A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   More footwell mystery (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14003)

carl81 3rd April 2018 04:53 PM

More footwell mystery

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Please see attached photo for a strange water ingress issue on my D2 S8. It is almost like it is coming up from the floor. This is the drivers side, rear footwell.

I'm 99% sure it is rain water that is getting in. I've been out of the country so the car hasn't been used in 2 weeks and seems to be worse than when i noticed some slight dampness just before I left. So the car has been stood and it appears to have got worse.

I thought maybe it was the classic heater system / aircon blowing water in but you can also see by the picture that under the seat and around rear blowers are dry. I've tried the aircon on full and went for a small drive, no sloshing or water coming out of the vents.

I did unblock the sunroof drains last year and there is no water around my headlining. So assuming it is rain water any idea how and where this is coming in from?

Thanks again.

HPsauce 3rd April 2018 04:59 PM

Have you taken the front carpets up and looked under there too?
The air ducts run under the carpets to the rear and the joints between sections are far from airtight, so it's easy for water introduced at the front to find its way to the rear carpets.
Been there, got the t-shirt. More than once. :tuttut:

carl81 3rd April 2018 05:53 PM

Yep it’s wet under the front carpet around the air duct. What does that suggest? Blocked drain?

HPsauce 3rd April 2018 06:06 PM

Blocked orange drain(s) and/or scuttle drains.

carl81 3rd April 2018 06:31 PM

Awesome thanks again. Orange drains look self explanatory. Still a bit confused as to the trick with the scuttle drains. Is that the trick with the copper pipe?

HPsauce 3rd April 2018 09:03 PM

Get a bright torch out and have a look at them; if they look clear pour some water in and check it runs out quickly.
If not I've cleared them with various methods, though a flexible plastic tube works for me, not having thin copper pipe.

carl81 4th April 2018 06:56 PM

So I’ve just stuck some strimmer wire up the scuttle drains by accessing through the wheel arch. Plenty of water gushed out!

steamship 5th April 2018 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carl81 (Post 139757)
So I’ve just stuck some strimmer wire up the scuttle drains by accessing through the wheel arch. Plenty of water gushed out!

Sounds promising for this being the likely culprit. You should also clear out the central drainage point, which is directly under the climate unit. This is the one with the copper pipe treatment. The final job will then be to eliminate the entry point into the car itself, which has the affectionate name of 'Botangs hole'. It's best to search for it, so you can view several photos of where exactly it is, and also what others have used to seal it.

carl81 6th April 2018 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rain forecast all weekend. Hopefully this will buy me some time:o

carl81 15th April 2018 07:49 AM

Did my orange drains this weekend. They were totally clear as far as I could tell. Blowing in them there was no resistance and pushing fresh water down there I saw water freely coming out of the car from underneath. Regarding the central drain under the blower I still haven’t got the knack. Has anyone tried clearing them from underneath the car?