A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D4 - Wheels and Tyres (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Do I need to replace all 4 tyres? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13891)

Markr 1st March 2018 09:10 PM

Big Al,

How much difference are you seeing in wear between front and rear, as mine are all wearing very evenly, both back to front and left to right - and have done so on all 3 of my 8’s. I have always replaced in 4’s because they all needed it at the same time.

Cheers
Mark

BigAl5 2nd March 2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markr (Post 138487)
Big Al,

How much difference are you seeing in wear between front and rear, as mine are all wearing very evenly, both back to front and left to right - and have done so on all 3 of my 8’s. I have always replaced in 4’s because they all needed it at the same time.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark, Seens there’s about 2mm difference, front to back but as I’ve only recently purchased the car I have no idea how the previous owner dealt with tyre rotation etc.

Johnmed 2nd March 2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl5 (Post 138504)
Hi Mark, Seens there’s about 2mm difference, front to back but as I’ve only recently purchased the car I have no idea how the previous owner dealt with tyre rotation etc.

This seems in line with the wear I’ve had on my D3.

tc4332 2nd March 2018 10:20 PM

I can't honestly comment on this becasuse some nasty *******s keep dropping screws on the road that I manage to collect with my front tyres.

ainarssems 3rd March 2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markr (Post 138487)
Big Al,

Cheers
Mark

It's dependant on driving style. For me front wears 2x as fast as rear, if rear tyres go from 8 to 6mm fronts are down to 4mm. If you swap them round at this point they will be the same again at 2mm ready to replace. Front does most of the braking and steering so it depends a lot on how hard are you braking and steering, if you drive gingerly the difference will be lower or even unnoticeable.

I have also noticed that all my cars wear left side(specially front) tyre faster than right side, I put it down to going round the roundabouts near the limit of grip putting more load on left side.

HPsauce 3rd March 2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 138516)
It's dependant on driving style.

I guess it is, mine wear remarkably evenly, but the mileage is mostly long journeys using cruise control with a boot full of luggage, so not much hard cornering as "the management" get critical... :rolleyes:
(Local journeys, of which there are plenty, are short and slow.)
But I also swap tyres twice a year (summer/winter) and my tyre man always advises which should go front/rear left/right to even out wear. I don't keep track myself, just leave it to him.

ainarssems 3rd March 2018 06:05 PM

Yes, forgot to mention driving conditions as well, long steady motorway journeys will have more even wear, I mostly do local short runs with a lot more braking and steering than motorways.:)

Markr 3rd March 2018 07:02 PM

Pretty much all my mileage is motorway and dual carriage way c. 90%. My tyre wear has been even across 8’s and 3 tyre brands, so I must be driving like Miss Daisy!

BigAl5 1st October 2019 12:22 PM

Thank for sharing that link. Very interesting.