A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Transmission (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   5HP24a Torsen Unit (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7483)

Mugzee 17th January 2014 06:49 PM

5HP24a Torsen Unit

I don't suppose anyone knows if it's possible to replace the Torsen Unit/rear axle output independently of the transmission, whilst still in situ on the car?

yrk2.7t 23rd February 2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugzee (Post 66790)
I don't suppose anyone knows if it's possible to replace the Torsen Unit/rear axle output independently of the transmission, whilst still in situ on the car?

You should be able to but you'll probably loose some ATF fluid.

The rear torsen bolts into the back of the trans.

You loose the fluid in the torsen unit as well.

Can't say I've ever heard of one going bad though what symptoms are you having?

Maybe time for a fluid change?

Mugzee 23rd February 2014 11:37 AM

I have changed the fluid and filter. Had a few issues with the incorrect filter being supplied but all is fine now.

The only thing is a bit of gear lash/shock to the drive train when I go from R to D and vice versa while stationary. The torque support mount at the front of the engine has failed (on my to-do list) which is a contributing factor to play.

Just wondering what an acceptable amount of rotational play in the prop-shaft is and if there is a problem with any of the diffs, if it's possible to replace them while the transmission is in the car? Obviously couldn't change the front diff as it's in the transmission but the Torsen unit and the rear diff could be.

yrk2.7t 23rd February 2014 11:08 PM

The torsen unit has it's own fluid and is seperate from the trans fluid.

Maybe change that first.

There is a slight amount of play which is the backlash of the gears which is somewhat common.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugzee (Post 69138)
I have changed the fluid and filter. Had a few issues with the incorrect filter being supplied but all is fine now.

The only thing is a bit of gear lash/shock to the drive train when I go from R to D and vice versa while stationary. The torque support mount at the front of the engine has failed (on my to-do list) which is a contributing factor to play.

Just wondering what an acceptable amount of rotational play in the prop-shaft is and if there is a problem with any of the diffs, if it's possible to replace them while the transmission is in the car? Obviously couldn't change the front diff as it's in the transmission but the Torsen unit and the rear diff could be.

Mugzee 24th February 2014 05:51 AM

Thank you. Yes, changing the gear oil/topping up the levels is also on my to-do list :)

I need to experience a few other D2's to be able to make a comparison.

yrk2.7t 25th February 2014 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugzee (Post 69193)
Thank you. Yes, changing the gear oil/topping up the levels is also on my to-do list :)

I need to experience a few other D2's to be able to make a comparison.

Nice :)

The front dif built into the trans also has it's own reservoir :)

Maybe change it, the torsen, and the rear at the same time.

Mugzee 25th February 2014 06:32 AM

Is there actually a drain plug on the front diff? It is evident that there are drain plugs on the Torsen and the rear diff but not the front.

Dezzy 25th February 2014 08:40 AM

Don't think there is a drain for the final drive unit just a filler, in front the driveshaft.

Mugzee 25th February 2014 09:45 AM

Looking at the ZF parts catalogue it doesn't seem as if there is one.

I'll top it up then. :)

yrk2.7t 26th February 2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugzee (Post 69256)
Looking at the ZF parts catalogue it doesn't seem as if there is one.

I'll top it up then. :)

Good catch there is not :)

You have to loosen the bolts on the one side where the diff is located and then without letting the front diff fall out pop the bottom of the cover out so the fluid can drain out.

Or I suppose you could also try to suction it out of the fill plug.

I like method #1