moltuae 2nd June 2015 07:03 PM

I'd probably go with Linux Mint myself.

Or if you're looking for something with a more familiar windows-like interface, you could try Zorin (the 'Lite' edition is free).

mattylondon 2nd June 2015 07:11 PM

Thanks Mark for that suggestion +++

Now checking out Zorin OS

moltuae 2nd June 2015 07:47 PM

No problem.

Another option I've just remembered, that a fellow techie recently suggested, but one I'm yet to try myself, is LXLE. Apparently it's based on Lubuntu but uses the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment, since it's the choice of DE that matters more than the choice of distro when you're looking for lightweight Linux OSes.

The_Laird 3rd June 2015 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylondon (Post 94645)
Although my dad has a tablet with a separate Bluetooth keyboard he still prefers to use his old Netbook for writing letters emails etc. Trouble is it's an Intel Atom N450 with Windows 7 and it's soo slow. For £50 I've bought a cheapo SSD and an extra 1GB and I'm going to put a light weight Linux distro on there. I was thinking of Lubuntu, and not delving much myself with Linux I didn't know if this is a good choice?

I have no idea what you're talking about! :Confused:

Clearly a generation thing. :)

moltuae 3rd June 2015 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 94661)
Clearly a generation thing. :)

Nah, you're the same generation as me Jim, give or take a few years. I think it's more of a vocation/interest thing. For me it's a bit of both; I've worked and played with IT and electronics all my life (though I've only really dabbled with Linux). I've got some older customers who understand the IT they use very well and I've got some younger customers who barely understand the basics. I think, like anything else, you have to find it interesting to be able to understand and learn it.

tc4332 3rd June 2015 08:39 AM

Surprise. Surprise
Mark, I did not realisethat you were into the black art :ROFL:
I find that I am losing my skills, memory loss is my bugbear :D
Next time we meet we will have to have a more intelligent chat.

moltuae 3rd June 2015 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 94665)
Next time we meet we will have to have a more intelligent chat.

We will! :lol:

I could sit and chat about technology or science all day long.

How about quantum entanglement? .... now THAT is a fascinating subject! :D

Architex_mA8tey 3rd June 2015 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 94666)
How about quantum entanglement? .... now THAT is a fascinating subject! :D

Is that the new James Bond film? :D

moltuae 3rd June 2015 09:10 AM

:ROFL:

No Neil, but that would be a good title.