A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Wheels and Tyres (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Will This Combo of Rim and Tyre Work? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10739)

steamship 27th October 2015 07:06 PM

Will This Combo of Rim and Tyre Work?

1 Attachment(s)
Looking at the possibility of buying a set of 18 inch 9 spoke rims with tyres, and since I'm on a very tight budget, I'd like to know if the ones I've found will fit without any issues, as I can't really afford to have to buy new tyres for them.

The rims are a set of genuine Final Edition 18" 9 spoke (4D0 601 025 AH), 8J x 18 H2, ET43, and the tyres are 235/40x18. The attached image is what the 'willtheyfit' site gives me in comparison to my standard wheels. Now, apart from the speedo reading slightly higher, would these be okay, apart from the issue of if needing to use the spare?

oldnick 28th October 2015 10:40 AM

your ....will they fit ....site is almost certainly wrong , presuming your current fitment is OE ...are you sure of that ?

the point is that all speedo's as fitted over read speed , for legal reasons it is important to vehicle manufacturers to ensure that you are never travelling at a higher speed than the speedo indicates ; so the speedo's fitted normally read 5-7% high [ used to be called a grade B speedo ], if a slightly bigger tyre than normal RR wise is fitted it will still over read a little

you, on the other hand , are thinking of fitting a tyre with a smaller RR so it will be 10% or more over reading ; if you are happy with that and it's effect on your fuel consumption shouldn't be a problem ...what the ride will be like on a tyre with a 40% aspect ratio tyre I couldn't say , if I had to guess at the OE size on these wheels I would have said 245 45 18

ainarssems 28th October 2015 11:43 AM

They will look rather small on 8, they are the size you would use on A4 or A6. Your speedo reading will be out by larger amount, with stock tyre when speedo says 80 you are doing about 74-75mph in reality with these tyres it will be around 70 when it shows 80. You will loose 17mm ride hight, get a little more stability around the corners, gain a little in acceleration and loose a bit in economy. I would either look for another wheels or budget for another set of tyres, you can always sell the tyres that are on the wheels at the moment to recoup some of the costs. Like oldnick says OEM tyre size on 18" wheels for D2 A8 is 245/45R18

47p2 28th October 2015 11:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Different website different results

ainarssems 28th October 2015 12:02 PM

Different results because you put in 45 profile not 40 on replacement tyres

47p2 28th October 2015 12:12 PM

Changed that and still different results :Confused:

steamship 28th October 2015 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldnick (Post 101478)
your ....will they fit ....site is almost certainly wrong , presuming your current fitment is OE ...are you sure of that ?

Current setup is definite as I checked the spare for details, as it's never been used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 101485)
They will look rather small on 8, they are the size you would use on A4 or A6.

Seller said they came off an A6, so that would explain that.

Quote:

I would either look for another wheels or budget for another set of tyres, you can always sell the tyres that are on the wheels at the moment to recoup some of the costs.

Something I had thought about, but ultimately adds to the cost. Since the tyres are all the same and with only a few thousand miles on them, they may be easier to sell on, but it will all depend on what I can get the set for. There will always be others available.

Quote:

You will loose 17mm ride hight, get a little more stability around the corners, gain a little in acceleration and loose a bit in economy.

Never realised how much a different tyre affected a car. Learn something new every day.

steamship 30th October 2015 09:35 PM

Just an update on these. They sold for £190, which is more than I have in the bank, so will just have to wait. At least now I know exactly what I should be looking for with regards to rims and tyres.