A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   D2 rear armrest with radio control buttons (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4169)

notorious 13th February 2012 10:01 AM

D2 rear armrest with radio control buttons

Hello everyone,

Surfing ETKA I found rear arm rest with 4 integrated buttons: Next song, Previous song, Volume up, Volume down. Buttons are available when you open arm rest and are located near two cup holders.

From electrical point of view these buttons are connected to the MFSW "data bus" wire and work just like those 4 steering wheel buttons. You can also switch off these rear buttons with driver door switch that controls rear windows operation if you don't want children to play with them.

Question: Does anybody have this rear armrest? I wonder if this arm rest has ever been fitted to UK-supplied cars. If yes, I wonder if all MFSW-equipped cars came with this rear armrest or whether is was a separate option.

Zip 13th February 2012 11:07 AM

They were standard fit on the A8L in the UK. I had the opportunity to buy the rear bench from an A8L from A8Parts a few years back, and was discussing the retrofit with Ian at the time, but given I have 2 very young children, the buttons would not have had much use to me...:o

PS: I have a MFSW, so the retrofit would not have been too hard.

Zip

IT 13th February 2012 11:26 AM

Yes, standard kit on D2 A8 LWB.

Not standard kit with MFSW, but does use the MFSW bus, so its a very easy retrofit to cars with the MFSW already... +++

notorious 13th February 2012 01:04 PM

Thanks guys

71camaro 13th February 2012 05:15 PM

I've not seen this on US cars, I've got a 2003 FE with MFSW, I assume it would retrofit to that? If so, where would I go about ordering this? And would it still work with an RNS-E retrofit?

notorious 13th February 2012 10:08 PM

Yes, it'll work with RNS-E retrofit if you already have MFSW.

You can order this off e-bay from broken LWB car. Worth asking A8 Parts (this is what I'm doing now) :) It is also available from audi dealer of course.

Ian, do you know if it is possible to transplant just the buttons + electric board to an armrest which was originally without buttons? I'm afraid searching e-bay for the right color and good leather condition can take forever.

71camaro 14th February 2012 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 33904)
Ian, do you know if it is possible to transplant just the buttons + electric board to an armrest which was originally without buttons? I'm afraid searching e-bay for the right color and good leather condition can take forever.

Same question, I've got the butterscotch FE interior, and I doubt I'd ever find that color.

notorious 14th February 2012 01:40 PM

Received reply from A8 Parts:

"We do not have that in stock at the moment
D2 LWB are not very common and do not get them in very often"

71camaro 14th February 2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 33942)
Received reply from A8 Parts:

"We do not have that in stock at the moment
D2 LWB are not very common and do not get them in very often"

That doesn't answer whether the electronics would swap to the SWB center armrest without swapping the whole part though. I'd be willing to buy new if I knew it swapped.

Oli18 20th February 2012 08:19 PM

Does anyone have a picture of one? Not sure I've seen one before :)