A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Rear cigarette lighter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15871)

The_Laird 10th September 2020 04:26 PM

Rear cigarette lighter

My rear cigarette lighter, that I use with a USB adaptor to charge my phone, has stopped working. The fuse is OK. Any ideas where I might start to fix this?

MikkiJayne 10th September 2020 04:35 PM

Are the rear windows switched off in the driver's door?

The_Laird 10th September 2020 05:16 PM

Just going to check .......

The_Laird 10th September 2020 05:23 PM

....OK, how stupid do I feel? :o

Thanks Michaela. +++

MikkiJayne 10th September 2020 05:42 PM

I didn't know either until someone mentioned it on here :)

Thats a special Easter egg only for those who have read the owner's manual :D

steamship 10th September 2020 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 159747)
Thats a special Easter egg only for those who have read the owner's manual :D

On the D3 it would also disable the rear a/c controls, but appears to be no Easter egg on the newer cars as you have to disable it from within the MMI, and even then it's only temporary :Confused:. Came across it when trying to resolve the issue on a '15 A6 for someone.

moltuae 10th September 2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 159747)
I didn't know either until someone mentioned it on here :)

You can all thank this someone later ;)

It's something I learned early on in my 8 ownership (probably accidentally, I can't remember) which I found quite useful for remotely switching on/off phone chargers and other accessories.

MikkiJayne 10th September 2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 159751)
You can all thank this someone later ;)

It's something I learned early on in my 8 ownership (probably accidentally, I can't remember) which I found quite useful for remotely switching on/off phone chargers and other accessories.

Thank you +++ I use it for the same :)

HPsauce 10th September 2020 10:07 PM

I also found it many years ago; when Jim raised the question my brain said "I know the answer to that, it's really weird" but it didn't surface until a few minutes later, by which time MJs younger and more agile neurons had beaten me to it! :D

johnny_quattro 11th September 2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 159742)
Are the rear windows switched off in the driver's door?

Used to use this feature quite regularly when Hannah (my friend's daughter) was in the back, playing around with the windows and any buttons to hand, including the unique A8L button to move the front passenger seat forward. It was admittedly quite funny to experience her mum's reaction in the front seat when it started moving "all on its own!". Not much used nowadays as she's now 23 and all grown up. Still use the button to control power to a USB jobby powering my car phone that sits under the two fat armrests.