A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   A6/S6/RS6 C6 (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   A6 3.0 TDI [233] S Line Quattro (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3234)

sarg 29th June 2011 11:26 PM

A6 3.0 TDI [233] S Line Quattro

Guys, my A8 left home today, she has gone to live in Poland so unlikely to be seen on these shores again :(

Anyway, not having had any success with TDI 8s, I went to look at this today:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p

Does anyone know much about these, should I expect any gearbox problems for example, and who should I take it to for chipping and detailing?

No photos at the moment, but it is dark grey (Daytona Grey perhaps) with black leather interior, plenty of kit including a DVB TV tuner, but no electric seats, no front parking sensors, no Bose, and the standard S Line wheels are a bit weedy for my taste.

But, she is a one private owner full historied car, she's cheap compared to others on the market right now, has obviously been cared for and drove very well.

Last thing, anyone know a good source for parts etc, and an A6 forum?

sarg 29th June 2011 11:28 PM

I did also spot this when I was having another look tonight

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...26dy?logcode=p

Not keen on the grey interiors, and it is fairly basic spec, but I love these in black and love the wheels too, even if they are not standard A8 fare

IT 29th June 2011 11:33 PM

Looks nice, lot of money for an A6 though, and a 5 year old one at that - You'd be able to get a 3.0 Tdi A8 for that sort of money, surely, even if it has a few more miles on it ?

Lack of Bose would annoy me, and its a real bind to retrofit. Leccy seats I can live without as i'm the only one that drives my car, and its usually faster (but less cool) to shift seats manually anyway !

a8parts are actively moving into the C6 market, so if you had one of these, spares wouldnt be far away - They've been doing the C5 for years now, along with the D3....

IT 29th June 2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarg (Post 24135)
I did also spot this when I was having another look tonight

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...26dy?logcode=p

Not keen on the grey interiors, and it is fairly basic spec, but I love these in black and love the wheels too, even if they are not standard A8 fare

Thats more like it, but no keyless go which is annoying, especially as someone wasted £300 on the alluminum pack instead...!

Nice colour and wheels though, and infinitely better and classier than the A6 imo... +++

sarg 29th June 2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 24136)
Looks nice, lot of money for an A6 though, and a 5 year old one at that - You'd be able to get a 3.0 Tdi A8 for that sort of money, surely, even if it has a few more miles on it ?

Lack of Bose would annoy me, and its a real bind to retrofit. Leccy seats I can live without as i'm the only one that drives my car, and its usually faster (but less cool) to shift seats manually anyway !

a8parts are actively moving into the C6 market, so if you had one of these, spares wouldnt be far away - They've been doing the C5 for years now, along with the D3....

Ian, if you've seen a better A6 3.0 TDI for less money, then please do point me in the right direction, I have scoured autotrader, audi.co.uk, pistonheads and ebay and this is the cheapest sub-60k 06 plate in the country, and anything even close to this price is definitely not a one previous meticulous retired owner, which is evident looking around the car.

I imagined retrofit Bose would not be a big deal, so I stand corrected on that one, but surely can't be too difficult to simply swap out just the speakers for better ones?

Good to know on the parts, will almost certainly be on the market for the wooden centre console thingy that surrounds the gear selector, as this has a scratch in it, though it might polish out, and eventually a set of 19"s

sarg 29th June 2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 24137)
Thats more like it, but no keyless go which is annoying, especially as someone wasted £300 on the alluminum pack instead...!

I lived without keyless go for over 40 years, I ain't gonna miss it - can't miss what you never had

IT 30th June 2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarg (Post 24139)
Ian, if you've seen a better A6 3.0 TDI for less money, then please do point me in the right direction, I have scoured autotrader, audi.co.uk, pistonheads and ebay and this is the cheapest sub-60k 06 plate in the country, and anything even close to this price is definitely not a one previous meticulous retired owner, which is evident looking around the car.

I imagined retrofit Bose would not be a big deal, so I stand corrected on that one, but surely can't be too difficult to simply swap out just the speakers for better ones?

Good to know on the parts, will almost certainly be on the market for the wooden centre console thingy that surrounds the gear selector, as this has a scratch in it, though it might polish out, and eventually a set of 19"s

Sorry, I phrased my reply very poorly - I meant its a lot of money, full stop. And you only end up with an A6. You can get an A8 for that kind on money and have a way better spec. You are right, Diesel A6's and A4's hold their value very very well, and I gave up trying to find one at sensible money, and that one is probably not a bad example if you want to spend that much dosh and 'only' end up with an A6.... +++

Having evaluated all my options, I popped my 4.2 petrol through its MOT early on Tuesday, which it passed easily, and now I'm actively looking to lpg convert as soon as practically possible. I found on the way back from London last Weds evening that if I stick the cruise control on at 70 mph, and sit back for 3 hours straight, it comes out at 29.5mpg, which was quite reasonable.

Knock off around 10% power loss for LPG on the MPG, then factor in circa 71p / litre and it comes down to a very reasonable 12.14 pence per mile to run, which by my math is pretty much exactly the same as that tdi a6 would cost to run, but sounds far nicer +++

It would cost me circa 5K to 'upgrade' to a diesel a4 / a6. It'll cost less than half that to convert to gas.

Leaves me a couple of grand for other upgrades :D:D:D

IT 30th June 2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarg (Post 24140)
I lived without keyless go for over 40 years, I ain't gonna miss it - can't miss what you never had

True....

sarg 30th June 2011 12:56 PM

Can anyone tell me anything about what to look for on the 3.0 TDI (A6/A8) and any info on gearbox longevity?

For example, this A6 has covered 54,000 miles, I doubt it's ever had a gearbox service, so should I leave it be, or get the oil/filter/gasket renewed ASAP?

IT 30th June 2011 01:02 PM

Genuinely, dont know. The D3 6 speed box seems far better than the D2 5 speed, one, and it follows that perhaps the C6 will also be better.

I'm seeing a constant string of people who have had their gearbox serviced, and for whatever reason its gone wrong. Theres another guy on TSN this week just had his perfectly working box get trashed after a service....

I'm more tempted now than ever to leave the gearbox well alone if its working ok... The risk of it going wrong seems to well outweigh the possibly slight gain in longevity....

I was looking only at manuals A4/A6's though to eliminate this problem altogether tbh... +++