A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   D3 Xenon headlight performance (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13681)

mannyo 20th December 2017 08:04 AM

D3 Xenon headlight performance

So

I used the D3 at night for the first time in ages yesterday, and it was quiet apparent the light output of the headlights is poor. I'll take a stab and say the 14 year old Xenon bulbs are beyond their best and maybe shifting colour temperature.

I thing they will be D2S bulbs, perhaps someone can confirm. I am also guessing its a major ballache to change them?

I have no workshop faclilities and only a muddy driveway to work on, anyone fancy changing the bulbs if I get replacements.

The headlights are not clouded over, as I had them sorted last year to get through the MOT as they had fogged up badly.

snapdragon 20th December 2017 09:28 AM

Mine are too, new bulbs didn't help so much. I polished the coating off the outsides due to aging but the inside optics are milky. It's not really the time of year for sticking some microfibre in the back on some wire as I have sene on youtube. Were yours cloudy inside or outside?
If you do change the bulbs, just do one first and then see what the difference is, otherwise you will never be able to decide if it is placebo effect. To change them you really have to remove the front wheel arch liner and this is easier when it's warmed up a bit rather than stiff and cold.
Once the liner is moved you can steer the wheel out of the way and access is very easy if, not the airbox and power steering reservoir may need temporarily moving.. Doing from under the wheelarch is much easier even if it sounds difficult.

Johnmed 20th December 2017 10:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I bought some replacement LED headlights for mine, and realised as awkward as it was I didn’t need to remove the wheel arch, bumper or headlight. I did partially remove the power steering reservoir mount on the near side, and would have likely removed the air box on the far side.

It was a horrid job and ultimately pointless as the LEDs I’d bought didn’t fit my xenon (D2S) headlight enclosure. I’ll attach a few pics, don’t know if it will help.

It made me less likely to replace the bulbs TBH, just cos of how much of a pain access is.

Architex_mA8tey 20th December 2017 11:06 AM

Mine were just changed for me by one of my mechanics. its a bit of a faff to do it - things like the air box have to come out on the offside one.

I bought these from Jawad Malik at Xenon Bulbs Ltd in Leeds - he supplies a lot of the car guys with bulbs and has his own Xenon bulbs made which keeps the price down. Pleased to say so far they are very good -
http://www.xenonbulbs.co.uk/Xenon-HI...S/OEM-D2S-PAIR

The only other thing you can do if that doesnt improve things is to either replace the Projectors themselves in the headlight units with new Morimoto ones (Trups does this at EM Tuning at a cost) or change the headlights for a new one

tonupkid 20th December 2017 07:18 PM

Worth bearing in mind that higher K bulbs will be all white and bright and all that, but just wait until your in rain or, heaven forbid, mist. You'll be driving blind.
IIRC the OEM is 4300k.

H-M3 20th December 2017 09:05 PM

What does the ballast do then? Does that have any link with brightness?

HPsauce 20th December 2017 09:25 PM

The ballast generates the high voltage that drives the bulb. Can be up to 20,000V to ignite and 85V to run.

mannyo 21st December 2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 135939)
Worth bearing in mind that higher K bulbs will be all white and bright and all that, but just wait until your in rain or, heaven forbid, mist. You'll be driving blind.
IIRC the OEM is 4300k.

I think the shift in colour temperature is whats going on with my bulbs, I swear that with the slightly damp road with oncoming traffic it was literally like driving with the lights switched off.

neeldub 21st December 2017 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mannyo (Post 135922)
So

I used the D3 at night for the first time in ages yesterday, and it was quiet apparent the light output of the headlights is poor. I'll take a stab and say the 14 year old Xenon bulbs are beyond their best and maybe shifting colour temperature.

I thing they will be D2S bulbs, perhaps someone can confirm. I am also guessing its a major ballache to change them?

I have no workshop faclilities and only a muddy driveway to work on, anyone fancy changing the bulbs if I get replacements.

The headlights are not clouded over, as I had them sorted last year to get through the MOT as they had fogged up badly.

I would have gladly helped if you were in London or the surrounding areas mate

H-M3 22nd December 2017 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neeldub (Post 135974)
I would have gladly helped if you were in London or the surrounding areas mate

Good forum spirit +++