A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Speeding fines (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12922)

audia8driver 22nd April 2017 04:39 PM

Speeding fines

Hello,

Am I right in saying from next week, speeding fines will increase to half your income, full income or one and half times your income?

mannyo 22nd April 2017 05:41 PM

There is a change, but only to speeding cases that go to court. The situation for minor offences, eg. Speed Awareness course or 3 points and a fixed fine remain the same.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/18773/spee...ding-penalties

tintin 22nd April 2017 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audia8driver (Post 126956)
Hello,

Am I right in saying from next week, speeding fines will increase to half your income, full income or one and half times your income?

Weekly income. You had me worried there. Though not as worried as I would have been a few years ago: I'll never forget the - only - time I was ever in court on a speeding charge, and the judge asked me in open court how much I earned - even though she had that information written on my form in front of her.

In those days the judge had more discretion, in one sense at least ;)

audia8driver 22nd April 2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mannyo (Post 126959)
There is a change, but only to speeding cases that go to court. The situation for minor offences, eg. Speed Awareness course or 3 points and a fixed fine remain the same.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/18773/spee...ding-penalties

Ok thank you, was very worried doing the odd weekly motorway run

audia8driver 22nd April 2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 126964)
Weekly income. You had me worried there. Though not as worried as I would have been a few years ago: I'll never forget the - only - time I was ever in court on a speeding charge, and the judge asked me in open court how much I earned - even though she had that information written on my form in front of her.

In those days the judge had more discretion, in one sense at least ;)

Yes. I'd be very worried too.

They might as well put speed limiters to 75mph on all uk cars:tuttut:

YorkshireBloke 25th April 2017 07:34 PM

Enthusiasts need "Idiot Control" as much as Joe Public imho

Hi,

Small rant.

Idiots spoil my fun. PC Plod is NOT looking well enough for spiffing / drinking / kids-in-car / racing other young drivers (not all at once! :ROFL:) .

IMHO there is an over-reliance on tech to trap speed without context, trivial, easily proved errors like unpaid road-tax but not reckless driving.

Allow me to share....

I was On The Bench for several years; a Magistrate. The worst speeding case I heard was punished less severely than I wanted but still big fine and ban.:(

I wasn't angered by the speed (123 mph), or where it happened (M1, up hill, straight road, no history of accidents) or even the (spit!) BMW M3 that did the deed...

It was the context. F&£*ing Rush hour. :tuttut: Friday. Not 2 am. Not Bank Holiday Monday.

Driver was a Knob, with bells on. :mad: If ever I meet up with you folks at an Oners Club Bash I'll share the defences put forward. Shameful and insulting imho. :tuttut:

Not sitting as a Magistrate anymore, was a privilege but maybe I was a too bothered and got bored with being "summoned to the Office " to explain myself :o.

Wasn't drummed out or owt, just realised doing things "to the Guidelines" was far more restrictive than I imagined...

Miss it though. :rolleyes:

Robert

audia8driver 26th April 2017 09:12 PM

Oh ok, small rant it is.

I know driver instinct has not changed over the years, but car safety, better brakes, tyres etc has, so why doesn't the law or rules change to reflect this.

80 mph should be allowed on the motorways.

I agree idiots who are not careful drivers, should be punished as they are a danger to themselves and other drivers.

YorkshireBloke 26th April 2017 09:41 PM

Agreed.

Hi,

Have calmed down now... :o

You make my point, prosecute danger, not speed.

Robert

tonupkid 27th April 2017 07:35 PM

Next rant. On the A38 dual carriageway near to me, they have installed average speed cameras, which is kind of understandable due to biker fatalities. But why FFS have they also dropped the speed limit to 60. Do one or the other, but not both.

Glync 28th April 2017 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 127245)
Next rant. On the A38 dual carriageway near to me, they have installed average speed cameras, which is kind of understandable due to biker fatalities. But why FFS have they also dropped the speed limit to 60. Do one or the other, but not both.

Which section is that mate, i havent been up that way to Derby for a while, i often join around Alrewas having cut through Tamworth from my office?

These stealth taxes are growing and if we sat down and worked out our actual rate of tax the motorist is being hammered, lord knows these latest road fund licence changes are going to hammer everyone. Then many of the local cities are looking into a congestion charge zone akin to Londons. And fuel prices are held artificially high even when the raw material cost falls ....Don't get me started :-(