A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Not a Happy Bunny at the moment! (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14201)

steamship 31st May 2018 09:34 PM

Not a Happy Bunny at the moment!

Just in from a hour and a half finishing of the car. Has to have been the most expensive Chinese takeaway ever! Having spent the last two days trying to get the car ready for the annual meet, I finished around 7pm. Got cleaned up, headed off to fill her up, and then to the local takeaway as was too tired to make anything.

Parked nose into the kerb. Seemed okay when I looked at it whilst waiting on my order, with at least an inch of clearance. You can guess the rest. :-(

When I got home, I discovered that after the last work was done on it, the undertray wasn't replaced. This meant that the bottom of the bumper wasn't secured either, so was hanging lower. Also turns out that the bumper wasn't secured properly at either side. Something to catch the kerb and not a lot of screws in place to hold it there. The broken foglight mounts are the least of my concerns.

Spanker 31st May 2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 142112)
Just in from a hour and a half finishing of the car. Has to have been the most expensive Chinese takeaway ever! Having spent the last two days trying to get the car ready for the annual meet, I finished around 7pm. Got cleaned up, headed off to fill her up, and then to the local takeaway as was too tired to make anything.

Parked nose into the kerb. Seemed okay when I looked at it whilst waiting on my order, with at least an inch of clearance. You can guess the rest. :-(

When I got home, I discovered that after the last work was done on it, the undertray wasn't replaced. This meant that the bottom of the bumper wasn't secured either, so was hanging lower. Also turns out that the bumper wasn't secured properly at either side. Something to catch the kerb and not a lot of screws in place to hold it there. The broken foglight mounts are the least of my concerns.

I feel for you Sean :(
I thought I was the only one to have a last minute disaster.
I was cleaning the inside of my car this evening when I noticed that the passenger floor was wet.
I took the dash side panel off and unhooked the orange connector to find the usual air-con drain culprit. So I unblocked it (the other side can wait) and am in the process of drying everything out - mats and chipboard relay box cover.
And I only just checked to see if everything was dry last week. :mad:
I should have been more thorough.
But I'm sure it'll be OK in the morning though.
I hope you can make good for tomorrow +++

steamship 31st May 2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanker (Post 142113)
I hope you can make good for tomorrow +++

I'll be there. +++ Nothing a big roll of black gaffer tape won't fix! :ROFL:

HPsauce 31st May 2018 10:10 PM

Been there, done that. :-( More than once. :o On BOTH S8's. :angry2:
As a result I have a fairly comprehensive selection of plastic and metal fasteners for wheel arches, undertray, bumper etc. all in the car. And I'm probably not alone. :rolleyes:
Get the Duct Tape out and we'll see what we can do between us.

And if the back edge of the bumper is damaged (likely) bring a small saw that can cut frayed edges off. Stanley blade with various options is what I used.

MikkiJayne 1st June 2018 05:59 AM

Yup, btdt, albeit with the A6. Got hung up on a kerb and had to just drive off with all the horrendous crunching that ensued. At least on an FL D2 you can replace the bottom half of the bumper without having to paint it.

If it makes you feel any better, having worked on my car solidly since Vera's left, I still have the front discs and pads to change before we leave at 10:00 thanks to Euro Car Parts unwavering commitment to utter incompetence. By 4pm yesterday I told them to cancel the week-old order and MPD have promised they will get them by 08:30 :eek:

Always something last minute http://www.corradov8.com/pics/banghead.gif

moltuae 1st June 2018 07:36 AM

Same here - done that too. I know just how you feel Sean. Almost ripped my bumper off in exactly the same way once.

I usually reverse up to kerbs now or stop short of over-hanging them.

tc4332 1st June 2018 08:03 AM

If in doubt . . . raise the suspension.
Get out and have a look.

I once had to travel back from Tossa del mar, Spain without a handbrake in a coach once 'cos I ripped off the mechanism leaving the hotel coach park.

I have learnt to use the lift capability at the slightest sign of a possible problem.
Have you noticed the overhang on some of these modern coaches?

27litres 4th June 2018 05:41 AM

Btdt too!

I trick I learned from a mate (for next time) is as soon as you realise you're hooked up on the curb, find something (like a couple of blocks of wood) you can shove in behind the front wheels to make the car climb up as you reverse it.
Can prevent (further) damage...

J i m s t e r 4th June 2018 07:30 AM

Happened to the Mrs in her A4. Some plastic poppers had failed on the undertray so it was hanging down a little and when she reversed backwards, it caught on the far side of the kerb and pulled the front end off about 4 inches.

Car went back on a flatbed.

Then because she was in the carpark longer than the allocated stay, she was hit with a fine, and they enclosed an ANPR picture of her car leaving the carpark. On a flatbed.

We explained the circumstances but they continued to send us demands for payment. I won't say what I thought, but it rhymes with bankstains.

Deamnds lasted all last year.

They've given up now.+++

Every cloud etc.

jamoca 4th June 2018 01:26 PM

Ouch.

Not the same or nearly as serious, but had a "somewhat" related experience.

Took the 8 on a long road trip down to Switzerland / Italy, and on the deristricted autobahn I started hearing some awful flapping noises below the car past around 120mph, which while isn't devastating, was slightly disappointing as having given the suspension and tracking some serious tinkering the week before, I'd been looking forward to seeing what it could do!

As I arrived in Zurich, a friendly motorist flagged me down and told me that "a bit of your car is hanging off the bottom and dragging along the road". The ****s who did my tracking hadn't fastened the undertray back properly and it had dragged all along the autobahn and shredded itself to bits. A few cable ties and spare screws sorted me for the trip, and a new undertray after.

No bodywork damage like you'd described, but why people can't have enough pride to fasten things up properly is beyond me.