A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Audi S8 D2 Facelift Xenon light types (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7926)

H24k 2nd April 2014 06:28 PM

Audi S8 D2 Facelift Xenon light types

4 Attachment(s)
I own 2 S8 D2s Both facelifts, and for some reason my older 99 green S8 which has the earlier pre facelift badges has much nicer looking headlights than the newer 2000 model, both are xenons and while doing a search I can see that most D2 facelift S8s seem to have the older looking type which are on my silver 2000 S8, ive added some pics and would appreciate if anyone knows the differences. Thanks

PsYcHe 2nd April 2014 06:40 PM

The Silver one has the bi-xenon lights which are more desirable and as far as I'm aware 'better' lights to have.

IT 2nd April 2014 06:48 PM

Yup.

The silver one 'lifts' the dipped beam xenon up vertically to give full beam.

The green one has a regular halogen for its main beam.

Bi-xenons are my preference, as xenon for full beam looks more modern, but some folk prefer the projector look of the standard xenons...+++

mannyo 2nd April 2014 07:08 PM

The Bi-Xenon headlights (Silver) are also incredibly expensive to replace, around £900 a side when compared to the cheaper standard Xenon on the green car. Secondhand the Bi-Xenon very rarely come up for sale and when they do they sell very quickly because they are the ones to have. A8parts have a used one on ebay right now, almost £300 each.

H24k 2nd April 2014 07:32 PM

Thanks for replies guys, I only noticed the differences the other day while washing the cars, the Silver car is my main car which ive owned for several years, and the green one im about to sell and was thinking to swap the headlights, however after the info you guys have provided I wont be changing them after all! lol

tintin 2nd April 2014 07:47 PM

Replacement cost of Bi-Xenon

Quote:

Originally Posted by mannyo (Post 71336)
The Bi-Xenon headlights (Silver) are also incredibly expensive to replace, around £900 a side when compared to the cheaper standard Xenon on the green car. Secondhand the Bi-Xenon very rarely come up for sale and when they do they sell very quickly because they are the ones to have. A8parts have a used one on ebay right now, almost £300 each.

Presumably that's for the whole unit.? What's the cost of a replacing a Bi-Xenon blown bulb? - I seem to remember a thread on here about different options.

The_Laird 2nd April 2014 07:57 PM

David recently got stung by his local garage fitting a replacement bi-xenon bulb for an MOT without asking. They got it from Audi and charged about £70 IIRC. On ebay, you can get them for around £10 or less.

tintin 2nd April 2014 08:02 PM

Cheers, I've got a replacement bulb in at the moment from Halfords, but it's not ideal, so just checking the options. First main bulb I've had to replace in 6 years, so that's not bad really….

Architex_mA8tey 2nd April 2014 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I should also add that I prefer the xenon look to the xenon pluses but also when the side lights are on I think that they look better. The side light fills the whole reflector instead of a piddley little circle at the top inner edge which does nothing for my OCD lol +++

Architex_mA8tey 2nd April 2014 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Closer shot of xenon sidelight -