A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   A8 / S8 Generic Posts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Milltek backbox 20 people needed :) (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13089)

RS6 9th June 2017 11:59 AM

Milltek backbox 20 people needed :)

Emailed milltek last night asking if they could or would be able to reproduce a milltek backbox again for the audi a8/s8 d2 as they are no longer in production interestingly they came back with this answer.

Hi

Thank you for your enquiry.

As stated we have now discontinued this system and we wouldn’t be able to produce a single or couple of systems as the cost to swap the production lines over for a small quantity is too high.

We still have the jigs and are able to produce them but we wouldn’t look to produce in quantities less than 20.

Kind regards

Milltek Sport Ltd

RS6 9th June 2017 11:59 AM

Still can't see it happening tbh... but good to get a reply. +++

barzya8 9th June 2017 01:36 PM

Did they quote a price for each unit or a total price for all 20 units ??:cool:

RS6 9th June 2017 01:55 PM

No further information on individual unit prices, can enquire if interested?

MikkiJayne 9th June 2017 02:07 PM

Just straight-pipe the back box. Neil's 3.7 sounds gorgeous +++

I'm going to do it to mine as soon as it stops being broken - I'll document what I do, and make jigs so I can repeat it :)

David's8 9th June 2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 128919)

I'm going to do it to mine as soon as it stops being broken - I'll document what I do, and make jigs so I can repeat it :)

Now THAT I would be interested in! +++

steamship 9th June 2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

True, and not bad for a 3.7 ;)

I've been threatening to do mine as well, but I need to sort out the whining noise first.

HPsauce 9th June 2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 128921)
I need to sort out the whining noise first.

You should stop giving lifts to those Northern Irish politicians..... :tuttut:

steamship 9th June 2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpsauce (Post 128922)
you should stop giving lifts to those northern irish politicians..... :tuttut:

:rofl:

Ameiseuk 10th June 2017 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 128922)
You should stop giving lifts to those Northern Irish politicians..... :tuttut:

LOL, as my dad always says when the unusual hapoens (especially with politics) "may you live in interesting times"

Meanwhile, back on topic..... straight through back box sounds like an interesting project. Theres an exhaust place near us who do all sorts of interesting work, might see if they would be up for this

Architex_mA8tey 10th June 2017 03:03 PM

Original threads on what Michael did and I then procured from him are -
HERE and also HERE +++

steamship 10th June 2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ameiseuk (Post 128936)
straight through back box sounds like an interesting project.

Probably one of the best mods on a V8. The straight pipe just unleashes that V8 burble on startup and idle, and when you put your foot down... glorious sound!

I was quoted £80 from someone who does it locally.

Ameiseuk 11th June 2017 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 128949)
Probably one of the best mods on a V8. The straight pipe just unleashes that V8 burble on startup and idle, and when you put your foot down... glorious sound!

I was quoted £80 from someone who does it locally.

.....Has anyone cut open the back box, gutted the gubbins and run 2 straight pipes through. Keeps the OEM look, no issues with MOT and more burble?

YorkshireBloke 11th June 2017 06:55 PM

Are we counting the 20 interested folks or what?

If I know the cost I would commit.

Being committed is what I is good at... M.

Robert

I am a daisy 20th June 2017 01:56 PM

I got a back box from our forum sponsors a while ago so I could gut the internals. So far I've removed the top of the silencer casing to see whats inside and how to re-pipe it inside, sorry dont have pics yet, but theres only 2 pipes need cutting/replacing in there, one pipe looks easy enough to replace but the second pipe looks a bit more involved because of the angles/routing of the second pipe as inside the silencer itself is just pipes and baffle plates which need to be removed before I can install new pipes in there. Hopefully pictures to follow but please dont hold your breathe as the weather has been so good I've been spending most of my free time out on my bike lol!

27litres 26th June 2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

By straight pipe, do you mean a straight through style muffler (so a straight perforated pipe with sound deadening still in the box)?
Or straight solid pipes replacing the muffler?

I had a straight through cat back system on my old V8 Commodore. Single system 2.5" straight through muffler and resonator.
Sounded bloody fantastic and I'd love to repeat the experience with the S8.

The S8 is a single pipe between the two boxes yes? Is it 63mm (ie: 2.5")?
It would be quite easy to get an exhaust place to make up a straight through resonator with off the shelf piping and box.
So long as there's a resonator there, it shouldn't fail MOT there should it?

steamship 26th June 2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 27litres (Post 129595)
By straight pipe, do you mean a straight through style muffler (so a straight perforated pipe with sound deadening still in the box)?
Or straight solid pipes replacing the muffler?

Check out the photos in this post that Neil linked to above:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....42&postcount=1

It shows exactly what was done.

Goran 26th June 2017 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ameiseuk (Post 128987)
.....Has anyone cut open the back box, gutted the gubbins and run 2 straight pipes through. Keeps the OEM look, no issues with MOT and more burble?

Tennohund from A8freunde did this and welded up the back box back up. I believe he did the same thing to the middle box. He had several youtubes and the sound was really good (to my ear anyway). Unfortunately he removed most of the clips. Actually one clip still remains, found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmTBmFLsGUY&t=22s

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1498472600

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/spor...55.html?page=3

27litres 26th June 2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 27litres (Post 129595)
The S8 is a single pipe between the two boxes yes? Is it 63mm (ie: 2.5")?

Two 55mm pipes...
Really should pay more attention when I'm climbing around under it on the hoist!

MikkiJayne 26th June 2017 01:39 PM

Straight pipe as in two parallel pipes from the middle box to the tailpipes, Just like Neil's although I'll make the join in the straight section. Its perfectly MoT friendly - as long as its not leaking or ear-bleedingly loud they don't care what boxes go where. That would be important in Germany though as TÜV does care that the stock exhaust is still intact (unless you have paperwork for a certified aftermarket system) so Tennohund's mod makes sense in that context.

55mm stainless is a pain to get hold of and has to come from Germany as everything in the UK is imperial sizes. A4 TDI exhausts are 55mm though so I may just cut one of those up and re-use that to make the join and then weld that to some standard 57mm stainless. Tailpipe choice is the next thing to figure out, as the S8's stock tip is a bit weedy by modern standards. I'm thinking a couple of 75mm black chrome Q5 tailpipes might look quite nice instead :)

Goran 26th June 2017 04:42 PM

I was sure the S8 pipes are 61mm OD? I measured them a few times

Ameiseuk 26th June 2017 09:20 PM

.....following this with interest.

My last car was a Nissan Skyline 350GT (4-door 350z for want of a better description) with a 3.5 v6.
It sounded more purposeful than the S8 does - kinda miss the burble.

Trying to see if I can get some of that burble back without being too noisy

tintin 26th June 2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS6 (Post 128910)
Emailed milltek last night asking if they could or would be able to reproduce a milltek backbox again for the audi a8/s8 d2 as they are no longer in production interestingly they came back with this answer.

Hi

Thank you for your enquiry.

As stated we have now discontinued this system and we wouldn’t be able to produce a single or couple of systems as the cost to swap the production lines over for a small quantity is too high.

We still have the jigs and are able to produce them but we wouldn’t look to produce in quantities less than 20.

Kind regards

Milltek Sport Ltd

Realistically, this isn't going to happen, for the following reasons:

(1) You'd need 20 firm commitments from active D2 owners on here - assuming you're not also enlisting significant numbers of additional D2 owners elsewhere... :D

(2) Of a total of around 110 (optimistically..) active members listed on here, at a rough guess no more than 60 of those are D2 owners.

(3) To reach your total therefore, one third of those would need to:

a) Be interested,
b) Be currently (or in the near future...) needing a replacement,
c) Have the spare funds available to spare for this - including an up-front deposit that Milltek would probably ask for,
d) Be willing to commit to payment of this.

There's virtually no chance of this happening, so I think this idea is a non-starter.

I think a far better option is to do one of the following:

(a) Wait for a "spare' used Milltek to come free - unlikely, but still more likely than this plan...
(b) Get someone else to custom make one - likely to be far cheaper, and more tailored to individual needs,
(c) Use Amar's front-end approach to get a similar sonic fix.

I'll go for (a) or (b), and some of the posts on here probably reflect the reality of doing this as well, from what I've seen ;)

notorious 27th June 2017 05:55 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8abHWiETPvs&t=8s

I'm not custom exhaust fan, but here is a guy in Germany who will do custom exhaust for 550 euro installed. He is on German A8 D2 forums and on Facebook.

MikkiJayne 27th June 2017 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goran (Post 129626)
I was sure the S8 pipes are 61mm OD? I measured them a few times

Downpipes are ~60, after the middle box they reduce to 55.

Goran 27th June 2017 10:40 AM

They reduce! hmm that sounds a bit restrictive. Maybe it doesn't matter after that chambered middle box.
I must have measured them before that box, I think I measured somewhere in the middle when the exhaust was off the car.

I agree with Tintin, is Milltek all that? I bet there are custom fabricators out there who can do a much better job.

27litres 30th June 2017 12:07 AM

Supersprint still do one, but they want stupid money for it (~US$850 !!).

They also offer a centre box for a full cat-back job.

I've sent off a query with a performance exhaust mob near me to see what they will charge.
You should be able to flare 2.25" (57mm) OD pipes to fit over the 55mm pipes quite easy, so using a 2.25" twin straight through muffler (can't do straight pipes here) should reduce costs...

Goran 30th June 2017 09:04 AM

If you are going to ditch the middle box, I would stick with the 61mm pipes as before the mid box. No point reducing the diameter if you are doing straight through mufflers?
The stock diameter before the cats, and after the cats is 61mm or 61.5mm

27litres 30th June 2017 10:08 AM

I'll keep the centre box.
Aussie (or should I say Victorian) roadworthiness requirements mean I need to keep two mufflers.
They only do random checks on noise and condition (no yearly MOT), but it's a risk I'm not bothered with, as I suspect I'll get the noise I'm chasing with a new back box.

RS6 6th July 2017 09:45 PM

its a shame but a good bit of info on here, i'll get a complete custom exhaust system made up with sports cats, x pipe etc, round about nov time need more noise +++