A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   House and Home DIY (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Home Automation - Heating and Hot Water (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13997)

Conan_the_Librarian 2nd April 2018 07:55 AM

Home Automation - Heating and Hot Water

I'm after recommendations.
I currently have the central heating fitted with the EQ3 Max system. Each radiator on a WiFi TRV, primary rooms have a thermostat and many doors and windows have open window detectors. All runs from an app on my phone allowing me multiple configurations (just us, 1, 2, 3 guest rooms in use etc.). What it doesn't have is a link with the boiler to switch on and off dependant on demand.
Any recommendations on a system that will control the boiler and hot water as well. It must be Alexa compatible as well. I will be selling my EQ3 Max stuff this summer and fitting the new system.

TIA.
CtL

notorious 2nd April 2018 08:17 AM

Honeywell is doing a system with radio controlled TRVs that are managed from central console or smartphone. Additional room thermostats can also be added. Central console will switch on boiler when required. No idea about Alexia though.

But IMHO Nest is the best. It has ho radio control TRVs though, but this is not needed if you have manual TRVs that you can configure and forget about. I have 3 zones in the house plus hot water. 3 Nest thermostats control 3 zone valves on s-plan system plus hot water zone valve. Each zone has its own schedule. Wired installation, but wireless is also possible. Installed everything myself. Excellent app.

Architex_mA8tey 2nd April 2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 139627)
Honeywell is doing a system with radio controlled TRVs that are managed from central console or smartphone. Additional room thermostats can also be added. Central console will switch on boiler when required. No idea about Alexia though.

But IMHO Nest is the best. It has ho radio control TRVs though, but this is not needed if you have manual TRVs that you can configure and forget about. I have 3 zones in the house plus hot water. 3 Nest thermostats control 3 zone valves on s-plan system plus hot water zone valve. Each zone has its own schedule. Wired installation, but wireless is also possible. Installed everything myself. Excellent app.

I think nest were also doing an offer where they gave you a free Amazon Echo Dot recently through British Gas, so Nest must be Alexa compatible

Conan_the_Librarian 3rd April 2018 02:24 PM

Currently looking at the Honeywell system. Thoughts?

notorious 3rd April 2018 06:54 PM

Honeywell is making great stuff

IT 6th April 2018 09:46 PM

I run a nuheat thermal store, which works brilliantly, albeit a departure from typical domestic installs.

It basically a giant hot water cyclinder, but full of central heating water.

Boiler runs on a standard thermostat to keep it topped up to temp as required. Also has inputs for green technologies, solar panels etc.

Then, your heating just draws off the hot water as required via the normal CH pumps.

HW is mains pressure, but heated on demand via coils inside the thermalstore, giving instant, endless hot water.

Much more efficient for dribbling out bits of heat here and there as the boiler only need kick in occasionally to blast things back up to temp. Designed with underfloor heating in mind, but equally useful for rads.

I bought mine second hand, installed it about 6/7 years ago now and its been great.

Conan_the_Librarian 7th April 2018 02:52 PM

How many litres does it hold. Where it it sited?

IT 10th April 2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian (Post 139863)
How many litres does it hold. Where it it sited?

Around 180 litres I think..... Mins located at the back of the garage, which has since become a utility room.

Its the size of a typical water cylinder, so not insignificant, but would remove the need for a regular hot water cylinder....

Titan 4th May 2018 04:41 PM

I was looking into the EQ3 max stuff as well. This looks like what you need.

https://www.box.co.uk/EQ-3-Max!-Boil...html#DetailTop

It seems to be missing on a lot of other sites selling the TRVs, gateways, etc though which seems strange and if you search the box website for EQ-3, it doesn't appear! Would be good to know if this works. I don't see why not though. Hopefully save you swapping everything out as I like the look of the system.

My friend has the Honeywell EVO stuff fitted and it's very good although I find the valve heads a bit bulky (but then again, it's next to an ugly radiator so.....)

Conan_the_Librarian 4th May 2018 06:48 PM

That is indeed what I need but no one has one!
I tried the manufacturer but they didn't reply to my email. I phoned Conrad and they couldn't get one!