A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Bumper Foglight Grills (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4378)

David's8 12th March 2012 08:51 AM

Bumper Foglight Grills

Can someone tell me if the pre-facelift bumper grills (around the foglights):-( are the same on an 1996 A8 as a FL 2002 S8?

Much appreciated - i seem to have mislaid one of mine on the M74/M6 / M40/A34 - so i didnt go back to look for it. :-(

Adrian E 12th March 2012 09:13 AM

I'll have a look on etka later when I get home unless someone answers before :)

HPsauce 12th March 2012 09:28 AM

If you just mean the plug-in grille section then surely PF that's just a single-piece ventilation grille and post-facelift it's a foglight mounting....

Or am I missing something in the question? :Confused:

David's8 12th March 2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 36158)
If you just mean the plug-in grille section then surely PF that's just a single-piece ventilation grille and post-facelift it's a foglight mounting....

Or am I missing something in the question? :Confused:

I think you have probably answered the question - if I understand correctly, the PF were just a grill with no foglight and post FL it incorporated a hole for the foglight? is that correct?

HPsauce 12th March 2012 10:36 AM

The PF foglights are inside the headlight cluster.

The side grilles in the lower bumper are just single plastic mouldings that pop out - I should know I've caught the bumper on low kerbs more than once and had to put them back. :-(

david@a8parts 12th March 2012 11:28 AM

Pre Facelift cars had lower bumper grills but no foglights as you say -foglights were built into the headlight unit.
Early Facelift cars had two piece fog light grills - a rectangular grill and a triangular piece that fitted around the fog lamp itself
Later facelift cars (2001>) had a one piece grill and foglight surround

None of them are interchangable either...

Hope that helps!

Adrian E 12th March 2012 11:43 AM

The parts you want for a 2002 S8 are:

4d0 853 684 K - right (drivers IIRC) side
4d0 853 683 K - left side

They're 40 quid + VAT, or thereabouts new.....

David's8 12th March 2012 01:44 PM

Many thanks to all - its quite clear now. Great info. The opportunity I thought I saw to get a replacement from the guy breaking his PF A8 up in Linlithgow just near me has evaporated :(

adjuster 23rd March 2012 07:55 PM

To keep my 2001 fog light grilles in place, someone has added two small drywall screws along the top edge to both. (This will not allow them to fall out, even if they pop out of the mounts.)

But, with the screws there, they don't pop out, even if the lower front cover flexes when it scrapes the ground.

It's a nice mod, I was going to zip tie them in place, but the screws seem to work good, and were already there. They are gold zinc plated, so have not corroded much either.

David's8 23rd March 2012 08:00 PM

Thanks for the tip. I was going to use tie wraps but there is not much to secure to. That is, when I get a replacement grill!