A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Lowering a "non" Sport (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1105)

A8, mate! 28th July 2009 08:54 PM

Lowering a "non" Sport

One of the first things I plan on doing to my 4.2 is to lower it. I don't want it silly low, just lower than it is. The rear in particular on the non Sport car seems to ride rather high.

But what options have I got? I don't want to spend loads of money, but I'd like to do it right.

The obvious options seem to be a simple set of lowering springs (such as Eibach?) or perhaps fitting some second hand kit off a Sport or an S8.

Which is best, easiest etc? Are there any other options?

Thanks,

Adam

Oli18 28th July 2009 10:30 PM

Hi Adam,

My 4.2 was a Quattro non-sport. I had A8 parts put the Sport springs on and put in the sports seats as i had them in my previous 8.

If you're happy with the 'sport' look then I'd suggest staying with OEM parts like this.

Any lower, and you're probably after a set of after market parts.

Good luck with it +++

-Oli

AndrewGray 29th July 2009 07:54 AM

Coilovers is the next move.
I'm running FK Coilovers and will soon be moving to air-ride.

I'll have my coilovers up for sale but I don't see it happening for another 4-5 months +++

A8, mate! 29th July 2009 08:13 AM

Oli18 - just springs yeah? Shocks are the same are they?

Did you have rear bench done too?

Singh 29th July 2009 09:27 AM

Hi Adam, yeah the back seats are diffrent on the sport too.

Conan_the_Librarian 29th July 2009 02:41 PM

Hey A8, Mate so you are clear here are you options:

From non sport A8 you can fit sport suspension. User both springs and dampers, the reason will become clear in a moment.

You could fit a full S8 set up for 40mm of drop,

You can fit lowering springs, but be advised that with just springs your dampers are working out of their normal range and may fail earlier.

Finally there is a full after market set up which gives all the best options as they are generally adjustable at the front and some at the back to. Beware of the cheaper end of the market as the rebound is only adjustable off the car.

For immediate effect I would go the S8 replacement route as springs are 40mm lower and damper 40% uprated; and a full set is available at A8Parts! +++

HTH

A8, mate! 11th September 2009 08:37 AM

Ok, so I bought the full S8 setup from A8parts, but it seems its a pretty serious job getting it fitted?? I have been quoted £300 by a company called 4 rings. They have allowed FIVE HOURS to fit it all.

Steep? Seems it to me, but I really have no idea.

CliveH 11th September 2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A8, mate! (Post 7254)
Ok, so I bought the full S8 setup from A8parts, but it seems its a pretty serious job getting it fitted?? I have been quoted £300 by a company called 4 rings. They have allowed FIVE HOURS to fit it all.

Steep? Seems it to me, but I really have no idea.

where are you based Mate?

Conan_the_Librarian 11th September 2009 04:30 PM

5 Hours! What tosh. As long as you have a set of spring compressors 3 hours tops. With air tools maybe 2.........

A8, mate! 11th September 2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CliveH (Post 7262)
where are you based Mate?

Bromley, Kent. My local mobile mechanic is doing it Tuesday for £160. That's a bit more like it.