A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   EML - error code P0221 (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15716)

RICKY D 2nd June 2020 10:58 AM

EML - error code P0221

Afternoon All,

I’ve been intermittently getting error code P0221 when the car is first started after being left overnight. I get the EML, ABS and ECS light up and the car cannot go above 3k rpm...basically limp mode. If I turn it off/on a few times it disappears and drives as normal.

A quick google search suggests this is the throttle position sensor. Are they all the same between part numbers for the FL S8?

Also where are they situated? I’m guessing somewhere near the throttle body area because they’re Fly by wire right?

I’m trying to get hold of my mate at TPS to find out the cost but he’s AWOL hahaha so if you have an approx idea please let me know too.

Thanks
Rich

MikkiJayne 2nd June 2020 02:32 PM

The position sensor is built in to the throttle body motor. Etka shows 077 133 062A fits all FL S8 and also FL2 A8. FL1 A8 is the same number without the A suffix.

077 133 062 fits AQG, AQF, ARU
077 133 062A fits AQH, AKC, AVP, AUW, AVN, BCS and AYS

The A part is fitted to loads more stuff after the D2 as well, right up to the 2008 Q7 so it should be simple enough to get hold of - lots on ebay.

HPsauce 2nd June 2020 03:17 PM

I vaguely recall there's a simple recalibration that can be done, either with VCDS or automatically with a simple sequence at ignition on? Might be worth a try if someone knows the simple version?

RICKY D 2nd June 2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 157896)
The position sensor is built in to the throttle body motor. Etka shows 077 133 062A fits all FL S8 and also FL2 A8. FL1 A8 is the same number without the A suffix.

077 133 062 fits AQG, AQF, ARU
077 133 062A fits AQH, AKC, AVP, AUW, AVN, BCS and AYS

The A part is fitted to loads more stuff after the D2 as well, right up to the 2008 Q7 so it should be simple enough to get hold of - lots on ebay.

Thank you MJ. That was just the information I was looking for +++

I’ll have a look around god that part number on EBay :D

RICKY D 2nd June 2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 157900)
I vaguely recall there's a simple recalibration that can be done, either with VCDS or automatically with a simple sequence at ignition on? Might be worth a try if someone knows the simple version?

Thank you. I’m assuming this is without having to replace the part?

I’ll have a search in google and see if I find any useful links of no one here has had that issue.

HPsauce 2nd June 2020 04:29 PM

Throttle Body Alignment it's called, VCDS version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zrmhDw_v7Y

MikkiJayne 2nd June 2020 05:12 PM

I'm sure it does a TB alignment itself in certain circumstances, although I can't remember what they are. Something like turn it on but don't start it or touch the pedals.

Can't hurt to try it with VCDS and see what it does though.

HPsauce 2nd June 2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 157904)
I'm sure it does a TB alignment itself in certain circumstances, although I can't remember what they are. Something like turn it on but don't start it or touch the pedals.

Yes, that's what I was thinking, but I can't recall exactly what you have to do.
But if you've got VCDS, do it that way and check/clear any errors too. Then do it again..... ;)

RICKY D 17th July 2020 06:16 PM

Quick update:

I fitted a new (used) part today which I sourced from EBay. The donor car was Q7 in the end and I paid £60 delivered.

The green beast certainly seems to drive better post part swap. I’ll monitor it over the next few weeks to see how it plays out. Normally I’d be driving the 8 more often, but since the COVID-19 outbreak I’ve been getting 4 weeks to the gallon :D

Thanks MJ and Andrew for the help - it was pretty straight forward to fit and then clear the error code afterwards. Took me about an hour all in with basic tools.

RICKY D 18th July 2020 10:21 AM

Another quick update:

I started the car this morning after being left over night ( this is normally when the error code rears it’s head) and it started beautifully. Zero dashboard errors, no hesitation and smooth idle.

The best part is it feels like I’ve gained 15/20 bhp :D I got so used to the sluggish feeling, and poor throttle response that I forgot how good these are when running optimally.